Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
troll craigslist. ramps are fairly cheap.... you should have a jack/stands anyway if you're hanging out in this forum.

alternatively if you have a small car you can cut the side off one of those 1gal/5qt oil jugs and use it as a drain pan. bonus for having a handy dandy pour spout built in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
What? Those service ramp/jack things are made out of plastic. Are you going to tell me that wood and cardboard can't hold 3,000lbs of metal over you safely? I think there's a few gifs in the OSHA thread that would say otherwise

Seriously though, the mechanical failures thread got its current name from an rear end in a top hat crawling under an improvised jack and smooshed into paste. Even real jacks have been nicknamed "Widowmakers", be safe

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
I made my low profile ramps out of 2x10s, come on guys.

http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/News/mwramps/

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

i bought a set of wrenches and a thing to hold my oil but i dont wanna drop 80 bucks on a decent jack + jack stand so im going to keep paying for oil changes and return it so i can have 40 bux for gas

I'm lazy and just park my car with 2 side wheels up the kerb or the front wheels up the speed bump at the end of my drive in order to change the oil and filter as that give enough space to get under there and catch it.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Carry over from last thread. Re: Child Punishment. For taking $100 from my cash stash he now has $50 of non-paid chores and $50 of toys he has to donate to GoodWill. He was not happy, but I did my best to explain why what he did was wrong and that I was not mad, more so disappointed. Just like the guilt trips I remember getting when I screwed up at his age. Ahh memories. Haha.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Got a new place and found a box of parachute rockets in the shed.
I don't need them so a fire is the best place to dispose of them right?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

No, shooting off parachute rockets while drunk is the best place to dispose of them.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I already use jackstands when I use my ramps for safety (and chocks...), but I would be better off just using the jack and stands because it's less stuff to lug out of the basement. And I'm just now realizing this...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

I made my low profile ramps out of 2x10s, come on guys.

http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/News/mwramps/

I've got something like that, just two boards high, to get the jack under my RX-7s and stock-height Kia. I keep resisting the urge to get a Horror Fright low-profile racing jack.
BTW. where does one take one of those jacks to race?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
gently caress Amazon. This is twice now that orders with guaranteed delivery dates and times haven't arrived. UPS and USPS both love marking packages delivered when they haven't been. I pay extra for prime, too. So not worth it if they keep this up.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Darchangel posted:

I've got something like that, just two boards high, to get the jack under my RX-7s and stock-height Kia. I keep resisting the urge to get a Horror Fright low-profile racing jack.

I've been using Hazard Fraught 'racing' jacks for years and they've held up better than the Craftsman jacks I used to use. Have 2x of the aluminum 1.5ton that I've had for 5+ years and recently bought their low profile 2? ton jack to get under all my low poo poo. They're by far the most popular jacks at Chump/Lemons/WRL races as well. Need to make a set of 2x6 ramps like that soon, nothing can reach the front subframe under the E21 and the race car is going to be even lower.

Related:

QuarkMartial posted:

gently caress Amazon. This is twice now that orders with guaranteed delivery dates and times haven't arrived. UPS and USPS both love marking packages delivered when they haven't been. I pay extra for prime, too. So not worth it if they keep this up.
I've only had this happen a couple times but when it does I complain and get an extra month of prime or something. Still sucks when important things don't arrive when they should but it makes it a little better.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 1, 2017

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

QuarkMartial posted:

If you complain they will give you free prime.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Darchangel posted:

It's a "racing" jack because it's mostly made of aluminum and therefore light enough to be lifted into and out of a car, so you can drive your racecar to the track on street tires and change wheels once there. As opposed to a mostly steel floor jack that weighs considerably more.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

QuarkMartial posted:

Yeah, they have been awfully cavalier with their delivery dates. Two day shipping these days is 'order it today, it will ship tomorrow, THEN be there in two days'. Even if you order in the morning.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Last time I did complain and got a free month. I'm just tired of bullshit. Nothing should be out for delivery for 12 hours then marked as available for pickup exactly 1 hour after the post office has closed.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I've seen a lot of "carriers don't count the day it ships so neither do we" bullshit from them lately too.

I have an Amazon pick up center less than 10 miles away from me and the whole draw is supposed to be free next day delivery on most Prime eligible items, but it's become a crap shoot if it's faster to have items shipped there or if "next day" becomes two day and I would have been better off just having it delivered to my door.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Geoj posted:

It's a "racing" jack because it's mostly made of aluminum and therefore light enough to be lifted into and out of a car, so you can drive your racecar to the track on street tires and change wheels once there. As opposed to a mostly steel floor jack that weighs considerably more.

