Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Ban all sport for profit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

I.N.R.I posted:

why? do u think athletes dont know what their occupational hazards are? dont u think they would have at least made 1 or 2 friends or came into contact with a professional health worker at some point in their career that would tell them about it even if they didnt take the time to find out on their own? people die and get crippled working in regular jobs all the time. and frankly beating the poo poo out of eachother for a living is safer and easier on your body than a lot of them. i agree with the sentiment that there should be more done to educate and protect athletes though

Comuniss

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

I.N.R.I posted:

it tends to work like that the other way in this thread as well. although i personally dont mind tim kennedy since his only crime is saying crap online

For some reason I thought his only crime was war crimes, but perhaps I'm misremembering

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

I.N.R.I posted:

i dont like the military either

Oh it's not that he's in the military. Tim bragged about killing women and children a few times. Actual war crimes. Also good excuse to use that norm joke

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
I bet they could display what round it is using technology. Like a jumbotrron, or a computer graphic or like the floppy score things they use in volleyball.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

*JT$

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
The rumours weren't that bisping beating was on the cell tech but rather that he was on epo or similar due to his freakish cardio and dead guy resting heart rate. Then usada came around and he gassed real bad against one or two people who were real bad.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

I.N.R.I posted:

those rumours are fail .. theres nothing freakish about his cardio. its just something he obviously is particular about

His resting heart rate was 34 BPM, which iirc is freakish even among "actual athletes", not just MMA guys

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
I have no opinion on bisping's epo rumours, but his cardio was very good and then he was losing against cung le and lost against Kennedy. And that is funny. To mr

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
I didn't say low heart rate was indicative of PED use, I said it was indicative of freakish heart health. 34 is on the low end even for endurance athletes. Doesn't mean he took epo, but that's what fueled the rumors

I guess perhaps the miscommunication was around freakish. I did not mean freakish in the sense that it is only achievable through chemical means like drug cheat Anderson silva, but rather freakish in that it is only present in a vanishingly small % of people due it's reliance on some cross section of rare genetics and incredible hard work and dedication. Like vitor.

david carmichael fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 9, 2017

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
As a fat guy with brain damage let me be the first to say lol

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Probate more people for increasingly capricious reasons, but only people who disagree with me or post things that I would disagree with

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

Chili is not soup.

This is why we need mods

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

kensei posted:

Someone make a trans athletes in MMA thread and go post about your gender theories there please :angel:

We did that and admins got mad at it

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
I agree that the concept of fairness is fake and also that the science is extremely hard to even formulate into a coherent and meaningful question let alone performing the actual studies. I do think analysis of trans people in mma from both competition and social points of view is more interesting than for instance a Holly Holm fight or a Travis Browne fight or what have you

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
I also think people being nakedly and consistently mean to mobn or anyone without even the pretense of trying to be funny is something that we can do without. It doesn't seem to be funny or fun for anyone involved, so why in the world are we doing it

david carmichael fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 14, 2017

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

I wonder if the UFC is on board. Maybe they will just get 10% of Conor's purse or something. But if they aren't I wonder how long they could hold it up in court. Its unclear how enforceable UFC contracts are w/r/t other sports, especially with how close MMA comes to falling under the Ali act

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Skip My Posts posted:

Conor also has the means to get top level representation in court

Oh for sure. The issue I think is just one of time. I don't doubt that McGregor/nsac/Floyd could make it happen eventually, it's just a question of making it happen before Floyd loses interest. He's been at it for like a year now

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Bubba Smith posted:

what I was wondering is if UFC is involved/on board, would Mayweather vs McGregor PPV benefit from all if UFC helped stack it a little bit? That PPV probably does 2 - 3 million buys on its own, but if UFC were to throw a decent title fight or two on it and maybe Golden Boy puts a good boxing match on it too, it might bolster that number up a bit. I could see it contending with the Floyd vs Pacquaio PPV record with UFC's help.

eh even the most casual of combat sports fans will understand that Mayweather is in a different class from McGregor when it comes to boxing. As long as Conor doesn't get TKO'd, which may happen but probably won't, his reputation won't suffer too much from a 12 round loss.

I don't think the undercard matters. For Floyd /Manny every single Filipino in the US watched it. It's tough to quantify which % of my people the whites would tune in but I bet the number of people who would be swayed by a stipe fight or GGG or something on the undercard would be completely insignificant

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Ok, but can we hold off on saying he's getting old until he looks like he's actually getting old? If anyones going to look good past the time when they should it's gonna be the guy who put a premium on not getting hit for his entire career and did a super good job of it.

He's slowed down a lot. Especially his legs, which were part of what made him exceptional as a young man. Worse fighters have adapted their games and still be successful at 40 though

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

How amazing would it be if he just walk off KOed Floyd, though?

How amazing would it be if jase1 gave inri 300 dollars?

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Rigel posted:

Valerie Letourneau was cut

Good

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

n8r posted:

How do you come up with that number? Was he an investor? Why would an employee be given that large of an ownership share?

Lots of bad business theories itt lately.

He was an executive, and almost always executives are compensated with some equity as part of their regular, and almost never are they not compensated during a buy out. Even like middle managers often get equity/compensation during a buyout even if they aren't being laid off. Assuming he had no savings if he had .01% that's still 400k, which would be sufficient for a basement from which you could call Dave meltzer until you died

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
But yes getting paid in equity or having options for equity matching in your compensation isnt like an insane conspiracy theory or anything

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
I forget which guy it was but someone said a company spinning off a division or subsidiary in an IPO to service debt was a made up fantasy, and its fun to know that there are dudes who are so fully online that they have never read a newspaper or had a single conversation with a dreaded normie

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
To more important matters: in every clip I've seen of Browne and Lewis's final exchange on the feet I haven't actually been able to see Browne get hit with anything. Maybe my eyes are broken but it really looks like he just falls over. I also desperately hope that is what happened

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Yeah it's very clear there. I'm glad he got punched I guess

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

manyak posted:

Remember when some guy here was talking about how Conor is dumb because he doesnt know how to file for a C-69 or whatever and revealed that he thinks of peoples intelligence in terms of whether or not theyre an accountant

The battle between normie and pretend karate expert is eternal

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Dangersim posted:

Diaz spent the entire fight turtling and threatening a knee bar that he never got close too. I haven't seen it in a while but that's what I remember.

There was a brief sequence where Diaz was in turtle. He would barely move and gsp would leap over him to the other side. I feel like this happened a few times, and has exactly why gsp got tuckered out

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
It is rashads fault that sales are bad though

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Overeem should pull guard.

Ayup

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
I only know about Dan kelly from the posts but I hope he destroys Rashad. I also hope Tyron destroys Wonderboy or at least backs up towards the fence to a unanimous decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Skip My Posts posted:

Yeah or takedowns from the clinch or something

He won last time after he caught a sub following a takedown from the clinch, although he wasn't the one landing the takedown

• Locked thread