Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

AlternateAccount posted:

Yep, I think it's been mentioned at that figure a few times.

I think they mean your post says "million"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Subyng posted:

Yeah when the Martian marines were being smug as gently caress I was just thinking "lol good luck invading Earth with your brittle rear end bones" but I guess that's why they have power armour.

Plus earth has like three times their population. Mars has powered armor, but it's possible only their badass marines get it, not necessarily their rank and file troops. Yeah they burn at a G when they can, but that's still not going to stack up to an earther who's spent every second of their life in full gravity. That's not even getting into the agoraphobia that would be cooked into every Martian. Mars could definitely win a space and maybe air battle against earth, but they could wouldn't have a prayer taking and holding a square foot of the surface.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Milky Moor posted:

I'm pretty sure Earth would call their bluff. I think everyone in the world of the Expanse is aware how easy it is to kill civilizations once you reach space flight, and is aware that no government has the sheer insane ruthlessness to do it.

Yeah, the U.S. has had unquestionable air superiority in every recent war, but you still can't really do anything but nearly indiscriminately kill people with it alone. You can level a capital city into dirt, but you're going to mostly kill people who weren't fighting you in the first place, and it makes it harder to get what you want out of everyone who saw you do it. Earth is more useful to Mars as a tense ally or even hostile trade partner than a hosed up hostage state or lifeless rock. To do anything productive with a war, they'd have to land troops, and they'd have 100% casualties if they did that.

Edit: really, earth and mars are at a total stalemate because neither of them could realistically subjugate the other, which presumably the writers put some thought into making a fact

Pharmaskittle fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Feb 5, 2017

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Bates posted:

Well they're basically fighting for control of resources and strategic assets in space right? So the victor would take the spoils even if neither has any interest in wiping out or invading the home turf of the other.

Sure, but none of the non-earth spoils include food and oxygen that can sustain either mars or the belt, let alone both. Mars could probably remain self sufficient if they turned inwards, let the belt die, and focused entirely on life support. That wouldn't be a good plan.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Snowman Crossing posted:

One of the enduring themes from the novels is that Earth and Mars have a respect for each other based on MAD principles, and basically everyone on a gravity-well biome is well-aware of how proper hosed humanity is if a conflict escalates beyond conventional warfare to scorched earth. With the Epstein drives and remote guidance, it's trivially easy to accelerate dense masses to speeds that hit Earth/Luna/Mars/Asteroid bases with enough energy to put the largest nukes to shame. If the TV series continues to follow the narrative thread of the books, this point will be reinforced several times. The Belters are the unpredictable wild card simply because they're super angry and used to scraping a tenuous existence out in the scarcity of the outer planets.

Draper might be my favorite character from a books, and IIRC that was one pretty well-written chapter when she goes down to Earth, chats with a friendly barista, has a kick-rear end coffee, and realizes that Earth isn't populated entirely by schlubs on rascal scooters sucking on the welfare teat.

Yeah, I've read the books, but I'm trying to stick to only show knowledge in this thread since I don't want to spoil anything, even in tags. I want to bullshit about the show and the actual book thread is a lot slower than this one.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

There needs to be a scene with a belter pouring something into a glass expecting the coriolis effect only to spill the drink all over themselves. Or an Earther/Martian who doesn't expect it. :colbert:

The latter would be much more likely since a belter who was familiar with it would know it only happens in certain lovely areas.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

I started thinking about how belters probably can't punch for poo poo, and I can't figure out whether it'd be harder or easier to generate the force for a swing in low gravity, muscle mass aside.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Harder. Swing your arm forward and your torso will recoil, robbing the swing of speed.

So even in low gravity, not zero, it'd still rob you of force? It wouldn't be easier, since you have the same force pushing off the ground with your foot but less resistance? I'm really asking, I don't know physics.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Neat! So barfights on Ceres, for instance, would be less dangerous until weapons got involved. And even then you'd have to grab-n-stab someone prison style to be quite as effective.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Hijacking the Mormon ship to ram the evil station into the sun is also an extremely player party thing to do, and must've been a little disappointing when it just didn't work.

Also,

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

With God's ship all things are possible.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Smiling Jack posted:

I can just see the DM now: "okay so you just rolled a natural 20 on your crazy plan to ram Eros. You know what? Eros moved."

