Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Captain Log posted:

Do you mind telling us what at what weight you compete? I'm just trying to picture the severity of your cut.

competed. past tense. thank god. 72kg, which is like... 160ish? i cut from 78 usually, which is ~12 pounds i think, and that was cool, but once i cut from 82 due to life getting in the way of my camp and it was miserable. i won the first two rounds before gassing hard and getting thoroughly bashed in the third. the fight was a draw and i retired from getting punched for leisure.

e oh and the tough cut i missed weight by 2lbs. sorry, my opponent.

Marching Powder fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Feb 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Captain Log posted:

Posted too quick - Here is the second half -

Did you have any heavyweights cutting weight when you did? I'm curious if it's a harder or easier overall experience depending on weight. gently caress, should probably go to the training thread.

We've all got the same percentage of water in our body, more or less, so 12 pounds for a much bigger guy would be easier to do than a much smaller guy. 12lbs ain't poo poo to a 250 pound guy, but 12lbs is like 10% of mighty mouse.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

-Atom- posted:

Aldo would beat Conor in a rematch because Conor lost to Nate Diaz, who is a bad fighter

He's an extremely good fighter with an obvious red x weak point that conor does not have the tools to exploit. Diaz even had a wrestling advantage for crying out loud and conor going 1 and 1 with him is cool. Not jaw-droppingly impressive but cool.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Southpaugh posted:

Nate has always given me the impression that he's not super interested in fighting and has probably never truly fulfilled his ~~~*potential*~

It's the only interesting first hand experience I can share so I always like to tell it but I had a long chat with Nate in person and he genuinely dislikes fighting. He takes it (admittedly) irrationally personally when people sign a contract to hurt him for money and that's where his animosity towards his opponents stems from. He says he'd be 100%happy just teaching jiu jitsu, smoking weed, and running triathlons, but it just so happens he's one of the best fighters in the world and it pays real well.

He's a really cool person and I'm a fan of his as a fighter and a person (and he's a loving excellent jiu jitsu instructor) and the thought of him teaching kids and smoking weed with millions of dollars makes me really happy.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

I.N.R.I posted:

Im gonna tell him you called him mentally retarded to win a debate with me about smoking weed in competition :mrgw:

i actually said that growing up in stockton might make you uneducated, but that absolutely does not make you mentally retarded. you're thinking of some other guy.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

tbh, i'm still not sure what holloway is capable of.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Intel&Sebastian posted:

She was stepping in for an AKA Bride on a weeks notice

lol

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

sean o'connell was always fun and that division needs more sean o'connel but the rest of the cuts that haven't been discussed already i'm cool with.

hope mizugaki finds some success in the b leagues but i'm getting mad miguel torres vibes from him and honestly i think watching the rest of his career will be mostly sad.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Holloway beating Aldo seems v. unlikely imo.

Pettis (during his title reign) vs Aldo was considered to be a competitive fight at the time, and holloway beat the gently caress out of him and did what rda couldn't in 5 rounds. Kid's elite, and I would not be surprised to see him win. Or lose.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Hill looks nearly untouched after that intense beating she endured. good for her

.... Oh yeah. I didn't even think that that was post vicious beating.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Dan Didio posted:

Cub's next fight has been booked.

Tkz?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

tell me cub swanson vs. artem lobov isn't a real fight

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Dan Didio posted:

Nate Diaz vs Charlie Day?

who the gently caress is charlie day?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Work Friend Keven posted:

if only there was some way you could find out

.... true. why talk to people at all when i can just google everything that actually matters (STEM)

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

choi / barao was apparently erroneously reported, which sucks.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Brown Paper Bag posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE48MNjKW4I

It's rare to see a sports executive take a massive poo poo on one of their events.

It used to happen on the reg but the ufc these last couple of years have been incredible. Dana hasn't had much cause for complaint.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

Was out last night is the card worth watching while recovering? Did Holm confirm that she's Buster Douglas?
Watch Poirier miller and then do literally anything else.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Bluedeanie posted:

I thought it was better than the Teixeira fight.

Cannonier was weird in that he was good enough on the floor to not have glover instantly take his arm / head home but had nothing for the glover patented single leg takedown. Alaska is weird.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Dan Didio posted:

Whittaker will always be cool because of how thoroughly he beat down that weird, insane, cheating dude who wanted to fist-fight Obama.

