Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
The show continues to make the pirates too strong and 'noble'. Rackham didn't have a hero crush for Vane, he took his ship from him. Blackbeard died from a random cut to the neck, not in a 10-minute scene with a captive audience. And all this talk of a glorious revolution is just... ehh.

I'm fully expecting that next they will take Rodgers' successful defence of Nassau from Spain, and give it to Flint, or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meristem
Oct 2, 2010

Phenotype posted:

But that's the point! It's a loving television show, it borrows the bits from history that it likes and makes up the rest, because it makes a fun story. Blackbeard may have fallen for the same trick he did IRL because they thought it was a neat way to do it, but Ned Lowe died in wildly different circumstances. It doesn't matter what actually happened in the history books because we are not watching a historical recreation, we're watching a fun pirate action drama.
But that's my point! My beef is not that the show changed history, it's how it changed it. Rackham going emo for Vane (and since now, presumably, Blackbeard) turned him into a stereotype of a daddy issues sufferer, which is especially painful because the historical Rackham didn't seem to care that much about either. Silver and Flint are now endlessly politically sermonizing. Boring *and* unnecessary, especially given that the historical pirates were not much for political foresight. (In fact, all this talk from Flint about "raising all the New World" stinks painfully of the show writers going, wink-wink, there will be a revolution in America within a century, so our Mary Sue will be vindicated then (ain't we clever).) And while Blackbeard dying without having achieved much was awesome, dying from a random neck wound could have been Khal Drogo level of fun.

It's not that they changed history, it's that history was more fun.

Inspector 34 posted:

Do you guys have any recommendations what books/resources I should look for to read up on how this all went down? It would be awesome if a writer like Erik Larson tackled the subject since his books read more like novels rather than dry, boring history text books.
Just read the General History of Pyrates, it's awesome and online for free.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010

CrazyLoon posted:

Whoever called the role reversal between Rogers and Flint in what comes next seems to have been on the money.
That would have been, unfortunately, me. I say "unfortunately", because I did so coming at the issue from an adversarial, "how can the writers twist history again to suit their Mary Sues" standpoint, and wanting to be dissapointed. (I still like the show, when it doesn’t try to be political.) Even I didn't suspect that they would make Woodes Rodgers effectively a traitor to achieve that, though.

unlawfulsoup posted:

This really is the weakest season so far. Countless choices that just don't really make any sense in the Black Sails world.
The show, as it presents itself via speeches from Flint and now Rodgers, seems to be wedded to this libertarian concept where government/"civilization", as they call it - whether Spanish or English, which is apparently the same - is inherently oppressive and evil. Currently, apparently, mixed with a healthy dose of Marxist dialectic, as presented from the side of the bourgeoisie (omg, what if all the poor united and decided to eat the rich? The international rich must unite and strike first!).

...Of course, once the speechifying ends, they are clever enough to show that in reality, the interests of 'the poor' differ (Julius) and that any government, even that arisen via a Glorious Pirate Revolution, does find itself needing a monopoly on power. So that's a very good argument for 'more action, less talking'. The last bit of which advise I now apply to me.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
What a great episode. Grandma Guthrie was magnificent, and I loved that conversation with Max. Good to see Eleanor's life work not going to nothing. On the other side, glad to see Flint and Silver finally cutting down on the boring politics and pirate revolution and pirate kingdom talk, and moving towards what's important - in this case, Madi. I like how the show keeps us uncertain whether she'll be Silver's Treasure Island wife, or if Billy will, after all, kill her. A part of me hopes for the former (happy ending!), a part for the latter (much better drama!).

I think that, between Julius expressing doubts about the pirates, Max being opposed to slavery, and Rodgers already offering to make Nassau a safe haven, the ex-slaves will be the winners in this race. There is enough goodwill (or at least apathy) towards them, as opposed to the pirates, even among the British. And, of course, this would mean that it wouldn't all be "for nothing", as Silver now despairs.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
Spain retreating makes perfect sense if you accept that everyone in the show really subscribes to the dumb theory that the pirate uprising is somehow an existential threat to the entire civilisation. If it's an existential threat, then of course countries, even countries at war, should band together and pool resources against it, and not abuse one another over a victory.

