Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I caught the end of Rogan's podcast and he just sounded loving disheartened at how stupid Eddie Bravo is and kept trying to end the podcast.

E] Alex Jones kept yelling "Once in a lifetime chance for me to tell you what's really goin on!" Then trying to get Eddie Bravo to punch him in the arm :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I caught the end of Rogan's podcast and he just sounded loving disheartened at how stupid Eddie Bravo is and kept trying to end the podcast.

E] Alex Jones kept yelling "Once in a lifetime chance for me to tell you what's really goin on!" Then trying to get Eddie Bravo to punch him in the arm :psyduck:

When Rogan starts to look at your like a crazy person the canary in your coal mine isn't just dead but on fire.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I mean, the evidence of Korean sovereignty over Dokdo is clearly recorded in many history books of Korea. To quote Hendo, "You can't rewrite history."

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

ummmm... alright.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Bubba Smith posted:

ummmm... alright.

sounds great

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

I'd go if I got a free Chili Peppers concert at the end.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Bubba Smith posted:

ummmm... alright.

enzyte salesmen are going to be all over this thing

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Dogbrisket posted:

deffo 100% natural

I'm gonna ask my coach (who fought Cung 4 times in sanshou) if he was on the juice back then.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
God I hope we get a great Conan thing out of this

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Intel&Sebastian posted:

*is down by 124 points*

*scores 2*

I told you these guys were good

it tends to work like that the other way in this thread as well. although i personally dont mind tim kennedy since his only crime is saying crap online

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Bubba Smith posted:

ummmm... alright.

thats a really nice gesture

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I.N.R.I posted:

it tends to work like that the other way in this thread as well. although i personally dont mind tim kennedy since his only crime is saying crap online

I didnt like his stance on ptsd, knowing some people with it but I have no animosity toward him.

Hes just a dumb rear end.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Tim Kennedy believes very strongly in things he would do in hypothetical situations

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Tim Kennedy cheated against Yoel, then Yoel cheated less egregiously and killed him. That's my favourite Tim Kennedy memory.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

I.N.R.I posted:

For some reason I thought his only crime was war crimes, but perhaps I'm misremembering

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

david carmichael posted:

For some reason I thought his only crime was war crimes, but perhaps I'm misremembering

i dont like the military either

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!

Bubba Smith posted:

ummmm... alright.

If anyone wants a free trip to las vegas so bad they should probably just look at Chael Sonen's timeshare.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Snowman_McK posted:

Tim Kennedy cheated against Yoel, then Yoel cheated less egregiously and killed him. That's my favourite Tim Kennedy memory.

IMO Yoel's cheating was actually more egregious, but he was at best 25% conscious during it, so I think it averages out to less.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
I can form opinions on people who post stupid stuff online but Tim Kennedy is fairly unique in that he used a tshirt give away to insinuate that he could now travel to the perspective recipient's houses and murder them with his gun.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

I.N.R.I posted:

i dont like the military either

Oh it's not that he's in the military. Tim bragged about killing women and children a few times. Actual war crimes. Also good excuse to use that norm joke

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

LobsterMobster posted:

While Cung Le getting violently owned is rad (love that 1st Scott Smith fight), he beat up Wanderlei and made Joe Rogan cry out in anguish, which is extremely cool.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Cung Le contains multitudes.

Unless I'm completely missing the joke, that was another example of Cung Le getting violently owned. Joe Rogan cried over the defeat of spinning back kicks, not PRIDE never die.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Fat Twitter Man posted:

Unless I'm completely missing the joke, that was another example of Cung Le getting violently owned. Joe Rogan cried over the defeat of spinning back kicks, not PRIDE never die.

gently caress, you're right

My brain is a ruinous mess

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
"NO! THAT WAS A BAD STOPPAGE!"

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I don't think you can just assume that WME massively overpaid for the UFC. The UFC isn't snapchat or instagram with some massive unrealized profits which would make someone value it on potential future earning. UFC is and always will be a niche sport that could easily go out of fashion as quickly as it has gone into it. Pulling together a deal this size with a company that is willing to take on the risk/find the financing was probably pretty darn hard. Since nobody has a good idea what the UFC's books really look like, nobody really knows what WME has to do to make this a good investment.

