Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I remember Story looking like an absolutely incredible prospect at one point, crazy strong.

Then he ran into Charlie loving Brenneman of all people, and he's never quite put it together since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Tim Kennedy cheated against Yoel, then Yoel cheated less egregiously and killed him. That's my favourite Tim Kennedy memory.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

manyak posted:

Im afraid TKZ is gonna look bad, hes had a really long layoff and his game was always pretty attribute based, he hit hard and had good timing and had a good chin but was pretty wild, that type of guy can really fall off after a long break. Plus Bermudez has looked good lately and is really solid everywhere. I have to think TKZ asked for a hard comeback fight cause they easily could have given him someone less good than Bermudez

There was a few fighters recently who actually looked really good after an extended layoff, like Cruz and Zingano. With TKZ, he's had the chance to rehab the many, many injuries he had.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

another thing to consider is that since tkz went on sabbatical featherweight has turned into a loving shark tank. my concern is that even if tkz comes back as good as when he left, he'd maybe be a top 15 guy at this point.

Dennis Bermudez was in the middle of really long win streak the last time TKZ fought, now he's on a two fight win streak over a cool old man and a bad brazilian fighter. Right before that, he was finished brutally twice in a row. If featherweight has turned into a shark tank, I don't think Dennis is a symptom of that.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

chaleski posted:

we need to stop doubting this man

I remember us here getting a little angry when they released Fitch, Bendo and Okami, then it turned out they were absolutely right.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Thrifting Day! posted:

Sage Northcutt's new training camp will be in Atlanta, where he will learn chokes.

I'm so pleased I got this joke. I'm a sports guy now.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

is it a gimmick if he actually stalked and harassed james thompson until james did a podcast with him? unless we're saying that the zodiac had a gimmick.

Most serial killers have gimmicks, it's how we distinguish them from regular killers.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Captain Log posted:

I post by shouting at people on the streets.

Anyways, did Anderson mention a weight for the contest? If he did, I missed it. I believe Anderson when he says he has nothing left to prove. He seems to like Conor and think it would be fun.

Still, 167 pound Anderson is loooong gone.

Unless he severs that leg that broke.

You know, so it can't break again.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I thought TKZ had beefed a fair bit. He's definitely done a bit of lifting.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

TKZ's brawling definitely held up, and the counterwrestling was solid, but his attempt at head movement and movement in general wasn't really gelled.
The whole cocking his head to the outside and just keeping it there would be death against someone like McGregor. Not enough data to say where his chin is at now.

Luckily McGregor will never fight at featherweight again.

Or, quite possibly, the UFC.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Yoel finishes people in the third round of three round fights all the time. The rest of the time, he wins by decision.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Dangersim posted:

Yoel doesn't really gas, but that's because he spends long amounts of time doing absolutely nothing.

He did definitely gas against Jacare, but that's because Jacare is a physical freak himself.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

big money big clit posted:

I recall him slowing down against Jacare and thought he was lucky it was only a three round fight. He's also never gone past three, but then I don't think Bisping stays awake that long so I guess it doesn't matter.

Jacare was gassed as poo poo as well. That was a weird fight.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Captain Log posted:

I never ever EVER thought I'd be typing this but Bisping is really good at a lot of things.

I hope you're right.

He's good at two things, cardio and initiating scrambles.

CommonShore posted:

Bisping is a lot of things, but the one thing that separates him from other fighters - his "Anderson Silva counterpunching" or "GSP double leg" - is his ability to learn from his losses. Every time he has lost he has come back a better and smarter fighter, and his skill set, physical gifts, and fight IQ have come into focus late in his career.

I think it's more that Anderson Silva was old, Luke Rockhold is stupid and Dan Henderson was even older. And Hendo still nearly won the exact same way he won the first time. Twice.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Dangersim posted:

I haven't seen it in forever but I think I thought it was a draw.

That's fair. Very little happened outside of the spinning backfist in the first.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Still makes me laugh every time.

Once Bisping has lost again and sanity is restored to the division, I'll be able to laugh. In the meantime, I'm still angry at Rockhold.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Neurosis posted:

I haven't forgiven Yoel for killing Weidman and also being a roided out cheat and I hope Bisping controls distance and wears him down. Also the Jacare fight was either a draw or a Jacare win so gently caress Yoel.

The bin making GBS threads CAF with maxed out stats was bad all along.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Dangersim posted:

I still think it's funny that they got really strict on steroids and suddenly michael bisping became the champion

Amazing that he beat a really old man and a really stupid one then another really old one all in a row. The explanation is definitely steroids.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

2 of those guys have definitely done steroids, and the other guy after some spectacular performances got totally and easily bested by Michael Bisping at around the time steroids became extremely hard to do. I think it's worth considering. He'll I think it's worth lolling.

One of those spectacular performances against the best guy he's ever beaten happened while steroids were extremely hard to do. And, once again, the other two guys are crazy loving old. And one of them still managed to nearly beat him the exact way he's beaten him before, but presumably hits a bit less hard just this side of fifty as opposed to just this side of forty.

