Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed
I got a friend who writes for ars, mostly on zfs, or various network equipment they send him (recently did an article on various routers, and he hit me up going oh poo poo were you the one telling folks about mikrotik like 5 years back? I got some of their kit it looks like it'll break but it's cheaper, faster, and better than my homebrew bought it off alibaba shitbox).

Also I bought a 43" 1080p TCL for my garage for like $250.

Works for me, good set, disabled network as soon as I got it, don't give a gently caress about roku, just won't you do start up on the HDMI input instead of making me choose each time you shitbox tv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed
http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/2/3/14501812/olimex-teres-i-open-source-diy-laptop

also one verge editor not a complete idiot.

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed
Rokus aren't bad, I just don't need one on this tv. The tv in the den in the house has a firestick on it that suits my needs.

I've got a projector out in my carport for parties and junk, and for being a $300 woot special (i think it's a benq?) and it's not full 1080p but it does fine enough for its intended usage (getting drunk with buddies and watching movies and grilling).

It also has 3d, came with a pair of RF glasses, which we used maybe once just to test it out with pacific rim. Now like most "3d tv stuff" those glasses sit on a shelf collecting dust.

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed
man i love the future

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed
i actually had to close a ticket at work because someone went out and bought a big ole samsung 4k "smart tv" for his computer monitor, and is pissed that it has adverts.

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

infernal machines posted:

i have a samsung 4k "smart tv" for my computer monitor, it does not have ads.

i don't let it connect to the internet either, but there are no ads anywhere on this thing. what poo poo-rear end bargain basement tvs are you people buying? like the best buy doorcrasher specials or something?

actually yes, that is exactly what it is. . . I did not purchase this, and I also told the person wanting it that as it was not my job to go get best buy door busters i would not be doing that (and recommended them some other displays of similar quality).

As that person has a business credit card of their own, and I cannot prevent them from connecting it to the network. . . i said "welp, the display turns on, sound actually runs sound through hdmi properly, that's the end of my support on this display"

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed
I gots a kindle paperwhite, it has an ad on the lock screen which I see just long enough to swipe to unlock.

got the wife a newer one, it has ads in the book selection screen as well.

our local library has a pretty stellar ebook selection that works on "whispernet"

works for me, won't fix.

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed
also i may have shown people how to use calibre to break kindle DRM and they are all patronizing the library a lot more now.

and the library re-did things where it more geared toward what folks want, they got a recording studio, computers with audio and video editing software, classes on that poo poo, and it pisses the olds off soooooooo much cause they want them paper books.

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

Mr. Apollo posted:

I was going to get my parents Kindles but they mainly read library books so I got them Kobo Aura Ones since they have OverDrive. Kindles don't support borrowing library books in Canada.

odd, i think overdrive is what libraries in the states use that support kindles. . . it's p. champ

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

Citizen Tayne posted:

This is why I pirate every fuckin book I can

no joke, my wife sends me an email when she gets new books on overdrive.

I log into amazon, "download to transfer over USB" import them into calibre, then I hook her kindle up and put the books on and she "returns them to the library"

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed
the thing about kindles is this. . . no matter if you get a "special offers" one or not.

you don't see a lot of folks out there going stupid to jailbreak the loving kindle to get rid of ads.

is a good product, it works, has a long battery life, you can get them dirt cheap left and right. . .

just be a smart nerd, and if you buy an ebook, strip the drm, keep it locally, cause it ain't like you gonna have to have some huge cloud backed storage for all the azw3s you ain't actually reading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed
I've encountered the new format from amazon on one book.

I don't remember what I did to strip it, but it was rather easy.

• Locked thread