Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah you want the longest axis of rotation so you can get gravity at the lowest RPM. So more like spinning a bar-bell than a tube.

I'm surprised there aren't more fancy colonies in the expanse. Where's the big luxurious tubes and wheels?

Or even a big hollowed out asteroid with a nice habitat inside.

I guess with the imperialist earth and mars sucking up 99% of space resources no one has anything to build tubes with, just squatting in mines.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've been crypto-triggered by quantum spoilers. Is it a spoiler if you haven't observed it as such??

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think magnets hosed up the part of my brain that gives a poo poo about spoilers and I'm kinda sad about it :(

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

These martian marines have had no impact on the plot and it's been 3 episodes of cutting to them being all hoorah mindless patriots. I get it, they are brainwashed with jingo and duster pide and want to fight, and their captain is cool and reasonable. I get it, I don't need 3 episodes of cutting to them to remind me. Yep, they're still patriotic marines and want to fight earth, got it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm watching fringe for the first time at the same time as the expanse so it was fun seeing him in there.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Also chad coleman has a recurring role on Always Sunny playing a very very different character. I never put two and two together.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

PriorMarcus posted:

He's kind of terrible as Fred.

I never read the books but the actor himself seems fine to me in the role. Do you think he's bad in general or just not matching the source?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm surprised they don't have some sort of sleep pods or coma-chairs or what ever for long voyages. Hell I wish those things existed for any flight over 4-5 hours.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Fister Roboto posted:

Dee would make a pretty good Belter.

Last page, but holy poo poo yes. She's got the horrible skinny lanky bird-body to do it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Nah those idiots had it coming. Doctors of all people should understand the importance of quarantine and they had already been caught in a lie. gently caress em for being willing to put all of humanity at risk for their lovely citizen-journalist baby ethics.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is that her actual accent or is she doing one for the show?
Alex's accent is still all over the map and great.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

How did she cultivate such an amazing voice? Tons of smoking?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Throwing things into the sun is one of the most "expensive" things to do in space.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Maybe Eros isn't in its current orbit in the expanse, maybe they already moved it somewhere and that somewhere is a bit easier to smash into the moon?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Before I even knew about the expanse me and my friends started running a pen and paper rpg that I based largely on pouring over that drat Project Rho site. So much of our game has had pretty direct parallels to the expanse, whole scenes and plot points, it's crazy sometimes and then I get embarrassed that it looks like I just ripped something off from books I haven't read.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Fister Roboto posted:

Miller shooting Dresden in the face definitely makes sense as something an RPG gamer would do. I can almost hear the DM quietly weeping into his hands as he scraps a huge pile of exposition and plot hooks.

I've been extra enjoying the show watching it all with stuff like this in mind.
I can also see the heated argument the players had after. "Why the gently caress did you shoot him your character is a misanthropic rear end in a top hat but he wouldn't do that!" "Nah I had to shoot him it's what my character would do" "gently caress you man! I.. I totally shoot your character then" "nah your goody two shoes guy would never do that" "gently caress you're right, well we're kicking your guy out of the party!!" then everyone cools down and they decide to let his character re-join the party because the player was going to go do his own side story and the GM was all "I'm not running another side story, I finally got you all together, can you sort this poo poo out and dude maybe don't just murder important plot NPC's so much for the sake of the game?"

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yo mamma so fat Tycho Manufacturing made it's name spinning her up.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Tomorrow? Tonight? Some time. I feel like I'm in the fuckin' slow zone.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Expanse and always sunny get very similar viewing numbers. Sunny is famous for being one of the cheapest per-episode shows on TV today.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

How the hell miller getting out of this.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is miller actually gone now?? I thought he had more.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I was reading the whole kiss at the end was just the actors going improvin' the scene because it felt natural, wasn't in the script at all.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

