Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Jimmy Carter posted:

Jesus you could buy a projector and make whatever size TV you want. Spend a few extra grand and you can get one powered by lasers.

Or go insane and spend literally less than half as much on something you can light up the side of a building with

EDIT welp looks like this is the year that 4K projectors come down in price

i went one level further and spent $20 on a xenon arc slide projector so i can project up to 80 frames at 0.75 fps in broad daylight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i have never understood why projectors are so consistently special snowflakes in that they need confirmation to turn off. sure, they are not instantaneous to turn back on, but neither is a modern tv

because if you let your projector gently caress up the warmup/cooldown cycles the bulb explodes and you have an angry customer on the phone

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

the only reason i can think of why a projector would turn itself on like that is a lot of them are mounted to a ceiling and plugged into a ceiling outlet so people probably just want to flick a light switch to turn it on

i was really surprised at how well my friend's 8 year old $500 infocus 1080p projector handled low-res stuff. the wii (480p) looked amazingly hi-res on it and didn't even look like it was being upscaled. i am not sure of the technical reason behind it.

infocus is good. my school's equipment checkout dept has these eensy weensy little infocus LED projectors that cost a zillion dollars and look like ye olde picoprojector but are as bright as the high-end projectors of olde and they're sharp and they barely get warm

the xenon thing still outmatches cree's brightest single LED. but it probably won't for long.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

i went to a san francisco arts commission show and they were testing some fancy ultra-short-throw laser projectors for Christie by projecting an image like 20x10ft 6 feet away from a wall with no distortion

projectors are pretty neat

i want to build a flash projector using a long telephoto lens and an old camera with a hole cut in it but i haven't quite got around to it yet

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

reading this thread and it seems that while projectors are cool, tvs fuckin suck

humpbacked tech worker DLL lackey: "euuuuueeehh i spent four thousand dollars on my new television and it shows me ads and spies on me and gets malware! i dont understand!!!"
enlightened blue-collar proletariat: "I bought a used TV that fits nicely within my budget. It looks great and does exactly what I want it to. You might want to take a critical look at your choices."
php programming RoR gently caress wad: "no! idiot! that's not what i want!! i want a new tv!"
salt of the earth wise fellow and overall good guy: "I guess we'll both have to live with what we've got." turns to the camera and winks

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I just go to #bookz on undernet and download txt files to read on my iPod nano 1G with rockbox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Smythe posted:

one last cool thing i reasd about once is in the ian m banks book they describe the culture destroying an orbital with gridfire (the grid is whats below realspace or something and its where you go when you travel ftl) and it was cool. reading about the cool space weapons. one time angry keebler made a post about space battles and it was also super cool and one day i hope to read a book by angry keebler. i wish i could find that post. it was so cool. it reminded me of ian m banks style of writing about space battle. thank you angry keebler

it's why excession is the best of the culture books

• Locked thread