Also, I feel like steroids probably don't stop you walking into dumbass counters that you never should have been in the vicinity of anyway. Fuckin' stupid, sexy Rockhold.

There are some fighters who have looked suspiciously terrible since USADA, like Jake Matthews, who went from being a crazy strong grappler and terrible striker to a terrible, gassy grappler and terrible striker. The timing isn't really there for Bisping, though.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Feb 9, 2017

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I genuinely thought at one point that Weidman had a shot at retiring undefeated. I thought the same about Ronda. Proving beyond any doubt that I don't know what I'm talking about

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

Even if Conor beats Aldo 10/10 times that doesn't mean he is a better fighter than Aldo imo. Aldo's run at the top was amazing and Conor has a long way to go before he does something like that.

Though I don't agree that Conor is some transcendent being since the Aldo fight now or whatev that dude was saying

The alvarez win was really impressive, he managed to lose to Nate Diaz and then beat him less convincingly that non-transcendental beings like Ben Henderson and Joe Stevenson, who I just realised have identically structured names.

Dangersim posted:

Does he though?

Yes

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Dangersim posted:

I'm not really trying to argue if one is better then the other, just that I don't know if Aldo's reign of dominance is really way more impressive then what conor has done. And I was there for the whole thing.

You don't know if going undefeated against the top tier of a division for between 5 and 7 years is really more impressive than two legitimately impressive wins and a whole bunch of 'meh' and extremely qualified wins? (The Aldo knockout and the Alvarez knockout were both amazing, waiting for Mendes' body to shut down and having to wrestle a 12 year old max holloway, less so)

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Feb 10, 2017

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Work Friend Keven posted:

I will admit that Aldo badly mismanaged his energy in assuming that the fight would be over in seconds, resulting in a serious gas out. However, I think given time to adjust and gameplan, he won't make that mistake again.

I think that if Aldo really put his mind to it and transcended, like Conor, he could go on to win an unconvincing decision over the man that soundly beat him the first time.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Dangersim posted:

What is an "extremely qualified" win?

A man who took the fight on less than two weeks notice gassing out.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Dangersim posted:

Oh stop this nonsense

Mendes gassed really badly. You can tell by watching the fight, and noticing when he gasses really badly. It's in the first round. It goes downhill from there.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

attackmole posted:

MMA stats are literally the worst because the entire basis of most sports analytics is that you can quantify point return. An NBA bucket is two points, a guy runs past home plate that's one run. Satisfy this condition, you get this return that contributes to your score. There is no equivalent of that in MMA. Judging is arbitrary, and a Jake Shields AISH and a Roy Nelson haymaker are both a single punch that may or may not be 'significant' depending on if some fightmetric intern presses the right button. Two punches that are counted the same can have vastly different effects.

I mean with camera tracking and advanced analytics people are trying more and more crazy and interesting stuff but there's basically no worse sport to apply it to than MMA unless you're Greg Jackson and read a book on game theory once.

I still maintain that the best illustration of the phenomenon is Lawler/Condit, where the stats are really, really lopsided, but the fight isn't. It's not because Condit is point-fighting or anything, he's throwing lots of stuff that hurts (you can tell because he hurts Lawler repeatedly) but he's thinking about the 4th punch he throws in a combination. The first three were to get you moving, to make you lean the wrong way so you don't see the fourth coming, while Lawler just throws everything really hard, trusting his timing and power to do the damage. Neither is inherently better or worse, and both used their styles effectively, they're just thinking about striking differently and thus the stats are almost useless in assessing it. I watched the fight as it happened and only looked up the stats the next day.

kimbo305 posted:

Dana cozy with Trump to prevent losing any fighters to deportation.

"Mr Finland" And Gegard Mousassi were both born in Iran and fight out of Europe, they're prime candidates for that dumbass ban.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Julio Cruz posted:

I don't know that Anderson is really that close to a title shot, there's probably 3 guys in line in front of him (Yoel, Jacare, probably Rockhold) and he hasn't put in a really strong performance since...Chael 2? Personally I hope Manuwa smashes him.

Jacare will never fight for the title as they will never give him a fight that matters to set him up for it. He's managed to have two opponents that matter in the last 4 years, the rest of the time, they've just got him doing time trials on increasingly low ranked opponents.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Robert Whittaker's successful move to middleweight is among the happiest I've been to be wrong.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

MacDougall posted:

I find it strange that people always wrote him off. I think that people didn't realise he was still so young.

It wasn't that. It's that he wasn't even particularly big for a welterweight and his first fight at middleweight was enormous flawed fighter Clint Hester. While he's improving due to his age, he's also much, much faster at middleweight.

Bubba Smith posted:

I'm glad Cody No Love exists & is champion.
signed,
Dominick Cruz fan for 8 years

This is true. I'm sad Cruz had to lose, but he lost by being on the wrong end of an absolutely virtuoso performance. Cody's cool cause he's that super talented, gifted prospect who makes that leap from 'could be good' to 'genuinely amazing fighter'

chaleski posted:

The worst tattoo in MMA will always be Alan Belcher's Johnny Cash tattoo

Incorrect. It will always be Melvin Costa's giant swastika. However, the best tattoo will always be Melvin Costa's belly tattoo that says 'I have a small penis' in a font that screams 'Hello, I've lost a bet. What is your least legible font?'