With the sea level rise in the shots of NY, florida would absolutely be totally under water.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm glad they ditched the zombies I'm sick of that poo poo and having scenes of them shooting their way through cyber zombies would have made the show feel not classy at all.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I want everyone to settle down and work together and overthrow capitalism and live a life of peace and luxury harvesting the limitless resources of space.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I looked up that Blindsight book and it all sounded good but for seemingly no reason at all apparently vampires are real and someone on the mission is a vampire and at the end there's some sort of vampire war. What the hell. Some dude just had to jam vampires into his scify?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I want to give money to the people who make the expanse but the TV industry is flaming garbage and I can't figure it out without buying physical media disks I don't really want. Space.ca just has all the episodes for free on the website. God I wish TV shows were like buying a PC game, you just load up steam, buy the game, and the creators get most of the cut.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've never quite understood Protogen's endgame. They didn't seem to know anything about the protomolecule or what it does, just that it's alien an extremely powerful. Their plan was like "secure protomolecule, unleash it on a large contained population, start a war that would most likely cost billions of lives and set humanity back, ??????, golden age of humanity with us as the leaders"

I have no idea what that missing step is and they didn't seem to either but just assumed that clearly once they let it do its thing they'd somehow be the new gods of the solar system. What made them think this other than "mad scientists playing god!!!" trope?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Poor alex has some serious confidence and self worth issues after washing out of the mars military or what ever, or not being good enough to fly the fancy ships.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I got really pumped by her threatening rant about the parasites in the private sector and how corporations need to know their loving place and government has the ultimate power. God I wish more politicians and civil servants had that sense of duty and actual loyalty to their office, not just as a stepping stone for a cushy private sector job when they retire from public service.

Also why are ships blowing up a bunch of soy bean farms?? Was shouting "NO MY BEANS!!!" every time one of those big farms got destroyed. Is it all protogen once again trying to start a war and spooping the UN and Mars ?

I found the whole scenes really confusing, fast cuts and just lots of bullets arcing through space but everything was such short cuts I could never see what was going on or appreciate the situation.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The shaking ship and people getting thrown from their seats as their computers sparked was really bad. If people getting thrown from their seats is a problem they should be strapped the gently caress in.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I don't quite understand a few things about the shipyard.

Fred Johnson acts like he personally owns the entire shipyard and Tyco corporation, like its his sole-ownership company. He's just some ex-military guy and I imagined he was just the top manager of the shipyard, an employee not a hyper-wealthy capitalist. How was he not instantly fired/arrested ? Has the whole station rebelled from its parent company? Who's his boss? If he's just torn up and stolen the biggest contract they ever got how is he staying in business? How haven't all his investors pulled out? There seems to be very little fallout from his actions other than some throw-away line about a lawsuit.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The UN is so stupid that aliens could show up at the edge of the solar system with impossible technology and they'd shout "It's clearly a martian trick launch the nukes!!!" because the entire UN military and political brass are cartoonishly stupid, paranoid, and itching for a fight.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

counterfeitsaint posted:

To be fair, their enemy soldiers work themselves up with chants like "Who's going to drink [Earth's] rivers dry and crush their mountains (and rear end) to dust?" so.

I was kind of annoyed that sciency guy was able to deduce what actually happened on Eros with the tiny amount of data he has. Bio spill then the asteroid ignores all physics? It must have been an alien virus taking over the whole thing, yep. It felt like his character just read the script.

Don't they have like cameras and a feed showing that the people are turning into a huge bio-organic horror?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

In reality stuff like nukes going missing could never happen. They'd be exactly where they'd be expected on their last known course, and if they tried to adjust that course there'd be a burn visible anywhere in the system. Earth, mars, the belt, they'd all have a huge array of telescopes and sensors that provided near 100% tracking of every ship or possibly dangerous object in the solar system.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

NmareBfly posted:

Remember though that the nukes are called first strike weapons that are designed to get past planetary defenses -- they're presumably stealthed up to some extent. Stealth ships were a big deal but smaller scale hard-to-track stuff probably exists.

Yeah that's the biggest impossible fantasy in the series though, way way beyond their magic drives, there's no stealth in space.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The ships should just be armoured tubes with huge radiators like in children of dead earth with glowing armour from where they got hit.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I was looking up expanse cast and characters since I'm bad with names and found out that lady who's always with Johnson is "Col. Johnson's Second in Command". Does she even have a name??

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Snowman Crossing posted:

I've been calling her Sexy McWeirdaccent

She certainly has a weird accent. She seems super military and official for OPA too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I thought she was hearing impaired when I first heard it, but I don't think that's actually the case. Plus they probably would have cured that by future times.

That's what I thought too. She sounds like a belter doing a deaf chinese person impression.

• Locked thread