"What?"

"EROS loving MOVED I GOT A WHOLE SCENARIO PLANNED OUT HERE AND YOU FUCKERS ARENT RUINING IT"

Basically this.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

I'm a big fan of the books and don't personally care about ~spoilers~ for myself, but really please quit posting major spoilers here, even with tags. I'm not a regular tviv poster so I don't know the norms, but I imagine they handled it better than this in something like the game of thrones thread. The show is way, way behind the books and you can really gently caress up some people's experience. There's an ok thread in book barn for you to talk about poo poo from later books. It's dumb as hell, everyone who asks "Hey does this happen?" could Google it if they actually wanted to know, and it doesn't serve any purpose but getting your tiny dick hard at the fact that you know something about a fictional setting that someone else doesn't.

Pharmaskittle fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Feb 23, 2017

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

I never joke about tiny dicks

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Miller is real easily the best character in the show so far, which is saying a lot considering Amos and Avasarala.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

VagueRant posted:

Yeah, they said on the podcast that going back to the RPG they wanted a "generation ship" as part of the story, and at the same time they noticed just how many buildings the Mormons had bought up in Salt Lake City. So Mormons worked both for the idea and for the wealth needed.

What podcast is this, now?

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Poor alex has some serious confidence and self worth issues after washing out of the mars military or what ever, or not being good enough to fly the fancy ships.

Alex is probably the most normal crew member since he's not really a fuckup or anything, he just feels like one because he didn't make the cut for the exciting piloting jobs and has some disappointing but totally mundane issues with his personal life. The characters in the books in general are older and less dashing, but we were never gonna get a bunch of paunchy middle aged heroes on-screen, and that's ok.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

seravid posted:

Sure feels like they're making Bobbie extra obnoxious so her inevitable change of heart is more impactful.

I'm hoping it's this. She's definitely a good character in the books, and with how much the writers have been improving on their early book choices, I feel pretty good about her becoming a likeable character on the show as well. They did probably plug her in too early, though. I think introducing her as the only survivor of that attack would've been the better way to go.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Number Ten Cocks posted:

"I got laid off, where's my welfare?"

"LOL, report here tomorrow for your minimum wage assignment to a terraforming labor gang. Do you have a vac suit? Make that less than minimum wage after we deduct your rental fees, then."

Looks like the accent wasn't the only thing they imported from Texas :v:

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Please spoiler this even though honestly if people haven't figured it out from that character's behavior so far they've clearly been looking at their phones during episodes.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Earth is The Gem, mars is the Bella Union

edit: the protomolecule is Hearst

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Maybe no natural beaches. Artificial ones already exist and don't look that different.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

I'd get sick of not having green vegetables, but mushrooms are about the only thing I could completely replace meat with and be ok

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

vermin posted:

Holden reminds me a lot of Seth Bullock from Deadwood. He's single-minded and boring but at the same time you don't know how far he's going to take "doing the right thing" to the point that he's a ticking time-bomb.

Now that he's given up hunting for white walkers I don't know what his motivation's going to be.

I was legit skimming through the last couple pages intending to post a similar comparison because I'm currently rewatching Deadwood. In both, the writers seem to realize that their hero isn't even in the top five most interesting characters. They're both written and acted well, but in Deadwood, they have the advantage of being able to shuffle Bullock to the background because he's not set up as the driver of the plot in any source material. Ironically, despite being in a much larger setting, the Expanse show has to keep Holden more in the mix because he's in close quarters with the more fleshed out crew of the Roci.

Also, I'm glad recent episodes have brought out the Bobbie character I know and love to folks who weren't impressed with her in her early scenes.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

I agree that arm guns are a cool idea that looks very lame in action. It'd be cooler to have them use oversized rifles and maybe have micro missiles that can pop out of their arms or even racks that raise out of their shoulders. Hell, give them a predator shoulder gun.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

I can't tell what those are supposed to be. I feel like they're finger sandwiches from appearance and context, but what kind??

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

Cucumber I think.

Hell yeah those are the good rich people poo poo

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Irl if cucumber sandwiches come out I immediately feel out of place because I'm poor.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

They're not real food but they are wildly refreshing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

They don't just cut the crust off, they fuckin shave down the bread to make it thinner

• Locked thread