Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

I think it's going to be a great and competitive fight. I gotta go with Cody though. His hands are accurate, fast, and powerful and his wrestling seems good enough to manage the threat of a take down from TJ.

I think the big thing to take away from the Cruz fight is that Cody is a much more intelligent and disciplined fighter than anyone expected. Mostly because he kept knocking people out real fast and there wasn't a lot of footage to look at with him. He game planned the gently caress out of Cruz.

If you can still find and have not seen that BJJ scout post fight video, it's worth a watch to see how Cody knew almost all of Cruz's habits and was always one step ahead of him with his footwork.

Unrelated, but Jorge Masvidal beating the poo poo out of and schooling Donald Cerrone, all while yelling every time he landed anything was cool as hell this past weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Intel&Sebastian posted:

The Korean Zombie being back and fighting Bermudez should fill me with joy but everything that's happened to the UFC and the world in the interim makes me doubt that love and magic are still real.

I agree, but I want to thank you for posting that photoshop of Nick Diaz laying down in the painting scene from Titanic a few pages back. It brightened my day and restored my belief in both love and magic.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Triticum Guzzler posted:

If Conor never fights Aldo again it would be a tragic waste

Same, I hope they can make it happen at 155 someday.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

EmmyOk posted:

I am not sure that is true because some fighters are just the perfect counter to another equally good fighter or they gameplanned and prepared far better.

In the case of Conor vs Aldo, Aldo has all the defensive skills and discipline to make it a great fight.

Conor would have to be the favorite in a rematch at 155 based on the last fight, but I think it would be a really great rematch and is up there with all the great match ups Conor is not currently thinking of booking as he pursues that gigantic Floyd Mayweather payday.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

The other argument is that Aldo got mind gamed by Conor, came out mad and aggressive and got punished for it, and maybe he won't be able to control his emotions and it will happen again

I mean, it's all speculation but I wonder how much of Aldo being the 10 year undefeated champ and getting relentlessly disrespected by a relative upstart in Conor for a year straight factored into that fight, and maybe he can come in calmer and more focused now that the win streak is dead.

In a hypothetical rematch that will probably never happen unless Conor goes on a losing streak that is.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

I don't really care about who has the more impressive resume between Aldo and McGregor, I just wish McGregor would come back and defend his belt rather than chase an extremely stupid, though insanely lucrative, boxing match with Floyd Mayweather.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Aldo vs Holloway happening at UFC 212 in Brazil.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Larkin looked incredible when he beat the poo poo out of Neil Magny, bummed to see him go.

Mizugaki's release is probably bad for his wallet, but good for his health if he can go fight somewhere else and not get matched up against people that are going to instantly KO him.

threeagainstfour fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 11, 2017

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

I'm starting to believe we are witnessing an elaborate piece of performance art from uncle creepy

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Tsyni posted:

What would happen if Conor was losing the fight and decided to just throw a head kick and knock Floyd out. He would be disqualified, but he'd still get paid, right?

Floyd would probably have something in the bout agreement that would result in financial penalties for Conor should he do anything like that.

That said, I can't imagine Conor actually cares about winning or losing so long as he gets a huge pay day out of the match.

It's a really stupid fight and I'd rather see Conor defend his lightweight belt against either Tony or Khabib.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

manyak posted:

Conor vs Floyd is really stupid and i genuinely wouldnt really care to watch it. Most likely i will end up watching it at someones house who duped everyone into pitching in for the $100 PPV but my preferred scenario is I look for an illegal stream at home and its hard to find a good one so instead of watching I jack off to Playboy non-nude edition

I got bad ( or good?) news for you

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/02/14/515164287/playboy-snaps-out-of-its-never-nude-phase

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Speaking of fights that might actually happen, tony and Khabib is right around the corner.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Snowman_McK posted:

True, there's no way the man who became a hermit in Iceland and spent a bajillion dollars on a camp in order to become the 9th man to beat Nate Diaz by decision cares about winning or losing.

