Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed
http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/2/3/14501812/olimex-teres-i-open-source-diy-laptop

also one verge editor not a complete idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

enotnert posted:

Also I bought a 43" 1080p TCL for my garage for like $250.

Works for me, good set, disabled network as soon as I got it, don't give a gently caress about roku, just won't you do start up on the HDMI input instead of making me choose each time you shitbox tv.

rokus are good now

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

mishaq posted:

rokus are good now

i would say "tolerable" instead of "good" but either way im okay with the roku i bought from target

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i set up a $35 roku stick for my mom and it suits her needs

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

mishaq posted:

i set up a $35 roku stick for my mom and it suits her needs

my $35 stick suits your moms needs too

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

fart simpson posted:

my $35 stick suits your moms needs too

appreciate you being a bargain mate, my mom's single and ready to mingle :wink:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

:tipshat:

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

My TV is a projector, it turns itself on when there's a power outage and wants a confirmation to be turned off, but it's fine otherwise (and I fixed those problems with an Arduino + IR sensor + power relay)

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i have never understood why projectors are so consistently special snowflakes in that they need confirmation to turn off. sure, they are not instantaneous to turn back on, but neither is a modern tv

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
the only reason i can think of why a projector would turn itself on like that is a lot of them are mounted to a ceiling and plugged into a ceiling outlet so people probably just want to flick a light switch to turn it on

i was really surprised at how well my friend's 8 year old $500 infocus 1080p projector handled low-res stuff. the wii (480p) looked amazingly hi-res on it and didn't even look like it was being upscaled. i am not sure of the technical reason behind it.

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed
Rokus aren't bad, I just don't need one on this tv. The tv in the den in the house has a firestick on it that suits my needs.

I've got a projector out in my carport for parties and junk, and for being a $300 woot special (i think it's a benq?) and it's not full 1080p but it does fine enough for its intended usage (getting drunk with buddies and watching movies and grilling).

It also has 3d, came with a pair of RF glasses, which we used maybe once just to test it out with pacific rim. Now like most "3d tv stuff" those glasses sit on a shelf collecting dust.

Usagi-Sauce
Dec 2, 2005

YAMOxNINJA
~otp~

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

i was really surprised at how well my friend's 8 year old $500 infocus 1080p projector handled low-res stuff. the wii (480p) looked amazingly hi-res on it and didn't even look like it was being upscaled. i am not sure of the technical reason behind it.

i had an early-2000s 4:3 infocus and apparently even back then they were known for using disproportionately high-end scaler chips (faroudja dcdi, wow), which is not a feature you can put on the box to attract walmart shoppers so natch no manufacturer gives a poo poo

technical answer: i guess infocus had at least one high-up engineer who gave a poo poo, scaling is a p well solved problem by now so that's all it takes

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Usagi-Sauce posted:

i had an early-2000s 4:3 infocus and apparently even back then they were known for using disproportionately high-end scaler chips (faroudja dcdi, wow), which is not a feature you can put on the box to attract walmart shoppers so natch no manufacturer gives a poo poo

technical answer: i guess infocus had at least one high-up engineer who gave a poo poo, scaling is a p well solved problem by now so that's all it takes

jesus, i would have never guessed they used good scalers was all. i figured it looked so good it has to be that projection tech isn't affected by low resolution the way TVs are or something

it's pretty sad that even the proest of tier TVs (pioneer kuro, panasonic v series, oled) never used great scalers either.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
My teenage nephew went through a period of being obsessed with Youtube tech bloggers and when I'd go round to see my brother he'd always be watching videos of people blogging from setups like this, with conspicuous mics and acoustic foam stuck randomly about. Being a dude into tech he bought a bunch of cheap monitors and lights and whatnot off ebay and built something similar and it was the epitome of 'looks fancy on youtube but is fuckin miserable to actually sit at/use'.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the internet has killed wisdom since not only are all possible takes available at any time but many of the worst opinions are expressed in slick, entertaining fashion

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

qirex posted:

the internet has killed wisdom since not only are all possible takes available at any time but many of the worst opinions are expressed in slick, entertaining fashion

Don't sign your posts!

