Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I don't wander in here often, so I'm bumping your thread. If you're interested in Utah I'm a lifelong resident so I'm your Huckleberry.

First a few things: Despite what you may have heard it is not impossible to get a drink/get drunk here. They're a bit weird about public intox and you can't walk down the street with a beer in hand, but at your own campsite you'd be fine. Our politics are terrible but people are generally friendly.

If you want to do a particular kind of recreation, we probably have it all with the exception of surfing depending on what time of year you show up. You can ski at resorts (sometimes as late as July!) if snowpack is sufficient. This year was good and we're still getting snowfall in higher elevations, but they may be shut down by the time you get here. Don't be surprised though if you still find heavy snowpack in higher elevations.

We have some drat pretty scenery. National Parks like Zion, Arches and Bryce Canyon are all good places to go if you're ok with the fees. You can be in a National Forest within 15 minutes of leaving downtown Salt Lake, and wouldn't know there's a bustling city. You can fish, hike, mountain climb and camp in the canyons close to the city, though expect that they will be busy on weekends. Weekdays are better. If you want to avoid idiots and fat suburbanites I suggest getting off the beaten path though.

Instead of taking 1-15 all the way down, get your rear end to Highway 6 south from Spanish Fork Canyon. It has a bad reputation as a dangerous road, but that's because of morons. They've done a lot of improvements and lane widening so there are more passing lanes. Head towards Price, then south again towards Huntington. Out here you'll find the Cleveland-Lloyd dinosaur quarry. There's also a museum in Price if you want to see bigass dino bones. Up Huntington canyon (west of the town) is fantastic camping and fishing. A fire went through a couple years ago so it's not fully recovered, but you can camp at designated sites off the road for free. Some of them have toilets and an area called The Forks has toilets and running water. A section of the river is fly/artificial lure only so pay attention to the signs. There are also 2 reservoirs towards the top if you want to get some lake fishing on. If you keep heading south from Huntington you can get to the San Rafael Swell, which is a very desert-y area that contains petroglyphs. Butch Cassidy did some running around in this area and supposedly there's some hidden loot he never came back for. You can camp here too, but be sure to bring extra water. Both of these places get really loving cold at night, even if it's hot during the day so plan accordingly.

Down here you'll also find Goblin Valley. It's a very hosed-up landscape. No matter what time of day or year you go it's like an alien planet. Once we went and there was some German technopunk band filming a video wearing these silver spacesuits and facepaint scaring the poo poo out of Japanese tourists. GIS it. You can also get to Moab which has famous slickrock mountain biking. You can hook back up with I-15 from I-70 and get down to where Zion and the other NP's are, plus Lake Powell for more fishing. Then exit your way to Vegas. Or do it in reverse if you're coming from Nevada.

e: for fishing you'll need a non-resident license, which are available in 1, 3, and 7 day flavors. Fishing proclamation is here: https://wildlife.utah.gov/utah-fishing-guidebook.html which gives you the bag limits and regs. Some bodies of water have special limitations or free-for-alls if they're doing work, so check the website prior to doing any fishing. You can buy them directly from the state's website or generally any sporting goods store or place like Walmart will sell them too.

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Apr 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread