Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

meristem posted:

But that's my point! My beef is not that the show changed history, it's how it changed it. Rackham going emo for Vane (and since now, presumably, Blackbeard) turned him into a stereotype of a daddy issues sufferer, which is especially painful because the historical Rackham didn't seem to care that much about either. Silver and Flint are now endlessly politically sermonizing. Boring *and* unnecessary, especially given that the historical pirates were not much for political foresight. (In fact, all this talk from Flint about "raising all the New World" stinks painfully of the show writers going, wink-wink, there will be a revolution in America within a century, so our Mary Sue will be vindicated then (ain't we clever).) And while Blackbeard dying without having achieved much was awesome, dying from a random neck wound could have been Khal Drogo level of fun.

It's not that they changed history, it's that history was more fun.

Just read the General History of Pyrates, it's awesome and online for free.

It's not based on history, it's based on Treasure Island, and Robert Louis Stevenson probably didn't know how most of the actual living pirates died or if the really truly lived. TI was written to romanticize the pirate era and its players, not to provide an accurate history lesson.

I thought Blackbeard actually died presumably from hanging on an island off the Carolinas, for instance. So what? Way more brutal to have him die from a shot to the head after being keelhauled three times and refusing to die.

The show is a historical fiction with liberties taken, based on a piece of classic literature that is a work of historical fiction with liberties taken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

She's also an uninteresting, trifling, long-winded character with an inflated sense of self-importance and always seems to be trying to reach above her station in everything. She constantly over-estimates her importance to others as well, and then it blows up in her face when she finds out she's not as important to whomever as she thought she was.

She's fun to look at but damned if I don't think she should've been killed off early in the show because ugh. It's not the actress at all; she's good except for the accent. It's the character.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

At least the writers know when the show should end, and not only that, but they also appear to have an idea of just how it should end rather than playing it by ear.

Far too many shows on the air these days *cough* regular primetime networks *cough* just refuse to die like that nobody Spanish soldier, and their plots are generally stupid as gently caress; it's like they are hiring teenagers to write the episodes because it's all about children in adult bodies having romantic encounters and vague hints of an actual plot around those romantic encounters. Quantico, for instance, is about the FBI academy, but what you actually get out of that is that is drivel about a bunch of adults acting like high schoolers instead of future FBI agents, centered around romantic plot lines and sex. It's pretty much a cross between a fanfic and a YA novel in television form, as are most shows on prime networks.

While Black Sails has writing, cinematography and acting that far surpasses what you'd find in most shows, it's time for it to go. I'll be sad to see it go because it's one of my favorite shows, but when great shows end on premium networks, it paves the way for more great shows.

• Locked thread