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
i have a curved wife

Oae Ui
Oct 7, 2003

Let's be friends.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i have never understood why projectors are so consistently special snowflakes in that they need confirmation to turn off. sure, they are not instantaneous to turn back on, but neither is a modern tv

I've heard it has to do with the bulbs. That turning the projector back on once the bulb has started to cool can dramatically shorten bulb life.

Oae Ui
Oct 7, 2003

Let's be friends.
I haven't owned a projector in like 8 years tho so maybe they're all LED bulbs now and it's just stupid vestigial behavior.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I prefer a tv that can be seen during the daytime.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Oae Ui posted:

I've heard it has to do with the bulbs. That turning the projector back on once the bulb has started to cool can dramatically shorten bulb life.

oh, yeah, that makes a lot of sense actually, i don't think projector bulbs have actually changed much either. i withdraw my ignorant questioning of projector engineers

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

my parents got a new projector recently and it shows fine even during summer daytime. mine is an old piece of crap that requires the room entirely dark

idk what brand they have cause lol at caring about anything

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

I bought a 55" lg oled tv a month ago and its pretty amazing but was was more expensive than anything else by a mile. massive upgrade over the lovely 60" dlp tv i had before it that i had gotten 10 years ago. also lol that they sell some curved versions of them

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

They need to make sure you're not bumping the power button by accident because once its off, the bulb literally cannot power on until it cools down again.

you can get LED-powered models for a surprisingly small premium, they're just gonna be somewhat dimmer (LG makes one for $800 these days). Some high-end models are lazer-based and are super-rad because you don't need to focus them, just aim them at even a curved surface and it'll be perfectly in focus.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Do any of the good brands (Sony and no wait just Sony) make non-internet TVs anymore?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

carry on then posted:

ars has had it kinda rough though, losing good in depth writers like stokes and siracusa while only managing to pick up a couple verge-style clickbait writers and ron "six monitors to review phones" amadeo

lmao

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

OLED sucks.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

no u

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

correct

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

how is this thread still going. did nilay show up to defend his bracelet

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Minnesota Mixup posted:

I bought a 55" lg oled tv a month ago and its pretty amazing but was was more expensive than anything else by a mile. massive upgrade over the lovely 60" dlp tv i had before it that i had gotten 10 years ago. also lol that they sell some curved versions of them

i bought a curved one because it was like 25% cheaper than flat. its not that curved

(is what i keep telling myself while weeping and shouting im not owned. im not owned)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jerry Cotton posted:

Do any of the good brands (Sony and no wait just Sony) make non-internet TVs anymore?
not really.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Shame. It's all redundant for most people.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Jerry Cotton posted:

I've got bad news for you, Sony isn't a good brand anymore. they use google tv and it's awful and also their scaling and smoothing software is lousy.

also, no. there's basically two types of TVs. "dumb" tvs, which is a race to the bottom in costs, so everyone tries to make them as cheap as possible. "smart" tvs that actually have margins so they can put some engineering and good hardware into it. if you want a non-terrible tv you have to buy the smart one, even if you don't want any of those features.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

just dont buy a tv imo

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

just don't give ur tv ur wifi password

problem solved

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
never connect your tv to the internet. and never ever do a firmware update to it.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

i have a sony

android tv entered a crash loop that could only be fixed by a factory reset

honestly i blame google, the tv is good outside the android parts

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i mean, yeah, android is bad, though i haven't had much trouble with mine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

carry on then posted:

i have a sony

android tv entered a crash loop that could only be fixed by a factory reset

honestly i blame google, the tv is good outside the android parts

Someone had their LG smart tv taken over with ransomware and LG wanted $340 for a repairman to enter a factory reset code.

• Locked thread