Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

Pharmaskittle posted:

Yeah, the U.S. has had unquestionable air superiority in every recent war, but you still can't really do anything but nearly indiscriminately kill people with it alone. You can level a capital city into dirt, but you're going to mostly kill people who weren't fighting you in the first place, and it makes it harder to get what you want out of everyone who saw you do it. Earth is more useful to Mars as a tense ally or even hostile trade partner than a hosed up hostage state or lifeless rock. To do anything productive with a war, they'd have to land troops, and they'd have 100% casualties if they did that.

Edit: really, earth and mars are at a total stalemate because neither of them could realistically subjugate the other, which presumably the writers put some thought into making a fact

One of the enduring themes from the novels is that Earth and Mars have a respect for each other based on MAD principles, and basically everyone on a gravity-well biome is well-aware of how proper hosed humanity is if a conflict escalates beyond conventional warfare to scorched earth. With the Epstein drives and remote guidance, it's trivially easy to accelerate dense masses to speeds that hit Earth/Luna/Mars/Asteroid bases with enough energy to put the largest nukes to shame. If the TV series continues to follow the narrative thread of the books, this point will be reinforced several times. The Belters are the unpredictable wild card simply because they're super angry and used to scraping a tenuous existence out in the scarcity of the outer planets.

tooterfish posted:

Yeah, well...

Minor spoiler, but I just can't pass up the chance to be sarcastic here:
A certain Martian marine gets a shitload less hawkish once she gets a tour of the homeworld, and realises Mother Earth has no problems crushing her right the gently caress back.

Draper might be my favorite character from a books, and IIRC that was one pretty well-written chapter when she goes down to Earth, chats with a friendly barista, has a kick-rear end coffee, and realizes that Earth isn't populated entirely by schlubs on rascal scooters sucking on the welfare teat.

Snowman Crossing fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Feb 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

tooterfish posted:

I still give the series a 9/10 for trying this poo poo when no one else would even bother. I fell in love with it when Miller poured his whiskey in the brothel in season 1, and the Coriolis effect caused it to spiral sideways into the glass. That's attention to detail.

Yep. That loving ruled as a nod to us nerdlords, especially because they didn't explain it at all

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

The writers were well aware that the Nauvoo should have zipped past Eros like a lightning, but dramatic effect and all...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7KIFD62duA

Yeah, when I was watching the episode I immediately forgave them for that. Same deal with the Epstein drive exhaust plumes, which according to the books are so bright and long that they completely dwarf the vessel creating it. That wouldn't be as neat looking on screen as spaceships zooming around with a more understated flare from the engine.

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

OB_Juan posted:

And with no apparent effect on people on Eros.

Yes, very much in keeping with the books. This is the point where those in the loop about the Protomolecule take a collective gasp and come to terms with the fact that whatever the protomolecule is, it is so far beyond the understanding of humans that it can disregard Newtonian physics. It was extremely well presented in the episode, and hope they have more grave reactions in the start of the next episode.

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

The Protogen stealth ships have axial mounted rail guns, which were the deciding factor in how the Donnager gets hosed up. PDCs are useless against hard rounds. Once they got past the initial torpedo volley that was how they ruined the Donnager's day. The Martian command would have had no idea what the bogeys were armed with.

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

I cannot believe how much Wes Chatham is dominating the role of Amos. They were like "here, you play the one-dimensional heavy from the books" and then he just goes and becomes one of the marquee performers on the show. Part of it is the writing; too, but his delivery has been great. There are a legion of actors that would have just phoned in a strong-but-silent type performance, but he's really selling Amos as a character with emotional complexity, just wired differently than other people.

Get that dude some more work, Hollywood.

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

ATP_Power posted:

Just going to post this here before people get too deep into any "stealth in space" discussions.: http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/spacewardetect.php

the TLDR: Stealth in space doesn't work, and there are a few tricks you can do that could help with short term concealment or distraction tactics. However in a setting like the Expanse, the notion of hiding ship or missile trajectories/locations over long periods of times would be impossible if it was trying to be as scientifically accurate as it could be (something that the authors of the books have said was not their goal with the series.)

He's forgetting that you can bombard the outer hull in handwavium particles.

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

I've been calling her Sexy McWeirdaccent

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

Bobbie has some nice tits, hoping she puts them to work in the next few episodes since she won't need to be in a vacuum suit.

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

Number Ten Cocks posted:

In the books the UN Secretary General motorboats them.

I've come to find, Miss Draper, that rank has its privileges. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

Can't we have an episode in first person with Amos in a suit of power armor just purifying an entire station of everyone who hasn't shared a lasagna dinner with him?

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

Zzulu posted:

Those power armors need jetpacks, i feel

disturbing lack of jetpacking power armored soldiers with minigun-arms

Why bother when the future holds protomolecule suits as a chitinous exoskeleton that can sustain you in hard vacuum and ejaculate plasma bursts at 3000 m/s from an auto-tracking phallus?

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

Naomi is really starting to grind my gears. She's operating at like 33% Skylar and rising with every episode. Thank god Bobbie and Avasalara still own.

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Look I realise I'm late to this, but if there's one actor that looks like Aaron Douglas it's the guy who played Frank Sabotka in The Wire.

Same mannerisms, too. I want Amos to call somebody a shitbird.

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

The show is doing a good job of minimizing the Primary Concern, just like the books. There are compelling story lines with political intrigue and character drama. People live and die and do everything with such urgency that they barely have time to consider that there is a two-billion-year-old molecule developed by an alien race so advanced that they had transcended everything we understand about physics, and it is running some sort of program on a planet in our solar system.

That's why the Arborghast scene is important. It filled the same purpose in the book- to make everybody pause for a moment and realize how insignificant these little parochial disputes could end up being. Even the Protomolecule monster, for all it's fearsome capabilities, is still a crude re-purposing of a technology that the Protogen scientists barely understand, like using a notebook computer as a hammer.

It reaches out.

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

I'm slogging through the first episode of The 100 it's like if Seveneves was written by Stephanie Meyer :negative:

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

Avasalara doesn't ask people to "please do the needful" enough to pass.

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

Toast Museum posted:

Holden, broadcasting instead of replying with tightbeam: Hi Donnager, we'd love to be your well-treated guests.

Sure buddy, you'll be safe here. We can protect you from anything short of high-speed tungsten slugs. :buddy:

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

Power armor Bobbie would have been more impressive of she had simply walked into the room and struck the crew with sick haymakers, folding them up and sending them ragdoll into the nearest bulkhead. Tossing people through the air is an overused wire effect that always looks hokey to me.

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

Since that one dude who played Asher from Spartacus is in the show I'd be okay with a book named Jupiter's Cock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

Idris Elba would have played a better Bobbie Draper

• Locked thread