Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

savinhill posted:

Yeah, it's really stupid and it makes Rackham just about the worst pirate captain in history.

I mean....he kind of was. Well there were some phenomenally lovely ones, so that's not fair, but he was a bit of a gently caress up. I mean the way he went out in history as far as the story goes was he was drunk as poo poo, and only Anne and Mary Read were sober enough to fight, so he got captured and executed. His life was basically an alternating story of doing something amazingly bold and then colossally loving it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

life is killing me posted:

TI was written to romanticize the pirate era and its players

To be fair, it really doesn't try to do that. Like Silver is a fairly ambiguous figure. He's kind of a bastard, but he also just sort of sees piracy as a job and plans to retire with his wife, and he's not particularly cruel or anything, but he will absolutely gently caress over anyone in any situation if it benefits him. And the other pirates are worse, lacking even his basic humanity. Jim in the beginning of the novel is certainly the type of lad to buy into all that adventure bullshit, but by the end he's all "Yeah there's totally silver still on that island, but gently caress if I'm going back for it. Land rocks, the sea sucks a hobos rear end in a top hat.". The story of pretty much all it's invented pirates not Silver is "Died of drinking too much, couldn't manage their money worth a drat" or "Brutally murdered". It's very much about the end of the age, and I don't know that it particularly spices up or romanticizes the lives of pirates. It's just told so well and Silver is such a powerful figure that it changed the consciousness in spite of that.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Feb 16, 2017

• Locked thread