Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

As Nero Danced posted:

That was a really satisfying conclusion. They did a pretty good job.

Crap now what, this filled the role of Spartacus for me and now its over. Is there another historical fantasy show in the pipeline other than that white princess thing?

Coming up, other than further seasons of Vikings and Outlander, nothing that exactly fits the bill.

But, doing the rounds there are a couple of things coming up: a second season of The Last Kingdom coming to Netflix, if not already there. Netflix is also adding a historical Western called Godless, produced by Steven Soderbergh. Hulu just started a new show, Harlots, about brothels in historical England. (I've not seen it, but it's getting good enough reviews that make me think it could be worth a once over). Ridley Scott is producing The Terror, a show about a shipwreked crew in frozen Canada, to air later this year on AMC. There's another new Western/Dynasty mashup coming to AMC in the next month or so, called The Son. And finally there's a young William Shakespeare show coming to TNT later this year, but no-one knows exactly when it'll be airing.

And there's probably something else I've forgotten -- but nothing particularly swashbucklely, unfortunately.

In terms of back catelogue worth checking out, I'm particularly partial to Da Vinici's Demons. It's really fun fluff, particularly once season 2 rolls around. STARZ also has Outlander and Pillars Of The Earth in its back catalogue, both good -- though there is an honestly offputting amount of sexual violence in Outlander.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Alienwarehouse posted:

Toby Stephens crushed it in this series, and I hope he lands some good roles elsewhere in the future because of it.

He's the lead on Netflix's Lost In Space.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Terry Grunthouse posted:

what if they made, like, a gritty re-imagining of Lost in Space

he'd be pretty great in that

They've cast Parker Posey as Doctor Smith, so the show could be anywhere tonally.

Not that I'm saying that Posey is bad, far from it, but she's just as famous for her comedic roles as her serious ones, and gay-ish male villain reimagined as female character is suggestive of camp. I'm totally up for either version tbh.

• Locked thread