Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
I guess that's a rough itinerary and you're looking for things nearby? There's Joshua Tree NP, Death Valley, Tahoe, Monument Valleu, Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, Yellowstone, etc that are all a couple/few hours out of your route that are great and worth driving around in, but I guess they're pretty obvious. I hope you meant you just won't -stay- in the national parks, because if you go to the area and don't go in the park to not pay the entrance fee then it's a bigger waste of money to drive there in the first place.

I don't think you'll come across anything in the US you haven't already experienced. Just watch out for speeding or cops'll eventually get you on a trip this long, and if you have foreign plates that might make them harder on you (to make sure you actually pay the fine).

Drive down highway 1 from SF to LA. There's a cool beach with a ton of elephant seals just near Hearst Castle which is worth stopping at for half an hour. There are a bunch of hidden beaches in the cliffs around that area too, north of Hearst Castle up until Pebble Beach, but some places are private property so please respect signs. I've been to some secluded spot there but can't remember specifically where it was. The freeway through the Central Valley sucks unless you really love seeing endless, flat farmland with mountains in the far hazy difference.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jan 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Hitchhiking is illegal in several states (not sure which) though afaik only for the hitchhiker and not for picking them up. You're reasonably likely to not even see a single one on your entire trip, especially so since you're not going to campgrounds. I can't imagine how terrible of an experience it must be to hitchhike the American southwest in late spring/early summer, but even the few people who think it's romantic*~*~Kerouac aren't going to be sticking their thumb up on the side of the highway.

• Locked thread