Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Yeah, I would have thought if they were going down that road we'd see them chop a lot of the foreign fighters kept around to pad out overseas cards, since they're supposed to be cutting back on overseas cards anyway.

Don't know about resale, but the short term goal is getting a better deal for the TV rights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

...and the pitch! posted:

I think she can only get 1 year for what she tested for.

Yeah, it's a year max. In the lead up to 208 Dana insinuated that something was afoot that may result in less time. Then again he said the same about Jones and that turned out to be arbitration which resulted in no discount.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Dumb question: if you are competing in boxing and then kick a dude in the head (which is explicitly against the rules and therefore not possible for your opponent to anticipate), is there a potential for criminal charges, or does the legal structure that lets consenting people kick each others' asses in the ring protect the kicker in this situation?

Generally speaking yes. The law still applies to sports like anything else and if something goes beyond the inherent aspects of the competition a person could be liable.

That been said commissions, tribunals and the like go to great lengths to keep it in house and outside of the courts.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

CommonShore posted:

Then her duty was to report it to USADA immediately instead of waiting til she tested positive.

She also failed to declare it when the test took place.

Her doctor works with Olympians too, so you would think they'd have advised her to declare.

If it was anyone else we'd probably take it at face value though.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

It is lol though that Cyborg got her TUE despite failing to declare on at least two occasions whilst Michida sits on the sidelines despite never popping.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Chapel/Bisping wasn't.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

The Fertittas' long-term goal was global domination, hence all the international cards and fighters. I think it was Lorenzo in his big sit down that said he envisioned the sport being bigger than soccer.

The new owners have nixed that idea and want to roll back the number of cards. Makes sense short-term, the UFC still was plenty of names and if anything they had been spreading themselves too thin in recent years.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Schenck v. U.S. posted:

Yeah, the UFC isn't operating in a vacuum so you can't just say that WME-IMG is loving up and damaging the quality of the product because they're stupid. Bellator is bidding for talent and some prominent fighters made free agency work for them. Bendo and Rory might be a model for fighters going forward, instead of the exception that proves the rule.

My guess, judging from when the Alvarez contract stuff came out, would be that the UFC is a much better place for top guys due to PPV points. We'll probably see more mid-level/prospects bouncing around leagues as they are more viable for other leagues to poach, and in turn they can hope to leverage the UFC by going on a tear elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Essentially, wasn't the given reason for his departure "I don't have to work anymore, so I'm not working anymore"

From memory he was the only executive who didn't reside in Vegas and the travel was a big factor for him.

With the buyout he probably went from 'I don't have to work' to 'I have an obscene amount of money I couldn't spend in a lifetime' so decided to retire.

• Locked thread