Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Schenck v. U.S. posted:

[
  • it is not crazy, provided UFC can sustain the revenue and growth they have shown over the past few years

And, based on the policy shift they've shown in terms of talent acquisition, retentions and release, that's in pretty loving serious doubt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Triticum Guzzler posted:

I'm glad Lombard lost

I'm sad Hendricks won, but this is helping. A friend had a story of Lombard showing up to a wedding (he was invited, he didn't just arrive) and trying to fight everyone.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Triticum Guzzler posted:

lol. my favourite hector lombard stories are when josh barnett got fed up of him bullying smaller people in the gym so he pinned him down and beat the poo poo out of him, and when dan henderson said he didn't like gym bullies and had heard things about lombard, so lombard immediately started trying to intimidate him at presser events and then hendo knocked him extremely unconscious

I met him briefly at one of those 'meet the fighters' things in Melbourne for 193. No one there was fighting in Melbourne, so it was more 'meet some fighters' I can confirm that Soa Paleilei is loving enormous and super nice, and that Hector Lombard has a giant head and bad MMA opinions.
Seriously, his head is absolutely enormous and he's really short. He looks like a bobblehead of himself. I'm still sad the Rory fight didn't happen.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Feb 20, 2017

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Memento posted:

My wife and I are watching the fights from today. She would like to know why Bigg Rigg put Vaseline up his nose. Also she said he looked "fat as poo poo" and wondered if his corner were promising him sandwiches if he won.

Your wife is pretty rad. Not as rad that goon's mum, but pretty rad.

If any of you don't remember that series of posts, some goon's mum watched fights with him, and described Shogun as a 'potato man' and Dan Henderson as 'well punchy'

Also, when she watched Nelson/Werdum, she yelled out 'careful, he might not be hurt' which officially makes her a better MMA tactician than Fedor.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Hendricks is a fuckin' weirdo. In the build up to 181, when he had won another title fight, had the title and was preparing to defend it, he was still going on about the GSP fight.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Skip My Posts posted:

they probably asked him to speak on it, since GSP was a huge draw that had retired

You think 'our current champ whining about an old fight' was a marketing strategy? It sounded silly, but I can sort of see it. I still doubt it and based on what I've seen of Hendricks, I'm pretty sure whining is just an instinct for him.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Browne was always a testament to what you can do with a fair bit of athleticism and literally no talent whatsoever. at 34, there's a good chance that athleticism is seriously going.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

BlindSite posted:

Hes a good example of how not to manage your career.

Everyone thought he was gonna be a champ in the locker room then he went to edmond and died.

Its beautiful in a way.

He was bad long before he got to Edmond. Pre-Edmond, Werdum systematically picked him apart, winning a dominant decision. Post Edmond, the exact same poo poo happens in almost the exact same way. I knew he'd never be a champ, win-streak be damned. He's at heavyweight, it's actually possible to have a massive win-streak while really, really bad.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Memento posted:

Browne is a great example of Heavyweight being 50/50 most of the time except for a select group of top-5-ish fighters that will actually fight as opposed to be large and athletic. This being his first loss to a guy who has never been champion might mean that's all on the way out for him.

Which is great because I for one will not miss his spastic flailing and dreadful face/tattoos/personality when they shitcan him.

Bigfoot was never champ (unless EliteXC counts for some reason) and nor has Kongo (I know technically that's a draw, but not because Kongo and Browne are both equally good at fighting)

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

are we talking about browne or derrick lewis?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Skip My Posts posted:

browne's movement when he is hurt or getting brutally hosed up is really entertaining to me

It's pretty entertaining anyway. I think, much like a pug who mistakes himself for a german shepherd, Browne is under the impression that's he's a coordinated man of normal height, instead of being a pathologically uncoordinated man of 6'7

• Locked thread