Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

NowonSA posted:

I didn't mind Bobbie's actor, for where the character's at right now how she was represented made sense. Even if her performance doesn't turn out to be that great, she's right in the Amos tier of "Yep that's what that character should look like."

I like her fine but I sort of wish they had cast someone a bit taller. the books are constantly going on about how imposing she seems standing next to an Earther for example.

*edit: i guess you're right, putting it that way... Bobbie is described as being over 2 meters tall but I guess women of that size are a bit hard to find. it's just that standing next to the other cast members she doesn't look so imposing.

uber_stoat fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/Nfarmerlinguist

his twitter where he's been translating stuff recently.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Spuckuk posted:

There was a rumour that they originally wanted Gwendolin Christie for the part.

The actress they have was a boxer, and pretty physically huge, I like that they did the arm wrestling scene to emphasise it.

I image searched her to see what she looks like and now I am privy to the knowledge that there is someone with a fetish for photoshopping actresses so they are giants. deviantart doesn't disappoint.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

fyodor posted:

Hi TVIV this made me laugh and I hope the low budget fun continues:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
phoebe isn't very large as moons go. and probably much of it is made of ice.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/WencheBandida/status/828667199829086208

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
by the end of his run I hope Miller just has a tiny cartoonish squiggle of hair sprouting from the top of his head.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
it certainly casts his dialogue about talking to pedophiles in a different light.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I mean, I'm going to guess I've just been spoiled by someone saying whatever it is puts this episode's dialogue in another light. So that's kind of lovely.

what dialogue? there's an awful lot of it.

I mean, sorry if I spoiled something for you, but I could've been talking about anything.

uber_stoat fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Feb 10, 2017

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Real live US marines do poo poo like that, don't see why Martians wouldn't.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
all Mormons are Space Mormons ultimately. all the faithful shall heed the call of Kolob.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Miller wasn't staring slackjawed at the Nauvoo because it missed Eros. It was because he just saw the laws of physics violated right before his eyes.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
it's true. not many shows out there that could provoke this kind of discussion.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Nope. Getting close though. The big climactic moment is right around the corner.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I hope they get through book 2 at least.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
if Hannibal could squeeze out three seasons, surely the Expanse can manage it.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
chasing Julie's ghost is the only thing keeping him going, cut him some slack.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

ATP_Power posted:

While there is a common belief among Belters and Dusters that all Earthers live a life of leisure with free everything, the reality is that the system of basic income Earth provides really only papers over the staggering inequality of the Earth economy, and a massive chunk of the population of Earth lives in very terrible conditions and circumstances. Without getting into too many specifics, the later books do cover in more depth the real economic situation on Earth and dip into what life is like for someone living in the slums of the Earth mega cities.

We might even get a little bit of that story this season.

yeah, one of the main characters in particular .......Amos........ is from circumstances in the Achewood sense.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I prefer the incomprehensible blue crystallized Eros to the charnal house Dead Space Eros. it makes Miller's ultimate meeting with Julie all the more effecting as it takes place in such a strangely beautiful place.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
it isn't that kind of vampire. I feel like I read somewhere that the idea originated when he challenged himself to come up with a plausible scientific explanation for "vampires." the backstory is that long long ago there was a predatory cannibalistic human subspecies. it died out but you know how scientists love to dabble in things man was not meant to know...

they keep them around because they're more intelligent than normal people and their brains are wired in a fundamentally different way than baseline people. kept under control because they have a brain quirk that causes them to seizure and die if exposed to certain kinds of imagery. if the vampires behave themselves, they get the anti-epileptic drugs they need.

there was no vampire war that I can remember, tho. if you're gonna balk because of that description you're really missing out. really the whole vampire thing is just one minor plot thread.

uber_stoat fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Feb 24, 2017

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Blindsight and Echopraxia end spoiler: is the thing shipped back to Earth at the end of Blindsight really Siri or just a thing that thinks it is Siri

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
you'll be seeing the results of at least one of their intended plans before the season's out.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
yeah, Ganymede's surface was collateral damage because the mirror was damaged by the attack and deorbiting.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
well the thing that is proof of life beyond Earth, which is capable of breaking the laws of physics and has been the main focus of the show for a while now is probably not going to vanish in a puff of smoke. not much of a spoiler to say that we're not done with it.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I bought the full season through Amazon and once I happened to be up late and the ep popped up around 2am central time.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
gonna be fun looking back on all the predictions when the thing that happens happens.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Alex wears one every time they suit up now, though.

maybe he got trained on them when he was in the military.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

counterfeitsaint posted:

It would make sense power armor requires some sort of training, and probably custom fitting as well. The fact that a gunship just has spare suits in the first place is kinda weird. Chekovs power armor maybe?

I think the book mentions that the Tachi/Rocinante could carry a complement of 6 marines depending on the mission.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
she has a character arc. don't worry about it. and read the book if you want to laugh at how easily that thing wrecked them. hopefully they will show a version of it on the tv program at some point.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
she's sad cuz she just went through some poo poo. she's gets better.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
you might want to see how the rest of the season turns out before you start bitching about "broken doll violence engines."

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Eiba posted:

I guess it could be more dystopian than I'm picturing, but I always imagined Earth as legitimately having its poo poo together with regards for caring for people's material needs. Like, living on basic isn't dreadful because it's a physical hardship. That seemed too crassly dark for the sake of it. I always thought it was physically comfortable, but psychologically difficult to handle. They make a big todo about how there's no purpose, but I always figured another issue is that there's no status. You can't demonstrate your worth to your neighbors, you can't feel proud of your accomplishments, because everything material you have to work with is exactly what everyone else has.

I felt the strength of the Expanse was depicting a society that has legitimately advanced a great deal, but nevertheless has problems that are as severe as societies always have. Race, gender, sexuality, even Earth nationalities seem to be irrelevant, or close to it. But now there's prejudice based on the gravity you grew up in. They've cured cancer, but unleashed the alien protomolecule.

There's poo poo on earth- there are cracks people can still fall through, and anyone looking to engage with the market- to do something "real" with their lives- has an incredibly lovely almost impossible path in front of them. But no one's living in slums. No one's dying of preventable diseases. No one's going hungry. It's a world with problems of it's own, having left our problems behind.

Though I might have just imagined that 'cause I think it's neat and Basic may be more explicitly lovely than I remember.

you should read the short story The Churn that stars Amos as the protagonist if you want to see what kinda bad poo poo goes down in the low places of the world.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
can't wait for the next episode. the big reveal when Amos is revealed to be a protomolecule puppet infiltrator is gonna be so sweet.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
drunk zero-g Alex was fun.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the hobo camp is just there to show Bobbie that not all Earthers are fat and happy layabouts. not much more to it than that. pointless to extrapolate.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
re-watched the latest ep and the scene where Amos beats the poo poo out of Chicken Boy... scary loving eyes, man. Amos is a dangerous dude.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

I can't believe the future is the boot of capitalism stomping on the neck of humanity forever. It just doesn't match to anything I've seen!

the Expanse is an optimistic future, in that capitalism hasn't caused industrial civilization to collapse catastrophically.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
looks like we'll finally get to see Mr. Blue Protoman in the next ep. good thing cuz I am getting Blue Protoballs over here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
toot toot

https://twitter.com/Mi55Tipper/status/939034183384498177

• Locked thread