Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

LobsterMobster posted:

I felt like throwing this together because I like Nunes

https://streamable.com/db30d

I did notice something kinda cool:

When McMann and Baszler throw half-assed, lovely low kicks that don't have a hope of connecting, and they slowly spin back around, Nunes leaps in with a punch to the loving face. Who are some other folks that pounce on "mistakes" like that? I thought I remembered someone else that did something similar?

weidman and rockhold with the ill conceived spinning kick seems like the obvious answer, and then bisping against rockhold although it didnt involve anyone spinning .. kinda like a matryoshka doll of fuckups when you think about it

edit: misread yet another post, excuse me

I.N.R.I fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Feb 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

I assume the Irish sun is like it's British counterpart but they're reporting that an agreement has been reached between conor and Mayweather. Nothing signed yet though (of course).

they dont have the sun in ireland. unless you mean the newspaper

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Yeah, this part isn't as well studied, but the IOC was comfortable enough that it didn't effect athletic performance that it's a non-issue. Anecdotally I've lost like 4" off my biceps so far.

Also these arguments also seem to focus specifically on trans women. Do people just have 0 reservations about trans men fighting cis men? Trans men literally get to jack themselves up on an infinite supply of testosterone to transition yet it never seems to come up.

true. but i think the supposed argument about muscle memory and bone structure applies the other way too, if anything there should be some concern for people born as women intending to fight men. i dont believe that trans athletes have an unfair performance advantage but i do have a really hard time believing that there arent at least some features of the human body exclusive to birth gender that cant be reversed or fortified by hormones or testosterone. its not really my battle to fight though

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

CommonShore posted:

There's variation in things like bone structure and muscle density among men/women, too. This is where we start to get really complicated, because there's an impulse to start quantifying these things, so beyond the endocrine questions I'm inclined to say "gently caress it."

If a FTM person decides to go fight men, he may have lower bone density than the median male competitor and that's his assumed risk, but a) half of the cis competitors will have below-median bone density relative to all competitors, and b) he also may end up having better flexibility and an easier time making weight because of his differently-shaped pelvis and lighter bones. That's more of a tradeoff than any kind of "advantage," and every human body has those kinds of tradeoffs. For example, Jon Jones has freak arms, but his dick doesn't work.

The TRT question is, as noted, probably the bigger one.

we agree there. but in this particular case i think that stronger research is necessary because its a medical matter rather than biological

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Trast posted:

I understand why Conor wants to do this. I'm not sure why the UFC would be on board past a short term gain. Having their bell cow get pointed by a past his prime boxer hurts the brand.

it wont matter at all .. its not like theres a precedent for people to compare it to, except for maybe ali vs inoki and ali came out of it alright

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

david carmichael posted:

How amazing would it be if jase1 gave inri 300 dollars?

Strongly agree

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

how did they used to do it? fight pass seems like the best way to quickly access all of the ufc fights to be honest. though i hope fighters and coaches arent paying for it

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
they should give them free access and listen to their suggestions on how to improve it with stuff like improved rewinding and maybe even an employee specific feature that lets u draw arrows on stuff like in those dan hardy videos. which should benefit everyone and make everyone happy including the ufc probably. they should also release a ps4 app since i want it

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

handsome only face posted:

rememeber that bad shwo that happened that no one wants to talk about ever again especially not me well Holly Holm officially appeals UFC 208 loss due to punches landed after horn — http://www.mmafighting.com/2017/2/1..._source=twitter

good. if nothing else then it sets a precedent

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

tesilential posted:

To be honest I don't see GSP "easily" taking down Wonderboy at this point. Wonderboy will stay way on the outside and I don't think GSP has anything at all for his striking. It'll either go like the Hendricks fight or the Rory fight.

I don't see GSP taking down Woodley nor hurting him on the feet. I see this going like the GSP v Hendricks fight. Woodley won't respect his jab like he did to Rory and should find an opening to hurt Georges.

As far as how GSP will look coming back, I've been watching this sport for nearly 2 decades and NOBODY comes back close or better than they were in their prime*. Even Jon Jones is going to look a lot worse when we finally see him again.

*People are going to bring up the rare exception like Dom or something who despite beating excellent competition after a layoff, didn't look "better than before" IMO. Time closes every gap, even skill/talent. Like unless GSP has totally revamped his game he is going to be one of the most predictable fighters in the octagon. How much tape is out on him at this point?

predicting what someones gonna do and stopping them from doing it are 2 different things. or woodley might never have been champion

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

LobsterMobster posted:

Hendricks says he's 197, so he's got until Saturday morning to hit 186.

I don't believe he is and I don't believe he will.

he needs to get a grip

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Rigel posted:

The UFC announced several updates to the anti-doping policy, effective April 1.

1) If you choose to retire or leave the UFC, then you must be in the testing pool for 6 months when you come back before your first fight. The Brock Lesnar exception for exceptional circumstances or whatever remains, however.

2) If you were cut from the UFC and they decide to bring you back, or if you are being brought on board for the first time, you only need to be in the testing pool for 1 month. There is an exception for last-minute replacements for injured fighters (or to replace fighters who fail a test) where the need for a replacement was not reasonably foreseeable.

3) The "in-competition" window now begins at noon the day before your fight and ends when the post-fight sample is collected. Obviously Nate Diaz influenced this rule change. If a post-fight sample is not collected in a reasonable amount of time, then the in-competition window ends one hour after your post-fight medical check.

