Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Linguica posted:

i recently got a new 4k tv after looking at rtings.com and choosing the model that had the features i cared about so I guess I am smarter than the guy whose job it is to pay attention to tech poo poo. look at me. look at me. i am the nilay now
Post your spiked bracelet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

curved tvs exist for the same reason samsung edge phones exist: to make up a problem that didn't exist that they "solved" with a new tech.

taht said, the lucky goldstar curved screens are pretty mild, but the samsung ones are curved a lot and look bad and dumb

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

my bedroom tv is a vizio i got in like 2008. it works great.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

have they gotten the lifespan of those up to something reasonable without the colors shifting/dimming all over the place

yeah, the issue was that different colored oleds would degrade at different rates, so you'd have color shifting. lg's current design is all white oled subpixels with a colored filter over them. (lg is the only company making oled tv panels)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jerry Cotton posted:

Do any of the good brands (Sony and no wait just Sony) make non-internet TVs anymore?
not really.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i mean, yeah, android is bad, though i haven't had much trouble with mine

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Elder Postsman posted:

wait, wait

what????

http://adage.com/article/digital/samsung-smart-tv-update-forces-ads/307246/

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

also
https://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-smart-tvs-forcing-ads-into-video-streaming-apps/

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

MILLENNIALS ARE KILLING THE ADVERTISING MARKET

Finally millenials are good for something.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

infernal machines posted:

i have a samsung 4k "smart tv" for my computer monitor*, it does not have ads.

i don't let it connect to the internet either, but there are no ads anywhere on this thing. what poo poo-rear end bargain basement tvs are you people buying? like the best buy doorcrasher specials or something?

*it's curved, but since i sit 2 feet away from it, that actually works really well.

the first tv on that list is currently $1995 on amazon.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

infernal machines posted:

it's possible that list is poo poo too. they don't differentiate between ads within the smart hub, ostensibly for other apps and feature available in the hub, and loving volume brought to you by pepsi

there's a pretty wide gulf there

none of these are acceptable on a $2000 tv

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i'd rather hear about "devouring" books than "consuming" "media" (watching animes)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

kindle seems like a pretty great product but I have serious concerns about spending real money for ebooks I won't be able to read after amazon goes tits up and my kindle hardware reaches its sub-decade maximum lifespan

i buy a lot of hardback books now

removing amazon drm is trivial

• Locked thread