Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

gohmak posted:

Y'don't undastan' nuteen'. Me crush rear end to dust!

This still should be the new thread title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I love people who's priorities are such that they cannot spare 90 seconds to watch a scene they don't like in a show they presumably do like, but they can take time out to inform the internet of their decision.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Is there a new episode this week? I'm sure I saw in this thread there was a two week break, but my "dvr" says there's a new episode this week.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

AlternateAccount posted:

And yeah, this is midseason break. Two weeks to wait :[

Cause the OP said so. Did he abuse his position of trust? Are these claims of a new episode tomorrow just alternative facts?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I didn't get the "Is this your way of apologizing?" comment.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Ohh, that makes sense, in a very Amos sort of way.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
There was a really brief shot of his hand and it looked like blood was pooling on one side of his pinkie for a minute, but it was really quick and he might have just been bleeding or something. But I think showing blood pooling would be a good, and also really terrible, way to show long exposure to a constant 4G.

I heard the mormons were suing, but has the show said anything about what happened to the Navoo? If the largest construction project the human race has ever built was a total loss that would be loving depressing.

E: And yeah, the Star Trek bridge thing was really terrible. Maybe they were trying to show that they were caught off guard and not suited up and strapped in? I guess the ship continued to accelerate at a steady rate while in combat?

counterfeitsaint fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 2, 2017

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Platystemon posted:

Most of Tycho’s assets are at the station itself. Tycho is the East India Company and Johnson is the Governor‐General of India.

Belters and Earthers probably actively appreciate what he did with the Nauvoo, but even if they don’t, there are only so many shipyards in the outer planets and Tycho is the best. Fred Johnson isn’t going to commandeer your frigate.

Tycho is possibly the only civilian shipyard that can handle a project the size of the Nauvoo anyway.

That's probably the best analogy. In Johnson's first scene, the mormon dude says they don't like someone with his reputation running the project, and he explains that he has the loyalty of everyone on the station and is basically the space mob and that poo poo will not get finished without his say so, even though 'officially' he's just an employee for an earth company who could be replaced if necessary. Also in S1 there was an Earth ship that was burning towards Tycho station really fast to deal with him, and they were two weeks away, I assume the company would take weeks to get a representative out there, and even longer to get the muscle out there needed to actually relieve him of command, so he's got a little time.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Baronjutter posted:

The UN is so stupid that aliens could show up at the edge of the solar system with impossible technology and they'd shout "It's clearly a martian trick launch the nukes!!!" because the entire UN military and political brass are cartoonishly stupid, paranoid, and itching for a fight.

To be fair, their enemy soldiers work themselves up with chants like "Who's going to drink [Earth's] rivers dry and crush their mountains (and rear end) to dust?" so.

I was kind of annoyed that sciency guy was able to deduce what actually happened on Eros with the tiny amount of data he has. Bio spill then the asteroid ignores all physics? It must have been an alien virus taking over the whole thing, yep. It felt like his character just read the script.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
So super physics nerds, is it possible to extrapolate how far his ship has gone now, 137 years later? I'm guessing he's probably passed several other star systems by now.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Keeping things Newtonian, an acceleration of 10g would hit light speed in 38 days, after 137 years he'd be at over 1000C.

Which is impossible in I think three different ways. Probably more.

He wasn't accelerating forever. In the show it shows his fuel at just under 90% at some point, I don't know if it says how long he had been going at that point, but if you could figure out how long he burned at what rate I'd think it would be possible. I know 0.05C was thrown around, for 137 years that would put him at nearly 7 light years away.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Maybe it's just chilly on stealth ships and they all have to wear heavy coats to compensate :v:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
It seems to me like the moon is shown as being absolutely massive almost all the time in media, so I don't see why Ganymede would be any different than earth in this case!

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Combat Pretzel posted:

The size of moons and planets depends on the focal length used in the camera or simulated in CGI. Arguing that it's physically implausible is not entirely correct.

That said, they've already said before, that for certain things, they'll lend themselves some artistic license. The Nauvoo flyby for example.

The Nauvoo flyby doesn't really count, because that's an example of space being bent and moved in a way that we don't understand or can describe with our current understanding of physics, of course it's gonna look a little strange.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
You're right that visually it shouldn't have appeared to pass way faster, but what I'm saying is that during the scene, your point of reference is Miller standing on Eros. Your point of reference is not following the laws of physics, moving without accelerating, so who knows what it would actually look like from there.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Phobophilia posted:

Havelock (Miller's rookie) was pretty important for connecting the dots between Ceres and Protogen.

Though when watching S1 the first time, I got convinced that Havelock was an agent of the conspiracy, because one of the mercs who attacked the Donnager seemed to have a biological modification to seal off injuries, and this was paired with Havelock waking up after being speared through the chest.

That only reseals the suit though, doesn't do much for the wound inside the suit, at least that's what it looked like to me.

counterfeitsaint fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 7, 2017

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

gohmak posted:

Havlock and Millar at te aqua

Diogo at Ceres, when the rear end was smashed to dust.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Platystemon posted:

For the book thread, I calculated how good “a good scope” would have to be. If you had a perfect detector the diameter of the Moon, it would catch one photon from the ship every few months.

