Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Invalid Validation posted:

Looked like he got his rear end handed to him until his buddies with guns came to help.

Yeah, I liked this fight because it felt like Rogers didn't get to be some amazing swordsman just because he was a protagonist. There were a couple times where Teach would have run him through if he hadn't gotten knocked around by the other random fights going on, including where his sword gets knocked out of his hand right before he was about to stab him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Holyshoot posted:

Because that would be lovely TV. Lmao.

I dunno, I thought it was lovely for them to just run up the white flag, no questions asked. I'm not expecting Rackham to have gone "beep boop, survival chances maximized by destroying other ship," but there were better ways to have done it suggested in this very thread. Another small fight scene where the marines storm onto Rackham's ship would have worked, for instance.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

What is with all the spoiler bars? Especially for the aired episodes, but even for the historical stuff. Look, without knowing anything specific, I'd bet that literally none of the historical pirates had happy endings where they retired to a cottage somewhere. And I'm pretty sure Nassau doesn't get taken over by the pirate rebellion, because I was there when I was ten and I'm pretty sure it wasn't ruled by a colorful gang of pirates and whores. My mother would not have been okay with that, for one thing.

Did it ruin Deadwood to find out the real Al Swearengen died penniless in the gutter? gently caress no, because that had nothing to do with the show.

meristem posted:

The show continues to make the pirates too strong and 'noble'. Rackham didn't have a hero crush for Vane, he took his ship from him. Blackbeard died from a random cut to the neck, not in a 10-minute scene with a captive audience. And all this talk of a glorious revolution is just... ehh.

But that's the point! It's a loving television show, it borrows the bits from history that it likes and makes up the rest, because it makes a fun story. Blackbeard may have fallen for the same trick he did IRL because they thought it was a neat way to do it, but Ned Lowe died in wildly different circumstances. It doesn't matter what actually happened in the history books because we are not watching a historical recreation, we're watching a fun pirate action drama.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Were Jack and Anne really that infamous, though? I think as far as the British were concerned, it was Edward Teach and a bunch of random pirates. So if you've got this big hulking dude who wants to fight pirates and smash 'em with a hammer, let him go nuts, whatever.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

MiddleOne posted:

In season 1 they spend the entire season chasing a Spanish treasure galleon. Silver steal the information about its whereabouts and burns the original documents, making him the only one who knows where it is and invaluable to Flint (The captain). As Flint, Gates(the quartermaster) and Billy(At this point just some random crewman) try to work out how to deal with Silver Flint gets his captaincy challenged. However, Flint outwits and kills this challenger by having Silver lie to the crew about a piece of information. Billy and Gates knows about this and Billy is very conflicted. Billy eventually confronts Flint about this a couple of episodes later in the middle of a storm and Flint pushes him/lets him fall into the ocean.

Time goes and they keep getting closer to the galleon until they think they've finally found it, but instead they find a massive Spanish warship at its supposed location. Gates tries to get Flint to back down from the obviously suicidal attack but Flint chokes him out in the captain's quarter with the support of Silver. Flint walks out, tells everyone and the attack is on. This then culminates in the season 1 finale where the two pirate vessels under Flint's command get utterly annihilated by the warship. They then wash up on a beach which as it turns out is right next to the beach where surprise the actual treasure galleon had shipwrecked (explaining its absence), this the season cliffhanger.

There's also a lot of subplots going on but that's the general gist of it.

I still think that they woulda had a chance against that warship if Four-Eyes Wusspirate hadn't chosen that moment to try to mutiny again.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Really glad this show stuck the ending. Absolutely loved the way they resolved everything.

For some reason it didn't seem too sappy that Flint not only wasn't shot, but got a happy ending of sorts with William. Going into this I wouldn't have thought I'd buy an ending where Flint didn't end up dead, but I still thought that felt about perfect.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Roman Reigns posted:

Sooo was Flint sold into slavery basically or was Thomas bought for his freedom?

Fantastic ending to a fantastic show, in any case. Toby Stephens loving killed it.

I think it was basically a minimum-security prison colony in Savannah that the upper-class in Britain used to send away people that they couldn't have in public, like their gay son who had unacceptable ideas about pardoning the pirates of Nassau. I imagine it's a mix of well-to-do political prisoners and crazy/gay relatives of wealthy families.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

I tend to assume a scene that's actually shown on screen is real, unless it's specifically called out as a fantasy. If Silver had just told Madi "Yeah, we sent him to a farm upstate where he can run around and chase the cows," then I'd think there was a chance he was lying, but the fact that they actually cut away and showed them arriving at the colony, all the way up to Flint embracing Thomas, makes me assume that this is what actually happened. It would feel kinda cheaty for them to "show" a fantasy, right down to the details that Silver wouldn't have known about.

• Locked thread