Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Detroit_Dogg posted:

I helped a friend cut weight for her wedding when she was too big for her dress and her husband got real mad at us when he realized we massively dehydrated her and like half their photos from the day he has a real mean scowl.

wtf. are you the guy selling the sauna suit for weight loss on 2am infomercials

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

kimbo305 posted:

Was it a last minute wedding? How far ahead of time had the dress been tailored?

srsrly, most reputable bridal stores will do one free adjustment week-of. she either didn't try it on until the night before or got really hard into the little debbies.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Intel&Sebastian posted:

She was stepping in for an AKA Bride on a weeks notice

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Tonight at 8PM on TLC: Diego Sanchez's say YES! YES! YES! to the dress

You're on fire today

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I would like Anderson Silva to only fight unranked newish guys until he's ready to retire. Just get some dazzling capoeria knockouts, yell some stuff in his weird high voice, then ride off into the sunset to do Michael Jackson moves with his children in peace.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Triticum Guzzler posted:

I can't speak to the quality of the tattoo, but the only part of it I understand is the belt and the words

It's a pretty low-quality tattoo. The linework on the geometric shapes is uneven, but not in a way that matches the perspective of the tattoo. The lettering overflows in places, and the shading is much too heavy and not coming from any particular light source.

But Cody seems like a quantity over quality guy with his tattoos so I'm sure he's perfectly happy with it.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Apparently the kid with leukemia drew that for him so it's hard to hate it too much, but it's really poorly applied.

I like this one the best:

quote:

zleonard22@cody_nolove what's the black and red thing behind the belt. Dope tattoo. Sorry if it's a dumb question. But what is it ?? Would like to know. Thanks bro #TEAMNOLOVE #CHAMP

Although I can't understand nor contextualize the imagery therein, I can definitively state that this tattoo is dope as hell.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Skip My Posts posted:

you're pathetic dude

you know not every post in this thread needs to be some kind of convoluted meta-joke. why are you so obsessed with me anyway?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

LobsterMobster posted:

Rich Clementi did it better

:same:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Apparently the kid with leukemia drew that for him so it's hard to hate it too much, but it's really poorly applied.

Also totally missed this. Yeah, can't really hate on it since it has a more personal meaning to him. Lots of people get tattoos drawn by their kids and of course you don't expect them to look like a flash drawing. Agree on the application though.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Josuke Higashikata posted:

That would be the crown on the monkey's head that McGregor has.

Just a long line of succession in the LW division. Pettis's My Fam as Perry Bible Fellowship tattoos were also some truly bad champion tattoos.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Is the thing on the right her olympic medal? It kinda looks like a silver dollar.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Brain Curry posted:

I don't remember her walking out with a blind kid.

:drat:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

What are some good MMA analysts to listen to? I enjoyed some Jack Slack stuff but I have no idea if he knows what he's talking about. That Nick Diaz article he wrote was pretty interesting though.

You can't really "listen", but BjjScout does really awesome breakdown videos on YouTube, all subtitles so you don't have to hear an annoying voice.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Bluedeanie posted:

To be fair, it does kind of look like de Randamie is ducking Cyborg when she calls out literally every other fighter in the division.

Does she even *need to* duck Cyborg? I genuinely don't believe Cyborg is ever going to make 145 without either getting of the steroids (which she won't do) or using diuretics (which she'll get popped for). I think she's pissed herself into irrelevancy.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

more like uncle fester

edit, and yeah i know that's not a picture of ian mccall, i just wanted to make a dumb joke. thanks.

The MUMPSorceress fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 14, 2017

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Memento posted:

Yeah there's always the tiniest grain of truth in things that he talks about, but then he runs it through a filter of seventeen tons of industrial-strength weed multiplied by Eddie Bravo and ends up with that poo poo.

Alpha Brain just lets him have insights your mortal brain could never synthesize.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
There is more to the story than you all know but this isn't a town hall about me. Nobody else has been probated for making fun of me.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Captain Log posted:

What the hell?! I've seen pictures, I remember the banner, either I'm having a stroke or both him and his wife share an account now.