You're confusing tedious wrestler and noted dickhead Colton Smith with tedious wrestler and noted dickhead Jacob Volkmann.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

i don't know if you'd prefer us to discuss this in the qcs thread or what, but i think this was pretty weak. i think most of us would prefer you let us work these things out unless it becomes egregious.

laughing at people earnestly critiquing fighter tatts should not be a probateable offense imo

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Hahahaha someone actually reported this

every now and again i'm reminded that the report button exists and people use it and that's pretty funny all on it's own. good feature of a comedy website.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

There is more to the story than you all know

oh.

dear moderator, please only publicly punish someone for things they say or do publicly or else it looks like stupid bullshit that we, the community, don't want to have happen. thanks.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Hey I gave Skip a 6 hour probation (which is nothing, it's already almost over) because I thought they were taking things too far and going overboard and needed a break. It's as simple as that, disagree with it if you like but it was my call.

I don't want to poo poo up the thread with explanations or justifications for every mod action I take (which are very few, usually you guys handle yourselves just fine) but if any of you ever want me to clarify something send me a PM or post in a QCS thread about it. Thanks.

you should probably acknowledge our ability to self-regulate with actions as well as words. by that i mean probably don't put probations on people when yourself and the aggrieved are the only one's with the problem. if you're going to do that, at least put out invitations for a discord seminar on acceptable posting so we can all pull ourselves up to the required level of posting morality. this will stop us disagreeing en-masse with your hysterical mashing of the mod button. ta.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

I assume the Irish sun is like it's British counterpart but they're reporting that an agreement has been reached between conor and Mayweather. Nothing signed yet though (of course).

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Dedicated jack lubes

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

I'd watch it because regardless of outcome there is a near 100% chance that a very wealthy egotist would get embarrassed and although I try and be a humble, decent man I still really want to see that because I am a flawed human being. I wish it was because I'm a life-long combat sports fan but it isn't.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

they got like, 400 fighters? at a tenner a month that's a cool 4k going walking every month you can have for the low low cost of mildly disgruntling every fighter under contract to you

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

manyak posted:

Also i still dont think itll happen and its stupid, the way everyones talking about it like its actually gonna happen is unnerving

i get it, and same, but the more i think about it the more it makes sense. conor will lose easily. conor has lost before. conor will make stupid money. conor's career in mma is in no way negatively effected. floyd gets his 50 in a match that makes the berto fight look dangerous and also makes a billion dollars. it makes sense.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Novum posted:

Not the opinion I would have guessed you held

it would make conor look ineffectual and stupid, of course he hates it.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

big money big clit posted:

If Floyd cared about getting to 50 wins there are plenty over overmatched boxers he could have faught by now, and made 100 million doing it, so I'm not sure why he'd choose to cap off his legacy by fighting a guy from a different sport who just recently got beat up by Nick Diaz.

Plus UFC management will never sign off on any split that Floyd would be happy with.

the money between him fighting conor and anyone else not named manny pacquiao or ggg isn't even on the same planet and the conor fight contains a near zero risk.

e: also, conor would settle for less than pacquiao for drat sure

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

BlindSite posted:

Why are you arguing about a fight that isnt happening and that wont happen?

we are inbetween 208 and another card that is worse on paper.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Demian Maia: hosed Again

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Im a 32 year old half white married guy who likes Danny Brown and Tyler TC a whole lot.

i literally just noticed your avatar. nice.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

savinhill posted:

Ah, Kevin Casey. He never disappoints, except for maybe himself

and undoubtedly his father in law (RIP)

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Triticum Guzzler posted:

it's important for champions to have a character: dominick cruz is a cat in human skin, georges st pierre is a robot driven insane by reconciling his customer service politeness programming with being a fighter, and tyronewoodley was raised machida style by an overbearing parent who played the yoshi's island mario crying noise to him in his sleep every day of his life

Lol

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

I really, really want to hear the reason.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

It's good that other orgs are getting legit sick fighters and not just old legends and dudes no one cares about but it's also bad because just following the ufc has become nearly impossible at this point.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Lid posted:

Yes but if you start relying on only names they realise that they control you and not tge other way around, UFC was successful in building by avoiding the boxing pitfall of letting the fighters choose. The loss of Lorenzo and Joe Silva contributes strongly to this. As for Sage and Paige everyone could see that was protection based on nothing and yeah it blew up in their faces. As for Bones he is one that shows what happens when you get too big too fast and burns out in a blaze of glory, like tge burn one feels from a fingernail raking the cornea.

Man I don't know poo poo about business but I sort of agree with you. It's just a couple of prospects leaving and the paying for fightpass thing at the moment, but I've got a bad feeling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Captain Log posted:

Us American's have a wonderful tradition of finding a good thing and then letting the rich gently caress the hell out of it. So...prepare for that...

the fertittas were rich and built something amazing. the only difference in terms of fertitta richness and conglomerate richness seems to be lorenzo would open his wallet for every tiny japanese man joe silva wouldn't stop messaging him about.

• Locked thread