Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

This podcast episode with Alex Jones and Joe Rogan has started recording, and Eddie Bravo is apparently there too. No way I'm listening to that shitshow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Dana said he had been talking to WME about maybe going to Korea again, and that Zombie's KO win tonight "probably sealed the deal"

edit: He also confirmed that Andrade will get a title shot against Joanna Champion

Rigel fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Feb 5, 2017

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Bubba Smith posted:

WME-IMG hated Goldberg so much that they fired him immediately with no send-off, had no replacement already locked up, and are now probably paying a little more money to have 3 guys do commentary. that's how much they hated Goldberg.

I see nothing objectionable to this statement.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I really enjoy that Jung apparently insisted the UFC refer to him as Zombie on the graphics and in the call. Of course Reebok messed it up.

I think the UFC drew a line and said "OK, Americans are going to have trouble with your name anyway, so we can have fun on TV, but for the "official sport" portion of this show, your name will be on your shorts, Buffer is going to announce your name and the stadium ribbon will have your name when you are being announced." I don't think the UFC is going to allow a HE HATE ME situation.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

WME hired Nick Diaz's lawyer to be the UFC's new general counsel. The UFC's prior top lawyer did very well in the sale and decided to retire.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The ABC just recommended some more changes to the unified rules of MMA which will be voted on in July.

1) Instant Replay. For matches where replay is available, they recommended that the referee (not the promoter or sanctioning body, it can only be called for by the ref) be allowed to go to replay if he suspects that a foul may have ended a match. He can not go to replay for fouls that do not end a match or to see if a fighter tapped. Apparently replay is currently available in Nevada, who knew?

2) Threshold for technical decisions. We currently have a 2/3, 3/5 system where matches are a no contest if fights have to be prematurely stopped before the end of the 2nd round in a 3 round fight or the end of the 3rd round of a 5 round fight. (due to fouls, cuts, or other things that are not a KO or sub) The recommendation is to go to the scorecards if the fight is stopped during the 2nd round of a 3 round fight or the 3rd round of a 5 round fight, and the partial round can also be scored.

Aside from that, the other changes involve rules for how to wrap hands, and they want to clarify that if you lose control of a bodily function, you will lose by TKO.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Might be useful information for WME. If it does, say 100k buys, then they will know that is the amount of buys they can expect from ANY UFC PPV with a title in the main event. Going forward, they can then tell their stars that the first 100k doesn't count for anything, and they get PPV bonuses based on how well they can beat that number.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Looks like Korean Zombie was a draw even with his long absence. It was the highest-rated FS1 fight night in a year, and the 9th-highest rated fight night in FS1 history despite the ratings disadvantage of having the main event end in the first round.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Zzulu posted:

Bisping also roids, Rampage all but confirmed it in an interview a few years ago

everyone roids

USADA was not a thing a few years ago, so anything Rampage said back then is meaningless now. They are not "roiding".

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Everyone made weight except for someone on the fightpass prelim (Justin Willis), who said his body shut down while trying to cut weight and the UFC doctors removed him from the card. I figured interesting, must be a smaller guy or something.... nope, heavyweight. So, he failed to cut to 265, I guess.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I didn't see it, but apparently there was a towel malfunction while Nik Lentz was weighing in. After he made weight, he put his arms up to flex and knocked the towel out of the hands of one of the guys holding it.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/bokamotoESPN/status/830129023179169793

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

http://mmaimports.com/2017/02/sam-alvey-is-one-fight-away-from-breaking-ufc-record/

huh. Sam Alvey is in a 4-way tie for the UFC record for most fights in a year (5: Huerta, Cowboy, Magny). If he fights again by June 18th, that'll be #6 for him.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Rigel posted:

http://mmaimports.com/2017/02/sam-alvey-is-one-fight-away-from-breaking-ufc-record/

huh. Sam Alvey is in a 4-way tie for the UFC record for most fights in a year (5: Huerta, Cowboy, Magny). If he fights again by June 18th, that'll be #6 for him.

https://twitter.com/smilensam/status/830606580638822400

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Choi-Barao appears to have been prematurely announced :smith:

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

lol

https://twitter.com/JacksonWinkMMA/status/830684982410670080

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Hopefully the "mistake" on Barao-Choi was that it was announced too early. The UFC does like to drop a big fight announcement right before tickets go on sale, and they aren't on sale in KC until March.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The UFC hasn't confirmed it, but ESPN is reporting that Jedrzejczyk will fight Andrade in Dallas at UFC 211 on May 13

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The UFC just updated Johnny Hendricks to Middleweight on their list of fighters.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The ESPN guy is covering himself by saying he only reported that the UFC is "targeting" that fight for UFC 211, which he insists is still true.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I don't think we'll have to worry about this anytime soon. Its not like an olympic sport where you can qualify for the trials and if you perform they have no choice but to let you compete, Dana White is going to take one look at the next Fallon Fox and go "oh, hell no". I don't think many B-level promotions will want that headache either.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/bokamotoESPN/status/831559504923799552

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/831560488345563138

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Skip My Posts posted:

Conor also has the means to get top level representation in court

It would probably take at least a year or two to fight it out with the UFC in court including all the appeals by whoever loses. And, at the end of the day, there's a pretty good chance that the court will rule in favor of the UFC.