I don't think a better TV deal will actually equate to more profitability for WME. A better TV is probably a hell of a lot less risky than relying on PPV revenue which can be highly variable and which is mostly driven by individual fighters.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

david carmichael posted:

Oh it's not that he's in the military. Tim bragged about killing women and children a few times. Actual war crimes. Also good excuse to use that norm joke

really ? i didnt know that. my apologies if its true

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
UFC sells a lot of ppvs and doesn't have to pay their talent that much, I don't know why anyone would think it isn't bare minimum profitable.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Work Friend Keven posted:

UFC sells a lot of ppvs and doesn't have to pay their talent that much, I don't know why anyone would think it isn't bare minimum profitable.

yeah. I've seen websites on the internet point toward UFC 206 Holloway vs Pettis as being a failure cause it only did 150k buys but they easily paid all of the purses that night with ticket sales. Even with a low buyrate, all those PPV sales are just profit.

It's gonna take quite a few years to earn back the $4.2 billion they invested but every month they're generating like $50-100 million in revenue. They'll get it back. And firing Mike Goldberg was the first step

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Bubba Smith posted:

And firing Mike Goldberg was the first step

I don't like this thread anymore.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Bubba Smith posted:

yeah. I've seen websites on the internet point toward UFC 206 Holloway vs Pettis as being a failure cause it only did 150k buys but they easily paid all of the purses that night with ticket sales. Even with a low buyrate, all those PPV sales are just profit.

They have a lot more costs than just fight purses

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
That said I think they're very profitable

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!
If dana white was rich he'd have hair and his mansion wouldnt just be a shabby farm in maine or wherever.

Everyone is on WIC and cant afford the fancy milk now, which is why Mystic Mac (the king of dole living) is our champion.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Skip My Posts posted:

That said I think they're very profitable

Meltzer claimed UFC had >$600M in revenue for 2015 and netted >$150M profit, and that was their best year ever. These numbers are probably at least close since they are similar to the ones used to determine how much the company was worth when it was purchased. WME-IMG took on $1.8B in debt buying UFC. Depending on the rate they might be paying $100M/yr in interest.

Provided 2015 revenue was the new normal instead of a fluke, yeah, UFC is profitable even with interest payments. Meltzer's PPV estimates that somebody linked earlier indicate 2016 was about as good as 2015 and possibly better.

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

~the animatronic spirit of
so many forgotten waves
Angela Hill as Sagat. Rooting for her for sure now.
https://twitter.com/mikedyce/status/827589418814947333

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

n8r posted:

I don't think you can just assume that WME massively overpaid for the UFC. The UFC isn't snapchat or instagram with some massive unrealized profits which would make someone value it on potential future earning. UFC is and always will be a niche sport that could easily go out of fashion as quickly as it has gone into it. Pulling together a deal this size with a company that is willing to take on the risk/find the financing was probably pretty darn hard. Since nobody has a good idea what the UFC's books really look like, nobody really knows what WME has to do to make this a good investment.

I don't think a better TV deal will actually equate to more profitability for WME. A better TV is probably a hell of a lot less risky than relying on PPV revenue which can be highly variable and which is mostly driven by individual fighters.

I'm in tech and still wonder about the valuation a lot of these social platforms receive. It's all predicated on advertising potential and projections.

Many of these companies have never turned a profit and yet once they "capture the market" or whatever, suddenly it's fountains of cash?

At least the UFC has a business model we can measure today. And it's fist fighting, our most ancient past time.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Skip My Posts posted:

They have a lot more costs than just fight purses

well yes of course but those other costs are much more fixed (things like production, promotional material, flights, hotels, per diem, and all the assistants they have helping fighters). I doubt if those costs are much more than a million per event though. The bulk definitely has to be paying ~24 fighters anywhere from $10k to $100k, more for bigger events.

Balthesar
Sep 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
You're forgetting overhead back office staff, executive compensation, etc, etc

The UFC incurs many costs even when they aren't putting on a card.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Are we forgetting that or is it just not interesting or relevant to the conversation. Keep in mind, the UFC also has to pay taxes.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
FS1 is airing UFC 205 tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Balthesar posted:

You're forgetting overhead back office staff, executive compensation, etc, etc

The UFC incurs many costs even when they aren't putting on a card.

...and UFC also has more ways of making money than just PPVs and ticket sales, but I wasn't talking about the whole company, just each event. That's where a ton of their money goes and where they get a lot of money back.

And more to your point, WME-IMG has already laid off dozens of UFC employees because a lot of the office staff was redundant between the two companies. If anything they're saving money now on that front.

The first step to maximizing their profits was definitely getting rid of Mike Goldberg though

• Locked thread