Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Copy pasting from 2016's thread
with only 1 day left:

quote:

http://rpmchallenge.com/

It is, once again, that time of year. Clear out the musical cobwebs in your brain, drink your caffeine, and use this month of February to compose/write/produce an entire album!

From their site:
The RPM Challenge: This is The Challenge - Record an album in 28 days, just because you can.

That’s 10 songs or 35 minutes of original material recorded during the month of February. Go ahead… put it to tape.

It’s a little like National Novel Writing Month, (NaNoWriMo.org) where writers challenge each other to write 1,700 words a day for 30 days, or the great folks over at February Album Writing Month (fawm.org), who encourage artists to write 14 new songs in February. Maybe they don’t have “Grapes of Wrath” or “Abbey Road” at the end of the month, or maybe they do—but that’s not the point.
The point is they get busy and stop waiting around for the muse to appear.

Get the gears moving. Don't wait for inspiration - taking action puts you in a position to get inspired. You'll stumble across ideas you would have never come up with otherwise, and maybe only because you were trying to meet a day’s quota of (song)writing. Show up and get something done, and invest in yourself and each other.

DO IT! DOOO EEET! In this day of EDM and freestyle hip hop over the sounds of traffic and babbling brooks, SURELY you can pinch out 10 songs or 35 minutes of drone/stench/mudpull. I made those last two up.

This year, I've got a plan:

quote:

Week 1: Write lyrics and rough musical sketches, kind of like a wishlist of what I'd want to hear when I go up to accept the Grammy for greatest album in the universe.

Week 2: Drums and bass, rough guitars, keys and vocals. Nail down the beat and loving stack up ten songs or 35 minutes.

Week 3: Contact my old dealer and get a pound of blow because this album ain't gonna loving record itself Christ why did I commit to this I'm a loving failure guess I'll watch Spinal Tap or The Last Waltz, oh hey MTV's doing a marathon of Behind The Music just kidding MTV doesn't do music anymore. poo poo I guess I'll just mix the scratch vox and guitars and release this as a "lost demos" album like Oasis did. Or was that Pulp? NIN? Barbra Streisand? I hate music.

Week 4: Ahh gently caress I don't have any time left. Nobody can record an album in just 7 days during their off time I have kids and a job gently caress this I knew I was a creative black hole gently caress you.

I'm signed up as Magnificent7.

magnificent7 fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jan 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Thinking about it. I did one last year:

http://dumbledog.bandcamp.com/album/planet-ix

But after sending it to RPM there was total radio silence. No mention of it in their podcast, dunno if they used it anywhere or even acknowledgement that they got it. Kindof a wet fart really.

I do have a 3/4-finished album to work on tho, and maybe I'll make that my goal for the month instead.

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax
I'm in.

Obviously none of the songs can be covers right? I need to actually write 10 brand new songs in this month that I've never worked on before.

This is going to be fun. I think I might go do my first song right now.

edit:first song done http://rpmchallenge.com/userplayer/63409/Missed%20the%20Mark.mp3

AARO fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Feb 1, 2017

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm never sure if covers are okay, or re-recording songs you've already written. I think the goal is to end up with a fresh new recorded album.

How's everybody going? I've laid out rough ideas for 15 songs (lyrics wise because that's my weak spot). This weekend I'll flesh them out, and the duds will float to the top.

And if there's time, record initial rough demos using just my phone so I don't get sucked into looking for the perfect tone. That always wastes 2 to 3 hours and then I'm ready to give up.

So can you fart out 10 super rough demos this weekend? It can't be that hard, right?

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax
I got another song done last night.

Tonight I'm doing a cover song. I've never recorded it before so I doubt it's against the rules.

So I've got 2 songs complete on Feb 3rd. I feel like I'll actually be able to do this. I doubt the album will be very good but it'll be something.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
I tried to do this two years ago but couldn't find the motivation in rushing to produce a crap album. I'm rethinking doing it again this year but I know if I think I've struck gold on a song I won't want to rush it, I'll want to produce it properly and that takes time. How are you guys reconciling your desire to make music with your desire for it not to be rushed and awful?