The stroke thing is a very distinct possibility so I wouldn't worry too much.

im trans. some people from another site are stalking me because they hate trans people. some of them follow me around here. does that clear things up for you?

in other news, i went searching for pictures of Hendricks standing next to a middleweight earlier to see how bad the size difference was but came up empty. i found like 50 pictures of him eating though.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

LobsterMobster posted:

I felt like throwing this together because I like Nunes

https://streamable.com/db30d

I did notice something kinda cool:

When McMann and Baszler throw half-assed, lovely low kicks that don't have a hope of connecting, and they slowly spin back around, Nunes leaps in with a punch to the loving face. Who are some other folks that pounce on "mistakes" like that? I thought I remembered someone else that did something similar?

This is really cool! Watching her fights edited together like that, I get old school Wanderlei or Shogun vibes off of her. Obviously not the same skill level, but in the relentlessness and the way she just continues to pound on opponents as they go to the ground. She's great.

Captain Log posted:

I'm genuinely sorry for missing that. I'll leave up my posts unless you'd like them taken down. Also sending a PM.

Dude, I don't care :). I'm just trying to avoid offsite drama about me coming into this thread. Making dumb posts at me is fine. We're all brothers and sisters in bad posting here.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
but keven would ban all the computer programmers and there would be no one left to post in this thread. a king of his own wasteland.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

LIKEINEEDTHIS posted:

should trans epople fight in the octagon? in a violent arena with no rules

yes

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

CommonShore posted:

I've thought about this a bit - wouldn't the endocrine oversight be ridiculously complicated? Like, the TRT era combined with 8 other factors?

Nah. WADA and the Olympic Committee are allowing trans athletes now: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/jan/25/ioc-rules-transgender-athletes-can-take-part-in-olympics-without-surgery

The rule is basically that you need to consistently test in the normal hormone range for your gender for a full year before competition in order to compete. Since USADA is the American associate of WADA I would imagine they'd use some variation of those rules if it came up. For a trans woman to compete, the concern seems to be that she'd some how have freakish man strength, but it's pretty well established that testosterone is what enables people to build muscle mass and strength. If it's in the normal female ranges for an extended period of time the athlete shouldn't have any kind of strength advantage.

I think the roadblock to seeing a bunch of trans people fighting in MMA is really just the fact that there's not a lot of trans people into MMA, and perhaps social stigma in some places. I recall one of Fallon Fox's opponents immediately falling back to accusing her of having man strength when she got beat up. And it's not that long ago that we had someone like Big Nog saying he wouldn't roll with a gay fighter.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Well I think the argument was that they do not lose enough of the muscle mass and bone density when they transition, it can take years.

Yeah, this part isn't as well studied, but the IOC was comfortable enough that it didn't effect athletic performance that it's a non-issue. Anecdotally I've lost like 4" off my biceps so far.

Also these arguments also seem to focus specifically on trans women. Do people just have 0 reservations about trans men fighting cis men? Trans men literally get to jack themselves up on an infinite supply of testosterone to transition yet it never seems to come up.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

CommonShore posted:

Yes, but if you read the article there, for a FTM person to qualify, she needs to be within normal ranges for a full year before qualifying, and to even get to normal female ranges actually takes some time on its own.

Just to be clear, an FTM person is a trans man and should be called "he".

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

CommonShore posted:

The FTM was the typo.

Yeah, I realized after I re-parsed your post. No worries!

In my experience, this isn't always true and gender neutral pronouns should probably be used when you're addressing someone who you know is trans but not how they fully identify. S'not like that's hard or intended to cause offence.

Absolutely being gender neutral is an easy way to avoid offense, however if someone is explicitly telling you they identify male or female you're not going to be wrong if you use the pronouns that match that. There's always exceptions of course so if you're the cautious sort I encourage you to do exactly what you say.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

I.N.R.I posted:

true. but i think the supposed argument about muscle memory and bone structure applies the other way too, if anything there should be some concern for people born as women intending to fight men. i dont believe that trans athletes have an unfair performance advantage but i do have a really hard time believing that there arent at least some features of the human body exclusive to birth gender that cant be reversed or fortified by hormones or testosterone. its not really my battle to fight though

yeah. there's definitely questions but i think they mostly exist because nobody's given a gently caress to do any research. now that trans people are coming into the national conversation a bit maybe we'll see some actually studies. even the standard hormone therapy trans people take is based mostly on "well, some doctors gave this poo poo to some folks in the 60s and it worked out ok so this is what we do now". there's very little research into actual optimal treatments and specific effects of the compounds.

otoh, you look at a cis woman like Gabi Garcia and it's pretty clear that some of these extreme body differences are present even in variation amongst cis people. granted her weight would keep her out of any real women's weight class.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Rigel posted:

I don't think we'll have to worry about this anytime soon. Its not like an olympic sport where you can qualify for the trials and if you perform they have no choice but to let you compete, Dana White is going to take one look at the next Fallon Fox and go "oh, hell no". I don't think many B-level promotions will want that headache either.