4) If you took a banned substance prior to signing with the UFC and do not disclose it, it will count as a failed test if you pop for it even though you were not under contract when you took it. If you DO disclose it, it will not count as a violation since you weren't under the anti-doping policy, but you will then be required to go through 6 months of testing before your first fight and USADA may also require 2 negative tests.

5) Finally, you can appeal a provisional suspension to a single arbitrator. Whether you win or lose that appeal, you still have to go through the current process to contest a failed test result, the only difference is if you won the first arbitration, you get to be not suspended and fight while you are appealing.

i like the last one. they do it in cycling

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

-Atom- posted:

who needs Reddit when you have Skip My Posts around

whats the matter with you?

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

HEY NONG MAN posted:

I'm finally watching The Hurt Business and when Bones is full-on admitting that, yeah, he pokes people in the eyes to win fights... gently caress him so hard. What a loving prick.

*holds up fingers in a gun shape under a reebok fight poncho* pew pew pew. pew pew

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Frog Princess posted:

As a straight-ish man I would rather have sex with Sage than that ugly sister.

they look literally identical so dont be choosy

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

He should fight sage northcutt

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Rigel posted:

Cyborg just got a retroactive TUE from USADA. She's clear to fight.

https://twitter.com/usantidoping/status/832710026489794561

if she has a condition that really does require it then i suppose thats fair. whether or not she was using it to cheat or not is another matter but at least in the future she'll be bound by a tue stating when she can take it and how often as well as doseage

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

CVagts posted:

The retroactive part is what stinks to me. If she didn't have it at the time, they should have docked her for SOMETHING at least.

its ufc policy.. i dont agree with it either but its not like they moved any goalposts

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Dan Didio posted:

:siren: Johny Hendricks Watch, 2017 :siren:

Johny Hendricks has successfully made weight; 185.5lbs.

nice job mr hendricks

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Lid posted:

I am, i'm thinking years ahead not that UFC is on deaths door right now. But you cant argue the signs have been good and that its clear they are taking all the wrong cues from boxing.

its better than ever

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Lid posted:

Holly Holm v Artem Lobov

?

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
Cody Somelove

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
personally im more interested in how fun the cards are to watch than whos on them and cards now are really good compared to all of the old ones ive seen which were full of fat guys and chemical experiments who didnt belong at the top level. fights now are generally a lot more competitive and the fighters are usually eager to compete instead of having to pace themselves at a rate of 3 strikes per round in order to not gas out

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Dan Didio posted:

WME are adopting the 'used to be' strategy, though.

i believe the better fights now are down to stuff like drug testing and better standards of athleticism, and little things like weigh in changes etc.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
i think unless they fundamentally change the way mma fights work then itll stay fun for a long time. i realise they just changed the rules but it seems like the intention is to keep fights exciting and so far theyve been generally good

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

Throw more money at him and keep him as a consultant and have some puppet hold the phone and deal with the idiot child fighters. You literally cannot afford to lose a man with that degree of knowledge to retirement.

no point just relying on him either .. i think the matchmaking is fine anyway

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Rubellavator posted:

I googled Fryklund elbow expecting to see a dude named Fryklund land a reverse elbow.

i suppose he did land it. in the sense that those guys with red and green table tennis paddles used to land planes

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
good card last night .. as mr tumor loving batty said in the thread, coach zahabis brother fought on it. and hes rather good

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

So he could just waste it on cycling PEDs?! I think not.

dont worry .. my bikes already have pedals on them

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Gramps posted:

Sombody hurt Travie's feelies

I do too. just kidding i play videogames and post on line

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
no doubt gsp would show up to the fight in good form but i think conor would win handily .. im sure gsp works hard even when he just trains for fun but he will be rusty from the lack of competition no matter what

edit: and its not like tkz vs bermudez where tkz was rusty but better enough to win anyway. conor is roughly the best fighter right now give or take

I.N.R.I fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 21, 2017

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Tezcatlipoca posted:

He'd probably be on his back for 5 rounds unless GSP is remarkably slower than he used to be.

he will be slower is my point. at least in his first fight back

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Rigel posted:

Joanna Champion will fight Andrade at UFC 211

andrade is very good. i want to see it

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Dangersim posted:

It kinda bothers me that people are for some reason ok with hendo regularly hitting clearly unconscious people as hard as he can.

i dont like to see it but its really on the referee. if he was constantly hitting them after the ref had already stopped the fight then you could blame him but otherwise its like, why leave it to chance. youve seen how referees make mistakes now and again and also where fights should have been stopped but werent, just like browne and lewis. if lewis didnt keep pouring it on then browne could possibly have recovered because of the refs negligence, instead he just got beaten up even more because of the refs negligence

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
Im looking forward to 209. really good main card and paul "bear jew" craig is fighting in the prelims

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Josuke Higashikata posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn9yKYJQpK0

The Inside the Octagon for Wonderboy Woodley 2 is a good watch.

dan hardy and the other presenter should have a real fight

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
that does look cuter than the regular style of turtle

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
sounds like he retired from athletics but kept eating like an athlete

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
is the video of 9 year old khabib wrestling a bear cub going around actually real?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
i think they should sign the bear to the ufc and set up a rematch with khabib now that its an adult

• Locked thread