Maybe they have really good scopes?

Assuming he did all of his acceleration in the first month or two, and has spent the 130+ years since then going at the same rate, that's several light years away. If it was possible to see something as small as a ship that far away, then they could easily make out and map the planets on Tau Ceti, and probably several other systems, and the mormons wouldn't have to wonder at all what's going to be there.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
A small probe designed to withstand a ton of Gs could accelerate way faster than Epstien did. It's really a question of just how efficient the fuel is and how much you'd need to take. What seems weird to me is that we're on the verge of getting atmospheric data on nearby exoplanets now, in 200 years you'd think we'd know a lot more about nearby stars, even without sending probes.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Man that accent really is the best.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

VagueRant posted:

Things:
- Am I the only one who kinda hates Dawes? I'm sure Jared Harris is a great actor despite looking so much like Charlie Brooker - but he has the worst Belter accent in the show to me. I dunno, if it's the fact I can hear his real accent slipping through, or just that it sounds inconsistent and mumbly, but it really grates and distracts my brain.

- I hope Naomi gets her priorities straight, and that new fan favourite Drummer does not betray Fred Johnson while he is being reasonable. (Did she lock down the systems, do we think?)

I love Dawes and his pseudo Cajin accent.

It's kinda weird to me that Naomi hates Fred Johnson so much that she preferred floating aimlessly out in space rather than go to his station last season because of his OPA ties, but this episode she's glad that Dawes is running Ceres just because he's a belter, even though he's deeper into the OPA than anybody.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Barreft posted:

There's no way Venus isn't currently being colonized by the Proto-thing. I'm most excited to see the exploration force on the planet they talked about a few episodes ago.

And no I haven't read the books, maybe it's just because I'm a veteran of early GOT threads and have PTSD from posters bitching about spoilers, but no I'm not saying any spoilers, there's just no way Eros ended there. That thing is going to explode and send blue particles everywhere.

As a non book reader (for now, I'll probably read them after this season) I totally agree with you. However, I've gone out of my way not to mention it, because I have no doubt some asshat will come into the thread and post like an entire chapter from one of the later books behind a spoilers tag in response, which has happened several times already in this thread.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
It would make sense power armor requires some sort of training, and probably custom fitting as well. The fact that a gunship just has spare suits in the first place is kinda weird. Chekovs power armor maybe?

Dawes is a compelling dude, but he was still happy to murder Miller is cold blood for digging too much into Julie's situation, so still a bad guy.

enraged_camel posted:

If your ship can fire a precision shot at another ship tens of thousands of miles away and disable its engines without destroying the ship itself, then it also probably has advanced sensors that can tell you whether it is safe to open an airlock to it.

A few kilometers more like. Not 1,000s of miles away.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Varam posted:

He left Julie to die as soon as she was no longer useful to him, then tried to murder Miller because the truth about the Scopuli would have been personally damaging to him. His responsibility is to himself and his concept of community extends only to whoever useful to him. He's not a good guy.

Seriously this. Everyone's ignoring the trail of bodies behind this guy.

Good villains are the ones that have a lot of good points and are sympathetic. The problem with good villains is half the audience ends up mistaking them for good guys. See: DS9

counterfeitsaint fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Mar 10, 2017

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Surely you're not implying that sometimes stereotypes are based on reality and not made up entirely of whole cloth? Problematic.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

ATP_Power posted:

I think it's fascinating in a way that show Miller, who is far more of a degenerate scumbag than book Miller is so much more favorably recieved from the word go than Bobbie at introduction. Remember when Miller was gonna space the guy who hosed with the air filters, then he ended up saving his life when he promised a tripling of his bribe? Show Miller wasn't just called a welwalla just because he worked for Star Helix, show Miller actually was one. The Belter credo is "enviromental systems are everything" and Miller threw that away for a tripling of his bribe, to say nothing of his self destructive drinking, his personal mistreatment of Muss, and his abuse of prisoners. poo poo Miller even uses Earther slurs like "longbones" for Belters with more extreme low gee influenced physiology.

Bobbie is at least 2nd generation Martian military, has spent her entire life living and breathing Martian propaganda, spent her entire career training for a moment that everyone tells her shouldn't ever come - can't ever come, probably hasn't even met someone who identifies as an Earther. Then suddenly Earth loving nukes a moon of Mars out of existence and is trying to pin blame for everything crazy happening in the system on Mars. Is it too surprising that she's gungho about taking the fight to the state that has been the historical oppressor of Mars, and whose civilians have been dehumanized in the eyes of Martians? As hamfisted as they were, those scenes with the Earther immigrant squad mate are trying to make a point about the how the physical differences between Earthers and Martians that the show can't do visually impact how the different peoples view each other. Bobby's a patriot and a soldier who wants to do what she's been told is her job, her perspective is very narrow, but it's going to broaden very quickly.

I'm very hopeful for where they're going to take her character in coming episodes, generally speaking the show has taken the book characters and presented them as far less "likable" at first so you can see how they grow as they're exposed to more of the world outside of the little slice they've lived in their whole lives before the show started.

