Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

PlushCow posted:

It sure was. What a tough bastard.

Pretty good episode with only one annoyance for me. I don't understand why they had the fight between Rogers/Anne/Jack happen the way it happened. A captured pirate has a death sentence, Anne and Blackbeard were as good as dead, and Rackham was safely away in the Queen Anne's Revenge and couldve shot the poo poo out of Rogers ship, but surrender? Like ok its a tv show and they are trying to fit, loosely, how these people end up in history, but they should've had the ships fight yardarm to yardarm and then Rogers couldve taken both over that way and it wouldve made much more sense.

Also enjoyed Captain Berringer's little speech to Rogers at the beginning. Was great setting the tone for the whole episode.

I completely agree. I like this show, but it made 0 sense. There is no reason someone as smart as Rackham would basically doom EVERYONE to a death sentence when you have the threat of being able to literally annihilate the other ship. Easily the worst writing on this show, makes no logical sense.

unlawfulsoup fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Feb 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
This really is the weakest season so far. Countless choices that just don't really make any sense in the Black Sails world. I am sure the Spanish are going to go out on a limb to clean up the British mess, doubly so when they are at war. What the gently caress is to say that this isn't a ploy to attack Cuba by luring all of your dumb asses to crush some stupid revolt. I mean Nassau has been ruled by pirates for god knows how long, and society didn't collapse, what the gently caress difference does it make now to the Spanish. Not to mention the Governor of Cuba basically having a personal reason to hate Rogers.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
I know people here will find some goofy explanation, but why the gently caress are the Spanish okay with not getting the gold now? It is literally one of the dumbest turns on this show, just about up there with Rackham surrendering to a loving sloop. Spanish governors relative murdered by Rogers is approached by Rogers. Spain is currently at war with Britain and he could just gently caress Rogers up or tell him to piss off. Instead Rogers in an incredible turn of bullshit manages to get him to take his fleet and clean up his mess, because reasons. The main "reason" because the Spanish are promised money that they were already promised before by this jackass, and there is nothing to guarantee this jackass could give it to you now. Meanwhile you are literally wasting lives and resources to help your enemy at war. I would love to hear the explanation to the King of Spain justifying this. I don't buy for one loving second the Spanish care about the pirates controlling some shitstain British pirate colony either.

I feel like in a rush to end this show the plotting just feels so loving slapdash. Like the writers know where they want the show to end, but they are sort of half-assign their way through a lot of the plotting to get there. I love this show too, so I am not nitpicking to be a dick, but because it just feels dumb. Black sails usually doesn't feel dumb. Blackbeards arc ends utterly pointlessly and without any real satisfaction. Now some super wealthy Guthrie family is going to bankroll pirates to spite some idiot who married their granddaughter who may have gotten her killed. Outside of Flint and Long Johns plot, which at least is relatively logical, nothing else on this show makes any sense. gently caress tents.

At least they got rid of Eleanor Guthrie who was the worst and least believable character on this show, too bad it was 2 seasons too late.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

nooneofconsequence posted:

I don't know what the hell Flint's plan could possibly be.

It is a little silly, but my guess is to force Long John into abandoning Madi. Like someone else said, it is consistent with Flints general MO. When poo poo gets hard, Flint makes the Flint call; everyone else be damned, because he knows best. If the treasure is gone, it sort of forces Rogers hand one way or another, and I am guessing Flint figures he may die as well but the rebellion has the money to move on. Whatever it is, I doubt it is the most well thought out plan. In general if Flint wanted to just wreak havoc, he could have openly challenged Long John on trading the treasure anyway. I would be willing to bet a lot of the crew would not be loyal enough to Long John to watch their warchest literally be traded away.

Also it is a pretty gigantic loving stretch to think high society people in that era would marry their son off to unnamed woman who even with the most liberal of research into her background is going to turn up as one of Nassau's most infamous prostitutes. Then again, it is no more idiotic than grandma Eleanor willing to bankroll pirates, because those are a trustworthy lot, and Nassau has always been a solid investment opportunity inbetween Pirate loving rebellions. Everything with a Guthrie on this show is a pit of bottomless :barf:

unlawfulsoup fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Mar 23, 2017

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
The more I watch this show, the more I am convinced that Rogers is the real master pirate and the whole thing was just to build his origin story.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Dessel posted:

Well we certainly waited years for the unsheathing of that particular sword. drat.

It was a pretty good fight at least.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Baronjutter posted:

that sword sure did make a lot of sounds. I didn't know metal could be so noisy.

Assuming people are not firing guns, yes banging swords is really noisy.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

MiddleOne posted:

Sounds kinda dangerous.

I wish I were joking, but I have filmed people doing it and have participated myself. I have also been around re-enactors who get very into swinging said swords.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

MiddleOne posted:

After banging them? Sounds kinda gross.

Well you have to have bonded after smashing your steel together, amirite. Frankly blanks are worse because gently caress tinnitus.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Phenotype posted:

I think it was basically a minimum-security prison colony in Savannah that the upper-class in Britain used to send away people that they couldn't have in public, like their gay son who had unacceptable ideas about pardoning the pirates of Nassau. I imagine it's a mix of well-to-do political prisoners and crazy/gay relatives of wealthy families.

It sounds like a pleasant fiction, but yeah.

Also, I would have doubled down on the prison camp ending. Having Long John slowly rejected, dejected, and showing up, with Flint and Thomas running out and they all dance in the rain. Because, why not.

Roman Reigns posted:

Oh I knew that, I was just wondering if that bag of money was for buying Flint into the prison, or buying Thomas out.

Putting Flint into the prison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Boris Galerkin posted:

So that's it? It's over?

I'm gonna be that guy and say I was really disappointed in the finale. I was hoping to see a really cool pirate battle but nope that didn't happen. I was hoping to see a cool war that they've been building up. Nope that didn't happen. That entire plot about how rich assholes literally getting sent off "to a farm upstate" was incredibly dumb and seemed really forced. Why did they bother introducing a nice character in the last 10 minutes of the entire show? That seemed really loving stupid and should have been something they do if there was a next season.

All in all I started watching this show because it was about cool poo poo like pirates fighting and fruits and tits. This last episode and last season really didn't have much of that. I think they really missed out killing off Vane.

Honestly the whole season has been the weakest yet, and I agree there was a hell of a lot of buildup that did not really amount to much.

• Locked thread