So, Conor really needs to get the UFC on board if at all possible.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Dana said that if they did it, the UFC would want the boxing match to be at the top of a card filled with MMA fights. How would they do that, logistically? Can you quickly replace a cage with a ring, or would they just have to fight in a ring, pride style?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The Irish Sun (how reliable are they?) is reporting from an anonymous source that Conor and Floyd have agreed on how to split the purse, and the only thing remaining is to get the UFC on board.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Trast posted:

No I know Conor will make all the money even if he gets wrecked. I was asking why the UFC would take the risk of an old man in a dying sport humble their biggest attraction.

Conor has gone rogue on them. They would prefer him to go on a talk show tour promoting his next fight to defend the belt.

At this point they probably want to cash in, make a lot of money with this stupid boxing freakshow and after Conor gets thrashed then maybe he'll agree to defend his belt. If Conor gets, say, ragdolled by Khabib I don't think the UFC would be upset by that. They'll then promote their new champ, schedule fights in Russia if Khabib is the champ, and Conor will be in the position of either following orders or retiring.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Regarding the Ali act, not a lawyer but I've read a few viewpoints on it, and I do not believe it will apply here. I think a judge would ultimately tell Conor he can't box without the UFC's permission while he's under contract.

The Ali Act regulates boxing contracts. You can't lock a boxer up to a promotion for a long multi-fight multi-year exclusive boxing contract. Conor does not have a boxing contract which compels him to box for the UFC, he has an MMA contract that forbids him from boxing at all (and probably kickboxing, wrestling, etc). They can grant a waiver, but a waiver to allow him to box isn't the same as an Ali Act-regulated boxing contract.

It would be like saying an NFL team can't bar their players from boxing. They already forbid them from skydiving or even driving a motorcycle, I think the NFL can also keep their players from boxing.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

If I'm the UFC I'd just say "ok, we want to put together the rest of the card and we want one-third of the gate and PPV. You two figure out how to split the rest."

When the contracts are drawn up, to avoid Ali Act conflicts, just have it say that 1/3 of the the ticket price, PPV costs, etc is for the UFC, and 2/3 are for McGregor/Mayweather, have nothing to do with the main event other than giving Conor his one-time waiver, let the boxers negotiate on the gloves, how the non-UFC promotion is handled, have weigh-ins separate from the UFC, etc

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Trast posted:

It's hilarious to imagine Khabib being worth even a tenth of the business McGregor is. No one outside of hardcore mma fans care about him and he is hurt constantly.

Its not the WWE. The UFC does not have a "make sure Conor is a long-term active champion" option.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Bluedeanie posted:

What if Nate and Conor see the opportunity to come together snd defeat their most dangerous mutual enemy (not having enough money) by performing the fusion dance, could Nator McDiaz defeat Floyd then

In a 2-on-1 match where Floyd has to defend himself against Diaz and McGregor in boxing, I do believe Floyd would get KO'd.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

NAC Commissioner:

“There is a lot of real stuff going on. It still seems like a long shot, but when there is a lot of money involved, people tend to figure it out. There are a lot of cooks in the kitchen, but I’m not sure if we’re going to eat."

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Dana White told TMZ that there is no deal.

So, I guess we can expect him to call a massive press conference tomorrow to announce the date of the match.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/Jason_Floyd/status/831623711551848449

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

big money big clit posted:

If he cared about more money he'd have probably fought in the last year and a half.

His last PPV didn't do as well as he hoped. This one would be an immense pile of money against what should be an easy opponent to get him to 50.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Pretty good article on Silva and no-selling

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2017/2/1...08-gif-analysis

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The UFC announced several updates to the anti-doping policy, effective April 1.

1) If you choose to retire or leave the UFC, then you must be in the testing pool for 6 months when you come back before your first fight. The Brock Lesnar exception for exceptional circumstances or whatever remains, however.

2) If you were cut from the UFC and they decide to bring you back, or if you are being brought on board for the first time, you only need to be in the testing pool for 1 month. There is an exception for last-minute replacements for injured fighters (or to replace fighters who fail a test) where the need for a replacement was not reasonably foreseeable.

3) The "in-competition" window now begins at noon the day before your fight and ends when the post-fight sample is collected. Obviously Nate Diaz influenced this rule change. If a post-fight sample is not collected in a reasonable amount of time, then the in-competition window ends one hour after your post-fight medical check.

4) If you took a banned substance prior to signing with the UFC and do not disclose it, it will count as a failed test if you pop for it even though you were not under contract when you took it. If you DO disclose it, it will not count as a violation since you weren't under the anti-doping policy, but you will then be required to go through 6 months of testing before your first fight and USADA may also require 2 negative tests.

5) Finally, you can appeal a provisional suspension to a single arbitrator. Whether you win or lose that appeal, you still have to go through the current process to contest a failed test result, the only difference is if you won the first arbitration, you get to be not suspended and fight while you are appealing.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Thats actually pretty good, I figured it would be close to 100k. Maybe Silva can bring a card's floor to 200k?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Cyborg just got a retroactive TUE from USADA. She's clear to fight.

https://twitter.com/usantidoping/status/832710026489794561

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

CVagts posted:

The retroactive part is what stinks to me. If she didn't have it at the time, they should have docked her for SOMETHING at least.

There's nothing wrong with letting a TUE be retroactive if its valid. The athlete is taking an enormous risk by not getting cleared first and even if they get the retroactive TUE, its after suspension and probably paying lawyers and doctors to investigate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Valerie Letourneau was cut

• Locked thread