It's just that... This theory is dumb.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
Good episode again. I loved the focus on Anne and Max.

Glad to see Flint back to his usual "my way or the highway, I lost my beau so you can't have yours either" hypocrisy.

Also loved the Conrad-esque "what if there's nothing but horror?" Silver is finally realising that Flint has no plan for after the war, probably because he plans for them all to die fighting. Heh.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
Eh, it's no more of a stretch than to assume that pirates were any sort of ideologically-minded revolutionaries. Or that they gave a gently caress about slavery.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
Yeah, that's some gross equivocation you're performing here. First, "black people" does not equal "freed slaves". You're forgetting free native Africans, for instance. And second, these data refer to the early 19th century. A hundred years after the Golden Age of Piracy when Black Sails takes place. (That's also why the reference to 'Black African-Americans' is not aberrant.)

In this context, such a high estimate does makes sense. The second Atlantic slave trade topped from about 1740 until the end of the 18th century. The pool of black people crossing the Atlantic, free and enslaved, was then huge, much larger than in the first half.

For pirates acting within The Golden Age, "opportunistic" sounds - according to the very book that you quote through Wikipedia - actually like a very good descriptor of pirates' attitudes towards black sailors. "Pragmatic" is another. Yeah, there were black pirates. Teach had 5 of them on his crew of 18, which is even more than the 20%. And some, like Kidd's mate, were even in authority positions. But once again, not all these black pirates were freed slaves. And, conversely, the book states, "pirates generally sold captured slaves with the rest of their plunder" (after raping the women). Ned Lowe apparently lured black sailors onto his ship and then sold them off. There is a record of a black sailor who used being enslaved by the pirates in his defence at a trial. And despite Kidd's mate, again, the very book you quoted confirms that it's true that there existed a racial division, that black sailors were usually pressed into more menial tasks.

So please, stop with the pretence that pirates gave an ideological gently caress about slavery. They gave it about nothing except short-term profits, really. Not about any revolutions, either.

The funny thing about the 'revolution' thing is, I remember Pirates of the Caribbean doing the same thing, and my and many reviews I read being similarly weirded out about it.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010

CrazyLoon posted:

In the terms of this show, I don't feel weirded out by that premise at all, because it does make perfect sense. Chiefly, because beneath Flint's rhetoric is a very simple and personal reason - he lost his home and people he loved to this thing called civilization (buggery hiss!), so he intends to make it pay.

Except... Flint's backstory is the show's invention as well. He didn't have to be like this - there's nothing in TI to beheld the showrunners to the particular choice of 'disgraced former Navy officer, tragic love backstory'. So, the showrunners' train of thought probably started from "we want a pirate revolution", and only then went in the direction of "...so we need to give Flint a good reason to lead it."

And so the question is - why did they feel they needed a pirate revolution? To feed into this whole "pirates as egalitarian freedom fighters" myth that barely even fit into a PG13 movie based on a Disney ride - and even there was found to be a little bit too much for some critics?

I dunno... I think I gripe about it because it seems to me like taking an easy, boring choice: "Our characters are the good guys. You know this because they are working-class bros who fight for FREEDOM. Also, in case you were worried about liking them, they exhibit a progressive 21st century mentality about racism. And, if you're a female viewer, they have barely even raped anyone since Season 1! And they don't really even care about religion! They are ideologues, really."

But fair enough. I've spoken my part, and it's two episodes until the end. The preview for the next episode apparently includes a Joji duel. So there is that, at least.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010

Fauxshiz posted:

Well I stayed up stupid late to watch this early. It was super satisfying.
Jack and Anne continue to be the absolute best part of this show.

Glad that Silver had the insight to finally call Flint's little war for the nonsense act of blind rage that it was. Also glad that cooler heads prevailed in the Maroon camp. I wish Flint suffered for all the people who had died following his stupid ideas, but the show at least made the effort to convince me that at least this way, there are no martyrs.

Best part, no freedom-fighter pirate ideologues anywhere in sight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meristem
Oct 2, 2010

Roman Reigns posted:

Sooo was Flint sold into slavery basically or was Thomas bought for his freedom?

Flint, like a pet, totally went to the farm in the country. By which I mean, Silver killed him and was spinning a white lie to Madi.

• Locked thread