Yeah. Ultimately I don't think you're going to see trans MMA fighters in the high levels of the sport any time soon both because there's just not many of them, and to get to a point where people are talking about you nationally means you are performing near the top of your sport and there's frankly a lot of barriers in front of most trans people that preclude training to that level.

Although I do want to hear Joe Rogan ramble incoherently for a while about whether it's unfair for a trans woman to wear a cup in the octagon since opponents aren't used to accidentally kicking them and hurting their toes or something.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Joe Rogan would more likely rant about how a trans woman shouldn't be allowed to fight cis women, because that was his opinion on Fallon Fox

I was more thinking of the scenario where a trans woman fighting in the UFC was a done deal and he had to toe the company line.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

CommonShore posted:

Mind though that after the Fallon Fox controversy he had Buck Angel on his show and had a fairly sensible (for Joe Rogan) discussion on the topic, and basically admitted to being an ignorant dummy on the topic, and conceded (for that time) that he had quite a bit to learn.

That sounds about right.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Rigel posted:

Dana said that if they did it, the UFC would want the boxing match to be at the top of a card filled with MMA fights. How would they do that, logistically? Can you quickly replace a cage with a ring, or would they just have to fight in a ring, pride style?

MMA in a ring isn't unheard of, as you note. Also a Floyd fight would probably go down in an arena big enough to just have both set up already.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

willie_dee posted:

If UFC do co promote it I hope they do a piece about how Boxing is not really fighting and how most boxers would get hosed up in MMA when the rules protecting them get taken away.

They could just play James Toney vs Randy Couture on the jumbotron or something during the walkouts. Cut a "redemption for boxing" angle.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Triticum Guzzler posted:

let's be real here, the shittiest split possible for a boxing match against floyd would still eclipse any ufc payday for him

For real. Floyd's estimated income from the Pacquiao fight was 220 million. It grossed over 600 mill:
http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/13181452/floyd-mayweather-make-least-220-million-fight-manny-pacquiao
http://nypost.com/2015/05/12/the-absurd-mayweather-pacquiao-money-numbers-roll-in/

Conor got about 15 million for the Diaz fight:
http://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/nate-diaz/conor-mcgregor-nate-diaz-earn-estimated-15-million-13-million-respectively-ufc-202/

Even if he got 10% of the gross he's still making 4x what he does in the UFC. Even 2% would be on par with what he makes in the UFC. Making this fight happen will get him paid big regardless of the split.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

CommonShore posted:

If this fight happens I will watch it and I will cheer for Conor because that is the most interesting outcome.

Same. Although there really isn't an outcome I've been able to think of that isn't funny. Floyd getting beat by a loudmouth MMA guy is funny. Conor McGregor's potential reaction to losing is funny. If they both suck so bad it takes the shine off them both it's funny.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
if you surgically grafted nate diaz's arms onto conor mcgregor that would be a pretty scary guy. just spooky looking.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Bluedeanie posted:

I think we need to firmly establish universe rules for this fictional fight, is it in DragonBall z rules or is it in MGS 2/4 rules? DBZ definitely favors McGregor/Diaz, I think MGS is much more even.

it will actually be a beyblade fight

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Floyd is a coward and should fight him in the octagon

If we're spinning off into full hypotheticals I want a list of all the fighters Floyd could beat in an MMA fight with 6 months of tdd training.

I nominate Marcus Davis.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Are you teaching him the LeftistMuslimObama Sprawl or no?

obviously. he's really short though so he's really gonna have to jump up high for them to get under his hips.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
i will get very drunk at a buffalo wild wings and watch it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

chaleski posted:

Remember when Shinya Aoki fought that kickboxer under mixed rules in Dream and got hilariously knocked out after acting like a loving idiot in the kickboxing round? They should make Conor vs Floyd a mixed rules match for the most potential hilarity.

That kickboxer was "Jienotsu" Nagashima and everyone should watch that fight:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcGjmRXA0xc

• Locked thread