EmmyOk posted:

Even if she's not fighting in Dallas Andrade is the only sensible fight for her next. Carla Esparza is still ranked above Andrade bizarrely.

Carla is seeking to preserve her ranking in lucite by never fighting anyone ever again.

Rigel posted:

The UFC just updated Johnny Hendricks to Middleweight on their list of fighters.

That could just be a sign that he finished lunch.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Memento posted:

Thank you very much for taking up the mantle of fatherdog multi-quote posting, I've missed it these past weeks. You just need to tell people they're wrong a bit more and you'll really have it nailed down.

I'm in Australia and you guys have cool discussions while I'm asleep and I just wanted to take part and GET OFF MY loving BACK, DAD. THEY'RE NOT CARTOONS.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Zwachro posted:

She's slated to fight Randa Markos this weekend! But yah, she's spent the last year ducking Gadelha and Andrade while complaining about not getting fights.

She's got TUF beef with Randa at least, so they have something to play up if they want.

In the interim, Randa's present ceiling has been shown to be a bit lower than the show indicated, so that probably factored into her decision.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Joanna vs. Carla is one of my favorite MMA beatdowns. Joe Rogan's increasing horror ("Oh man! Oh man!") as the fight goes on and the way the ref perfectly times his stoppage to catch Carla as she falls down are great.

Someone on here drew my attention to the one punch Carla manages to land. It doesn't faze Joanna in the slightest, and, if anything, lets her feel confident to beat the poo poo out of her with even more gusto.

Joanna loving owns.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

LobsterMobster posted:

I felt like throwing this together because I like Nunes

https://streamable.com/db30d

I did notice something kinda cool:

When McMann and Baszler throw half-assed, lovely low kicks that don't have a hope of connecting, and they slowly spin back around, Nunes leaps in with a punch to the loving face. Who are some other folks that pounce on "mistakes" like that? I thought I remembered someone else that did something similar?

Dillashaw did it against Barao. Everytime Barao would start flurrying with those powerful hooks of his to create space, TJ would wait for him to pause, then rush in and punch him in the face.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
She also seems really nice. All my favourite fighters are nice. I think it's important.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Precisely.

He can basically say something like "Oi went and fought da best boxer of all toime. What duh fuk is everyone else doing while oi challenge meself and make a lot a fookin money?"
Like how he pretended he challenged himself by fighting Nate Diaz.

Mr. Nice! posted:

How amazing would it be if he just walk off KOed Floyd, though?
It would be far more amazing if he turned into a dragon, and then Floyd turned into three dragons. Then Dana is also dragons, and all the dragons were wearing Sprawl mma shorts and they join together to make a giant Dan Henderson face in the sky, who recited "To a Mouse" by Robert Burns.

threeagainstfour posted:

That said, I can't imagine Conor actually cares about winning or losing so long as he gets a huge pay day out of the match.
True, there's no way the man who became a hermit in Iceland and spent a bajillion dollars on a camp in order to become the 9th man to beat Nate Diaz by decision cares about winning or losing.

Novum posted:

He has never ko'd with a headkick
To the best of my recollection, he's never even hurt somebody with them. He uses them the way other fighters use a jab: as interference, to measure his range and to bait them to come in. This has come at the cost of making his actual jab awful.

threeagainstfour posted:

Speaking of fights that might actually happen, tony and Khabib is right around the corner.
This is a genuinely interesting fight. Tony is so goddamn versatile, so good all round, while Khabib is so single minded and you know exactly what he's gonna do every time, but you can't stop it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

threeagainstfour posted:

I should have specified. I doubt he truly cares about winning or losing this particular, extremely stupid boxing match so long as it happens and he can pocket many millions of dollars.

I think at some point he was a happy go lucky guy who was capable of seeing that. I think now he fully believes his own bullshit.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Detroit_Dogg posted:

He's a really really really good fighter.

He in no way deserves three reallys.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Southpaugh posted:

Changing the subject from boring as gently caress to vaguely perturbing,

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQe-NhbBzf3/

Either Kelvins taking his diet srsly or hes on the juice?????

Kelvin's always been a solidly build guy. His gut just sets it off and makes it less obvious.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Dan Didio posted:

Also, Todd Duffee pulled out of his UFC 209 fight, so sorry to all you Duffheads out there.

I remember thinking Todd Duffee was good, also that he would fight more than once a year. I'm wrong a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

LobsterMobster posted:

Hendricks says he's 197, so he's got until Saturday morning to hit 186.

I don't believe he is and I don't believe he will.

Oh, rad. Remember when Anthony Johnson kept missing weight, then moved up to middleweight, and managed to miss weight far worse? It's that, except with a guy who wouldn't even be a tall lightweight.

• Locked thread