:thejoke:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

QuarkMartial posted:

I haven't the foggiest of ideas why they let USPS anywhere near packages for Prime. Those fuckers couldn't deliver a speech.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

^^ the worst is when something gets shipped via FedEx, then they hand it off to USPS for delivery and it mysteriously disappears for a week.

You guys just need to move to a city that amazon cares about. I ordered a bluetooth adapter, some extra wiring and interior trim removal tools(why did I not buy these sooner) on Saturday around 8pm and had them on my front door by ~3pm Sunday. I had worse luck with Amazon when I lived up in shoreline, but now that I am back in Seattle it is rarely a problem.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Hey AI, you like books, right? I just finished reading Go Like Hell and would like some similarly AI suggestions. My only real complaint with that book was that it could have been more technical.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I had banked three free months of Prime and they still charged me my renewal on the original date.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

New thread, new plug for the challenge I have put together for Automation: The Car Company Tycoon Game!

If you've got any interest in mucking around with cars and engines, come have a look - the challenge is a representation of a full season of sports car racing, set in the late 1980s.

I ran a similar challenge here in AI about a year and a half ago, and in spite of all the issues with game-breaking bugs (which have all been fixed, I am happy to say) and an admittedly not-very-well designed challenge, we had almost 30 entries to it - I hold no illusion that it will happen again, but I would love to see some more AI participation in this!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

The little plastic drive gear in my E36 power seat decided to break on my drive home because of course it did. Now I'm leaning back in a manner that onlookers would question my motives.

How irritating. Good news is that I found a replacement on eBay for $13.50.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

nm posted:

If you complain they will give you free prime.

Or tell you flat out they don't guarantee anything. I started taking screenshots of the order page where they, in big bold green letters say they guarantee delivery on xxxx date.

They've trained their customer service people to be assholes as of late.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh yeah

BUY HOT SAUCE FROM ME OR SOMETHING

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Rhyno posted:

Oh yeah

I want hot sauce.

GIMMME

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
PM ME AND I WILL OPEN THE GATEWAY

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

PM ME AND I WILL OPEN THE GATEWAY
I HAVE DONE THIS.

BRING FORTH THE SCOVILLES :science:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

scuz posted:

I HAVE DONE THIS.

BRING FORTH THE SCOVILLES :science:

Ooooh, i should get it rated. But it's more about yummy yummy than it is OH GOD MY MOUTH AND TOMORROW MORNING MY rear end

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I'll vouch that RhynoSauce is pretty tasty. Great on eggs, great on pizza, great on everything.

Not super hot but full of good good flavor.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I am quietly dreading that everyone else will hate it.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Rhyno posted:

I am quietly dreading that everyone else will hate it.

send some to 14 for an official rating

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Raluek posted:

send some to 14 for an official rating

I should probably do that.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Goober Peas posted:

Or tell you flat out they don't guarantee anything. I started taking screenshots of the order page where they, in big bold green letters say they guarantee delivery on xxxx date.

They've trained their customer service people to be assholes as of late.

I have literally always gotten a free month. Even when it was "expected by" rathen than guaranteed. I don't think I've actually paid for prime for like 2 years.
Note that I buy an absolute poo poo ton of stuff from amazon, so that might cause me to get better CS?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Rhyno posted:

Oh yeah

Just got my Rhynosauce in the mail. It's a nice heat with a little bit of almost mustardy tang. I like it a lot! Thanks!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Safety Dance posted:

Just got my Rhynosauce in the mail. It's a nice heat with a little bit of almost mustardy tang. I like it a lot! Thanks!

Yay!

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

nm posted:

I have literally always gotten a free month. Even when it was "expected by" rathen than guaranteed. I don't think I've actually paid for prime for like 2 years.
Note that I buy an absolute poo poo ton of stuff from amazon, so that might cause me to get better CS?
I would hope my $4-5k annually as an individual would put me in a semi-reasonable service tier. I can pretty much count on not seeing orders guaranteed for Saturday or Sunday until Tuesday.

When I ask for the compensation, I usually get the "we don't guarantee anything" line or "yes but we give you all of this too" line. After I ask to cancel I usually get the free month offer followed by emphasis on "as a courtesy".

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jesus fuckin hell. My girlfriend is being for real stalked by some creep who after being denied a rental where she works, came back again "just to say hi" and then liked a sitload of her Facebook posts. From his FB profile he appears to be some sort of master martial arts instructor so confronting him is out of the picture.

Anyone want to form a brute squad?

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Rhyno posted:

Jesus fuckin hell. My girlfriend is being for real stalked by some creep who after being denied a rental where she works, came back again "just to say hi" and then liked a sitload of her Facebook posts. From his FB profile he appears to be some sort of master martial arts instructor so confronting him is out of the picture.

Anyone want to form a brute squad?

He gonna bring a fist to a gun fight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

This guy?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

• Locked thread