I should have specified. I doubt he truly cares about winning or losing this particular, extremely stupid boxing match so long as it happens and he can pocket many millions of dollars.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Has the Black Beast finally rid the UFC of Travis Browne?

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

david carmichael posted:

To more important matters: in every clip I've seen of Browne and Lewis's final exchange on the feet I haven't actually been able to see Browne get hit with anything. Maybe my eyes are broken but it really looks like he just falls over. I also desperately hope that is what happened

https://vid.me/26Sm - Overhead cam shot that shows the punch landing.

Bonus clip of Mario Yamasaki sacrificing Travis Browne to his dark gods.

threeagainstfour fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 20, 2017

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

I didn't really care that he was a bad spastic fighter with a terrible beard. I did dislike him due to the blatant eye poking of anyone having success against him, acting like a bully rear end in a top hat, and intimidating the poo poo out of a journalist who dared to ask him if he had any comment for the people calling the Mitrione win controversial due to said repeated and blatant eye poking.

Was rooting for Derrick Lewis super hard and was thrilled when he turned that fight around in the second.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Would like to see Conor fight the winner of Khabib vs Ferguson before any potential GSP match, but it's unlikely the UFC will force their cash cow to defend a belt so that's a cool fight I suppose.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

By picking a diverse portfolio, you will cause market volatility to pass beneath you.

Every investment he makes is the most dangerous investment of his career.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Dangersim posted:

It's a post conor world. It's becoming more like boxing where it's about big fights, less about belts. The biggest welterweight fight of the year was between 2 lightweights. Like I said I don't really like it either but it is what it is.

I think as of right now this really only applies to Conor and his ability to draw with or without a belt on the line, and consequently have much more pull at the negotiation table with the UFC in regard to who and when he will fight.

He's really the only fighter, this might end up being true for GSP now that he's back, that could headline a PPV event that consists of a fight against a short notice replacement opponent with nothing on the line but pride and have it end up being the second highest selling PPV of all time. Some of those numbers also have to be attributed to Diaz. He's obviously not as big a draw as Conor but the Diaz bros both have large followings and Nate getting the win in the first fight let them set up a rematch that sold just as well.

I think we'll know in a few years time if it's really true that we're past the era of belts being meaningful period, but they still seem important for everyone not named Conor McGregor. Just look at Cody Garbrandt. He was on the rise sure, but once he handily dethroned Cruz and became champ he's become way more popular. He has nearly one million followers on Instagram. 135 itself is a really fun division specifically because you've got an awesome new champ in Cody, two guys that could be champ again in Cruz and TJ, and guys like Almeida, Lineker, and Riviera coming up behind them.

manyak posted:

Haha i forgot about the spy thing

Someone also drugged him.

threeagainstfour fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Feb 22, 2017

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Trast posted:

Joanna going to add another scalp to her belt. It will be a good fight though.

That's a great fight. I'm gonna go with Joanna but I think this might end up being Joanna's most dangerous opponent if she gets sucked into a brawl with Andrade at any point.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

I'll have to rewatch it, but if I think Hill had a good game plan of keeping Andrade on the outside and circling away as Andrade tried to march into the pocket. Hill was just unable to stick to it and ended up in a crazy war with Andrade.

I think Joanna has the footwork, cardio, and skill to actually implement that plan and keep it effective over 5 rounds. That said if she gets pull into the same brawl of a fight as Hill I feel like Andrade could finish her.

threeagainstfour fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 23, 2017

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7MPbVB0Hbg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

SquirrelGrip posted:

i have 0 opinion of the other dude but everyone of these i have seen has been good

They are way better than the insanely awful Robin Black ones where he yells at a hundred miles an hour about the flim flam, the Sapp/Alvarez scale, and the deer in the headlights style of pressure fighting or whatever.

• Locked thread