Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
so you work for the Verge op?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
curved TVs are a gimmick so bad that i actually get annoyed just thinking about it. to willingly purchase a TV with it- well, he deserves all the anguish he gets

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
also what the gently caress is Samsung's excuse for not using a matte screen? i don't care if it's a $500 TV, that's shameful

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

And its loving LCD lmao

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
the only reason i can think of why a projector would turn itself on like that is a lot of them are mounted to a ceiling and plugged into a ceiling outlet so people probably just want to flick a light switch to turn it on

i was really surprised at how well my friend's 8 year old $500 infocus 1080p projector handled low-res stuff. the wii (480p) looked amazingly hi-res on it and didn't even look like it was being upscaled. i am not sure of the technical reason behind it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Usagi-Sauce posted:

i had an early-2000s 4:3 infocus and apparently even back then they were known for using disproportionately high-end scaler chips (faroudja dcdi, wow), which is not a feature you can put on the box to attract walmart shoppers so natch no manufacturer gives a poo poo

technical answer: i guess infocus had at least one high-up engineer who gave a poo poo, scaling is a p well solved problem by now so that's all it takes

jesus, i would have never guessed they used good scalers was all. i figured it looked so good it has to be that projection tech isn't affected by low resolution the way TVs are or something

it's pretty sad that even the proest of tier TVs (pioneer kuro, panasonic v series, oled) never used great scalers either.

• Locked thread