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
This year I'm just taking a different approach: 1 week to write, 1 week to do drums/bass + scratch vox and gtrs, a week to do real vox + gtrs, (assuming I'm not happy with the rough versions) and then a week to mix it.

That seems more doable from that perspective; less rush, less pressure to finalize a thing at the same time I've started it.

I think. Who the hell knows.

I've got 6 songs written, lyrics-wise, with the knowledge that I'll hate them and change them this weekend while recording rough demos.

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax
I think I'm giving up. I was just rushing through this too fast and making total poo poo. Maybe I'll get a second wind but I'm thinking I'm gonna take a big fat fail on this.

On a brighter note, I released my first album today.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

AARO posted:

I think I'm giving up. I was just rushing through this too fast and making total poo poo. Maybe I'll get a second wind but I'm thinking I'm gonna take a big fat fail on this.

On a brighter note, I released my first album today.
gently caress that. Some of the greatest albums ever released were considered turds by the artists. Let all your fan decide if it's good enough.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

magnificent7 posted:

Let all your fan

Check this poo poo out, mom.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

The Shep posted:

Check this poo poo out, mom.
Like that poo poo. Mom, no. Click the little heart icon. Well click it again.

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Hey, is it too late to throw my hat in the ring? This sounds fun. I'd like to raise the bar a bit and include making album art. Lets do this, people¡¡¡( mainly speaking to myself there)!!!

Impatient Skype JO
Nov 26, 2011

leave a sign ... something witchy

you posted:

your text here

Dark Souls posted:

imminent beating to a pulp
I just uploaded an album there. I ended up with 22 tracks (two had to be left out) or 46:03 of solid garbage.

Here's the album cover

And here's a link to my favorite mistake :)

e: Actually, I kinda like this one too

Impatient Skype JO fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Feb 22, 2017

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Impatient Skype JO posted:

I just uploaded an album there. I ended up with 22 tracks (two had to be left out) or 46:03 of solid garbage.

Here's the album cover

And here's a link to my favorite mistake :)

e: Actually, I kinda like this one too

That's horrible. Godawful. You should be ashamed for finishing early or at all.

Stay posted for my album, ten songs of me saying "gently caress this I hate art" over an A minor chord. Ten songs of that.

Impatient Skype JO
Nov 26, 2011

leave a sign ... something witchy

you posted:

your text here

Dark Souls posted:

imminent beating to a pulp

magnificent7 posted:

That's horrible. Godawful. You should be ashamed for finishing early or at all.

I'll show you

I'll show you all :arghfist::)

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
SO - I'm kinda pissed. Not because I won't be finishing my album this year - OH I'LL DO IT YOU SHUT UP.

I've been recording the rough ideas on my iPad's garageband, and now on a new iPhone's garageband. I checked, and it's possible to import the songs into Logic Pro, which is awesome. Until I actually tried it today and gently caress yeah my version of Logic Pro isn't up to date with the garageband; hell, even my version of Garageband on my mac isn't up to date - I've got to buy a new version of both, (GB is only $5 so who cares) but DAMMIT.

Still gonna figure it out somehow. This year I'm pushing myself to use real keyboard chord progressions instead of bitchin guitar riffs over E and A and repeat.

Oh and also - Impatient Skype JO - the stuff you did is rifftasticular. I hate you.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Oh MAN I got a lot done this weekend. Mostly watching movies.

I've got twelve amazing classics. I just need to do something with them tonight/tomorrow and post them. Anybody else?

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah well. Another deadline-based creative outlet shot in the rear end.

I do not do well with deadlines. I know that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

magnificent7 posted:

Yeah well. Another deadline-based creative outlet shot in the rear end.

I do not do well with deadlines. I know that much.
I stopped doing the Rockstar competitions so I could get back into writing/recording original songs, but then I got back into World of Warcraft and basically did NOTHING musically for months.

This year I have a new approach. One original song written/recorded PER MONTH. If, at the end of the month, I haven't uploaded at least one new original song to my SoundCloud, I'm donating a certain amount of $$$ to a charity. We'll see how it goes.

• Locked thread