Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

If only the will one member of a group was constitutive example of the wills of every member of that group. :ironicat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I've never read the book and the spoilers this and the last thread put forward are so obtuse that I haven't actually understood jack.

I guess that is actually a positive thing. :raise:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

Well yeah, they're not going to get nine seasons. They'll be lucky if they get more than four, that's just how TV works nowadays.

This show's success is basically contingent on successful Netflix numbers and the show having a champion among the producers at Syfy.

You say that like it's a bad thing. Personally, I want less Game of Throne and more Spartacus in my TV-schedule.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The Good Place is the only other recent show that comes to mind for me.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The only thing worse than a book reader in TV IV is a comic book reader.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

timp posted:

That was a cool episode, lots of great moments in general.

So...are we being led to believe that the Protomolocule has, in some way, altered the orbit of Eros Station? I thought maybe it gained enough intelligence/sentience to realize it was on a collision course, but judging from previews for next week's episode, it looks like it's on a course for Earth maybe? (just preview stuff for the next episode)

From how it was displayed I just assumed it started accelerating.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Phobophilia posted:

Nope. The bit marines couldn't act worth a drat.

Makes me wonder why they even bothered introducing them before the Eros plotline was wrapped up. Maybe some actor screen-time contract shenanigans? :raise:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It could have worked if they hadn't cut having everyone dying on-screen to maintain the suspense about the blue men. I've loved season 2 so far but the Martian marine stuff really stands out as a completely pointless b-plot. Nothing but Bobby actually matters and even the captain was just unceremoniously killed off without any real stakes to it.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Platystemon posted:

I don’t like how Bobby’s squad died thinking the UN Marines were the enemy. :smith:

That's not at all what the events before the cut in the episode indicated though.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Also why are ships blowing up a bunch of soy bean farms?? Was shouting "NO MY BEANS!!!" every time one of those big farms got destroyed. Is it all protogen once again trying to start a war and spooping the UN and Mars ?

Considering that it was an attack on a purely symbolic target I would assume as much. I mean their MO has pretty much just been repeated false flag attacks. I'm not really sure how the blue men play into it though as any witness of them would make it clear there's something more going on.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Of course that is a real thing. Why wouldn't it be.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

etalian posted:

all the book spoiler meltdowns and fights itt makes me think the whole Game of Thrones in Space comparison was accurate.

Seriously, OP just lock the thread until the next episode.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Accretionist posted:

That spacing. :stare:

Everyone is so blasé about mass murder in this show.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Toast Museum posted:

Oh, yeah, I mean big relative to the usual population density on an Earth with higher sea levels and more than four times as many people.

Not really at the current real-life pace of urbanisation.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Toast Museum posted:

I want to start telling people that random books are based on RPG campaigns and watch them interpret everything according to how the game must have gone.

The star wars prequel webcomic of the Phantom Menace that interprets it as a RPG campaign gone wrong remains the pinnacle of human creative endeavor.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Accretionist posted:

The evacuees, you can be confident that it's done in one torpedo. With the Roci, you could lose ships and crew and one stray round into opposing forces could trigger WWIII. Letting him pass is the least risky move, especially when everyone involved probably wants an excuse to let the evacuees go.

Yeah, if they'd let one unarmed refugee ship break the blockade that'd be some martian officer's getting court-martialed for disobeying orders the next day. However, Holden's posturing gave them a legitimate excuse to break orders as it was above everyone involved's paygrade to call his bluff and thus they let them pass.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 13, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

That last shot of the crew over Venus was extremely anime.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

JacksLibido posted:

I like this show but the guy who plays Holden is a loving AWFUL actor.

I really don't get what this threads problem with him is, seeing him gradually morph into Christian Bale as the season progressed has been hilarious.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

VagueRant posted:

Holden being played by Jake Gyllenhaal (or someone else to can emote the weight of decisions with their eyeballs) would be a MUCH BETTER bland and vaguely charismatic white guy for us to latch on to though.

Sorry but Jake Gyllenhaal is busy being in way worse sci-fi entertainment. (Don't watch Life)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Smiling Jack posted:

well the amount of time we spent bitching about it is all relative

Whatever happens on earth stays on earth

• Locked thread