Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

DentArthurDent posted:

I'm sad to see that the AV Club seems to have dropped coverage of The Expanse for its second season (unless they are really late posting about it). Whoever reviewed the first season didn't really seem to get the series all that much, its a shame they could not find anyone else. It also did not even rate an honourable mention in their 2016 Best of TV lists.

It's ridiculous that they can't bother to cover what is arguably one of the best sci-fi series on TV right now, while continuing to cover crap like "Legends of Tomorrow". (Actually, I have never seen a single second of Legends of Tomorrow, it might be great, but how many superhero shows do we need?)

Captain Sara Lance, Time Lesbian and The Idiots of Tomorrow is amazing I will not have you speak ill of it :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Terry Chen is sooo not how I pictured Prax, wow.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Me either but I'm okay with it.

Same

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Two thoughts: God drat this show is stunning. Seriously top notch, I could see this stuff holding up for decades to come.

2nd thought: Should have packed all the Mormons on it first, then launched it into Eros.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Mental Hospitality posted:

I didn't even notice the engines of the Nauvoo causing the scaffolding to glow bright red and break apart when I watched this last night. What a nice little detail.

From where I'm standing the CGI from this show has overtaken BSG both in terms of quality in the here and now, and a decade from now.

MA-Horus posted:

The delivery on the last two lines were fantastic. You can tell that these guys are accustomed to spaceflight and the laws of physics and they literally can't comprehend what the gently caress just happened.

This show is great. One of my best friends is a set carpenter and spent an absolute ton of time working on the sets for S2. As a present to the crew, they got duffel bags with all the ship patches on them.

You should get your friend to post some pictures and stories if he can, I always love hearing the inside take on shows like this. Hell, he got to work on the sets. Some of the best I've ever seen, right up there with Black Sails.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Right around here was the time that both Einstein and Newton clawed their way out of their graves and went "WHAT THE poo poo?!"

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

That was a drat good episode of space television

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Evernoob posted:

Well Syfy also renewed 12 Monkeys for a 3rd season, while most fans thought it was to be cancelled for sure.
The thing was that in the last few episodes of season 2 the quality rose sky high, so some SyFy exec must have defended the show fiercely to renew it.

I've hated Syfy for almost a decade (After Firefly and SG:U cancellations), but they're slowly winning back my favor.

I'm thrilled 12 Monkeys got a 3rd season I seriously figured it was done, as well as KillJoys. The death of SGU was a tragedy especially since it started to really shine towards the end but I think it got hosed by being guaranteed 40 episodes out of the gate. They didn't seem to feel too much need to hurry and we ended up with a ton of S1 garbage. Firefly however was Fox, SyFy is NBCUNI.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Tiggum posted:

I guessed that that was happening, but I couldn't see it.

Yeah, that narration was really weird and confusing. What's it supposed to be? He obviously couldn't have said it, and even if he had no one would have heard. It also gave those scenes a really weird tone, more adventure than tragedy.

Yeah, I didn't know until I read in this thread that it was actually an Earth ship (ships?) fighting the Mars one(s). Also had no idea what the mirror(s) were.

Didn't see that either.

I believe in the books there a line about how you can still grab a telescope and see Epstein sailing off into the universe at some small fraction of C.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

And vampires. There are vampires.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this. My friend, who said he "couldn't get into" the expanse loves Dark Matter and says it's amazing and has amazing characters. Me and my wife slogged through the first episode and half way through the 2nd and we both just kept saying how it feels straight out of the 90's. Like it was some 2 season forgotten show that used to come on before buffy. The characters are so loving bad and are 90's cliche's, the writing is 90's, the structure is 90's. It seriously feels like someone found a big box of scripts and work for a 90's scifi series and just made it today. When they first introduced all the characters and they were such 90's cliches I thought for sure it was a joke or they were going to subvert my expectations or something, but that's actually just the writing.

I love all things Vancouver sci-fi but dark matter is unmitigated garbage. Killjoys is great though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

unlawfulsoup posted:

Holden is sort of necessary because you usually need someone to ground the more interesting/zany characters. Also, I think for the most part his decision making is pretty logical. Yeah, he may have went Ahab at the last encounter, but I can totally understand him wanting to stop the protomolecule after Eros. It basically was a cause for him, Holden is simply a pretty average dude who went to space to find one. The rest of the Roci crew have more personality, so no doubt they are going to be more interesting.

Also, I don't think it is the actor as much as the script. Like someone said a 'better' actor may get a little bit more, but probably only a little.

Also, I like Aversala's bodyguard and Bobbie, but I don't even know bodyguard dudes name.

His name is Nick Taraby and if you haven't watched Spartacus drop whatever you're doing and go watch all of it right now.

edit: That's the actors name. I don't know the characters name.

• Locked thread