Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

my $700 (3 years ago) 4 foot sarnsung doesn't have any ads or bullshit and it works perfectly fine as a computer monitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

infernal machines posted:

i have a samsung 4k "smart tv" for my computer monitor

lol

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i have a samsung 4k "smart tv" for my computer monitor*, it does not have ads.

i don't let it connect to the internet either, but there are no ads anywhere on this thing. what poo poo-rear end bargain basement tvs are you people buying? like the best buy doorcrasher specials or something?

*it's curved, but since i sit 2 feet away from it, that actually works really well.

the first tv on that list is currently $1995 on amazon.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
do people really spend 20 bucks extra to buy the kindle without ads

i mean ads are bad but 20 bucks

(i dont have a kindle)

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

poty posted:

do people really spend 20 bucks extra to buy the kindle without ads

i mean ads are bad but 20 bucks

(i dont have a kindle)

if you call or text nicely that youre a confused old or got it as a gift they remove them

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I wonder how long it will take for kindles to go the way of the dodo and EEE PCs because no-one outside of North America has ever owned one and really the US + Canada is not a very big market.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Endless Mike posted:

the first tv on that list is currently $1995 on amazon.

it's possible that list is poo poo too. they don't differentiate between ads within the smart hub, ostensibly for other apps and feature available in the hub, and loving volume brought to you by pepsi

there's a pretty wide gulf there

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Beast of Bourbon posted:

the new nests play audio ads when you activate them by proximity

This is a joke, right?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

kindles are really good tho

i still have and use my old one from 2010

Apr 7, 2003

Jerry Cotton posted:

I wonder how long it will take for kindles to go the way of the dodo and EEE PCs because no-one outside of North America has ever owned one and really the US + Canada is not a very big market.

My kindle is very good. I keep it in my bag and take it out when I want to read on the train or whatever. I don't need to gently caress around with it, I charge it once a month or so. It's pretty much the platonic ideal of how consumer electronics should be.

Apr 7, 2003

mishaq posted:

kindles are really good tho

i still have and use my old one from 2010

I got a Kindle Touch in 2011 and used it up until a few months ago when my wife got me a Kindle Voyage. My old Kindle Touch worked perfectly fine and I sent it to my mother and now she's enjoying it.

The Kindle line is pretty much the biggest success story imaginable in tech.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Citizen Tayne posted:

This is a joke, right?

yes

i got me mum a kindle paperwhite, so she could get a copy of my sister's book off amazon. as far as i can tell she loves it. she also managed to figure out how to buy other ebooks without me having to show her, so they did something right.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Citizen Tayne posted:

My kindle is very good. I keep it in my bag and take it out when I want to read on the train or whatever. I don't need to gently caress around with it, I charge it once a month or so. It's pretty much the platonic ideal of how consumer electronics should be.

++

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I need to set up my Canon so I can print out Something Awful threads and read them on the bus.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
i kinda like my kindle ads. they're usually relevant books and they only show up on my lock screen and don't get in the way of anything.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

In the year 2525 Kindles and humanity will be dead.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

it's possible that list is poo poo too. they don't differentiate between ads within the smart hub, ostensibly for other apps and feature available in the hub, and loving volume brought to you by pepsi

there's a pretty wide gulf there

none of these are acceptable on a $2000 tv

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

i kinda like my kindle ads. they're usually relevant books and they only show up on my lock screen and don't get in the way of anything.

they're ads

stop making excuses them them

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

none of these are acceptable on a $2000 tv

the latter isn't the former is no different than featured apps in itunes, and they can be wholly avoided by never going in to the smart hub, because why the gently caress are you using the smart hub?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

don't use itunes

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

loving volume brought to you by pepsi

lomarf

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Jerry Cotton posted:

and really the US + Canada is not a very big market.

lmao

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
Just picked up a used Kindle DX for like $100

I'm hyped to mod it and tape it to my wall so I can just have it display random poo poo

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

from where? i wanted one of those for schematics and poo poo, but it was never worth paying $300+ for one

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

from where? i wanted one of those for schematics and poo poo, but it was never worth paying $300+ for one

a kindle paperwhite is a hundred bucks on amazon brand new right now

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the kindle dx is not a kindle paperwhite

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

as in the use case very specifically requires the large formfactor screen, which the paperwhite does not have

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lol, it's available for $80 us, but only from amazon.com, amazon.ca doesn't have the dx at any price.

gg amazon.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed
I gots a kindle paperwhite, it has an ad on the lock screen which I see just long enough to swipe to unlock.

got the wife a newer one, it has ads in the book selection screen as well.

our local library has a pretty stellar ebook selection that works on "whispernet"

works for me, won't fix.

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed
also i may have shown people how to use calibre to break kindle DRM and they are all patronizing the library a lot more now.

and the library re-did things where it more geared toward what folks want, they got a recording studio, computers with audio and video editing software, classes on that poo poo, and it pisses the olds off soooooooo much cause they want them paper books.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

yes

i got me mum a kindle paperwhite, so she could get a copy of my sister's book off amazon. as far as i can tell she loves it. she also managed to figure out how to buy other ebooks without me having to show her, so they did something right.
I was going to get my parents Kindles but they mainly read library books so I got them Kobo Aura Ones since they have OverDrive. Kindles don't support borrowing library books in Canada.

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

Mr. Apollo posted:

I was going to get my parents Kindles but they mainly read library books so I got them Kobo Aura Ones since they have OverDrive. Kindles don't support borrowing library books in Canada.

odd, i think overdrive is what libraries in the states use that support kindles. . . it's p. champ

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

enotnert posted:

odd, i think overdrive is what libraries in the states use that support kindles. . . it's p. champ
Yup, Kindles use OverDrive but they can only download books in the US.

https://help.overdrive.com/customer/portal/articles/1481616-getting-started-with-kindle-ereaders

quote:

Note: Kindle Books are currently available for U.S. libraries only

Apr 7, 2003

lol Canada is so hosed up

Apr 7, 2003

"You can't use the good thing because our country is stupid, so here, have this big piece of poo poo that's nearly unusable but was designed in canada. Eh."

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yeah, but poo poo, at least we're not in america

Apr 7, 2003

yet

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

tori is right the kindle is the ideal electronics experience, esp in that my first (3g keyboard) works fine aside from literally having a 6 year old battery, my paperwhite 3 is equally as easy to use even with more features, and the touch i got cheap refurbed at a half price books (lol) to keep at work is actually 5 years old and the battery still works fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

Agile Vector posted:

tori is right the kindle is the ideal electronics experience, esp in that my first (3g keyboard) works fine aside from literally having a 6 year old battery, my paperwhite 3 is equally as easy to use even with more features, and the touch i got cheap refurbed at a half price books (lol) to keep at work is actually 5 years old and the battery still works fine

Before I sent the Touch to my mom, I checked with my brother who still lives near her to see if he could replace the battery and he said it's about fifteen minutes and $18. Flawless.

• Locked thread