WTF are you talking about with Miller? He went home and looked around at the various belter kids around him, felt guilty about the air filters, went and found the guy and drug him into an airlock to asphyxiate him for a few seconds, and told him to clean the drat filters from now on. There was no mention of tripling a bribe. Why would he say "Breathing air is nice huh?" and then suck out all the dudes air and wait for several seconds if his plan was to just space him?

Do you think Bobbies little chant about how she wants to physically destroy the earth was just made up in response to recent events, or was it more of a common thing for martian marines to say? Most of the Bobbie hate came from before Ganymede, but I think the worst thing she's done so far is, when she clearly can't remember what happened, she immediately defaults to 'earthers musta done it, WAR TIEM'.

Since smugass book readers can't shut the gently caress up, it's obvious by now that Bobbie will have some kind of redemption arc and become a better character, and that's great to look forward to I guess. For now however, she's an angry warmongering jerk. Not literally hitler, but she doesn't come close to the charisma or likability Miller had.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The scene still started with Miller saying "Being able to breath is nice isn't it?" then took the dude's air away, the same thing he forced others to go through. The only other line he had was "Clean the drat filters." I think the guy was just babbling and saying whatever to stay alive, and Miller never acknowledge his offers. If all Miller wanted was an increased bribe, than the entire previous scene was pointless.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
When was earth pulling out of Ceres discussed? Is that a book thing, or did I just miss it? There were riots and Mars and the belters were pissed at each other, then Miller got fired and hosed off. Dawes was the de facto leader from the beginning, but I don't recall earth actually pulling out and Dawes officially taking over.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Dawes is a lot less racist against Earthers in the belt than Castro was to blacks in Cuba and there's no reason to think Dawes is homophobic at all (or does the protomolecule = HIV?) so the comparison doesn't seem terribly apt, but you like the sort of political violence against minorities that you like, I guess.

If you're going to be like that about it then there's no point trying to make a comparison to anyone at any point in history ever, except maybe the last 15 years.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Bit of a tangent, but I really dislike this idea in history. It basically acts as a whitewash and erases the stories of people at the time who did actually resist problematic hegemonic thoughts in favour of preserving the image of certain figures.

I don't even know what you're trying to say here.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
It's good to know that posters in this thread are morally superior to every freedom fighter, activist, revolutionary, in fact every single person throughout all of human history.

I can't wait until the new 20 dollar comes out so I can point to it and loudly proclaim that Harriet Tubman was actually a literal piece of poo poo because she didn't stop what she was doing to fight for trans bathroom rights.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Platystemon posted:

Hmm, you would have a point if anyone in this topic had compared the OPA to an organisation that didn’t kill hundreds of innocent people.

It has nothing to do with OPA. People in this thread are unironically arguing that you shouldn't respect or care about historical figures due to their lack of a 2017 set of values.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

tooterfish posted:

Uh, Miller didn't get friendzoned.

He wore her down with negs like "YOU'RE AN ASTEROID NOW".

Playa.

Miller will actually be the 4th actor to play Daaaaaario Naharis.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Platystemon posted:

The dragon has three heads: Drummer, Diogo, and Prax.

But no asses. I think we all know what happened to them.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

And they knock out the control room by turning up the CO2 scrubbers, which makes me so very happy. Attention to detail all over this place.

Yeah, how exactly did that work?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I kinda dismissed it at Fred Johnson slowly self destructing. I seriously thought he'd just die during the coup, but in the long run I doubt it matters what his attitude is anymore. Mormons don't forget. Mormons don't forgive. (not a book reader)

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
It's really awkward because the doors open, and you can see her hair and clothes billowing as the air obviously rushes past her and out of the door. Then after several seconds of forlorn looking at each other and gasping for air in a room that is already a vacuum, they all suddenly fly out for reasons.

The scene was exaggerated for emotional impact, which I can forgive. Even if the impact probably wasn't quite as much as they wanted it to be.

In the past airlocks have been cycled, but I think when you're trying to surprise murder a bunch of people you skip that step and just lose the air, plus the force should blow them out, it wasn't the belter's fault physics was a bit slow this week.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The main engines fire, but that isn't until they're out of the room, and that would just make them fall on the floor of the room anyways. It's possible some thrusters fired before that that I missed though.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

A good poster posted:

Rather than any physics nitpicking, I'm wondering how that random-rear end Belter crewman managed to recognize Prax was born on Ganymede and not Earth or Mars. Maybe he's described differently in the books, but Prax looked like just another well-groomed Inner to me. Was the Belter guy supposed to have overheard his conversation with the woman in the cargo hold?

I get the impression that the physical difference between belters and inners is much more pronounced than they appear to us, it's just hard to get a bunch of 7 foot spindly skeleton actors to play the belters. Just imagine all the belters look more like that guy from the pilot who was on hooks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Phi230 posted:

Nah Earth is an overpopulated, post-climate change slum with a few nice areas left.

Baltimore is described as being like the undercity of a cyberpunk dystopia

We're talking about the Expanse, a fictional TV show, not reality.

• Locked thread