Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I'm not sure what amazes me more about this article. that idiot tech "journalist" and vergin editor nilay patel bought a $500 tv, that he did not know why you don't buy curved tvs, or that he didn't return it when he discovered his wife hated it.

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/1/30/14439362/samsung-curved-tv-review-un40k6250af-mistake

quote:

A few months ago I did something extremely out of character: I went out and bought a TV without obsessively reading product reviews. I just drove to Walmart and purchased the nicest-looking TV in stock for $500. It was a curved Samsung. This was an enormous mistake, and I should have just bought a Vizio E-Series. My wife Becky loudly reminds me of this mistake nearly every time we turn the TV on; she hates this product more than any other half-baked gadget I have forced into our lives. So I asked her to explain why, and she gave me this, which begins with what I can only describe as a vicious character assassination. — Nilay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Hammerite posted:

whats wrong with a curved telly

it's like a parabolic dish for concentrating reflections at your face. every light in the room is reflected at you and it magnifies motion so slight movements of your head create disproportionate motions of the reflections on the tv.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Sweevo posted:

so a guy bought a tv at wallmart and was amazed when it turned out to be poo poo?

also the guy is the chief editor of the internet's largest tech blog, who you would expect to not be a total idiot when buying tvs

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
:tipshat:

post your finest tech journalisms here

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

who the gently caress has more than one room you bougie scum

me.
I have a room for television, a room for computers, and a room for sleeping.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
tech journalism is floundering now that "tech" is so mainstream that the audience is everyone.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

The Management posted:

tech journalism is floundering now that "tech" is so mainstream that the audience is everyone.

"let me tell you why this product won't succeed because it doesn't have upgradable ram, doesn't play ogg, doesn't run flash, doesn't let me root it, doesn't have a headphone jack"
-- tech press 1999 to forever

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I prefer a tv that can be seen during the daytime.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Jerry Cotton posted:

Do any of the good brands (Sony and no wait just Sony) make non-internet TVs anymore?

I've got bad news for you, Sony isn't a good brand anymore. they use google tv and it's awful and also their scaling and smoothing software is lousy.

also, no. there's basically two types of TVs. "dumb" tvs, which is a race to the bottom in costs, so everyone tries to make them as cheap as possible. "smart" tvs that actually have margins so they can put some engineering and good hardware into it. if you want a non-terrible tv you have to buy the smart one, even if you don't want any of those features.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
never connect your tv to the internet. and never ever do a firmware update to it.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
advertising is a blight. a product you pay for showing you advertising is unacceptable. if your tv shows ads in the volume indicator, return it.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
we get it, you're poor and can't pay for things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Beast of Bourbon posted:

the new nests play audio ads when you activate them by proximity

[citation needed]