Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Netflix still isn't announcing Season 2 .... hope I don't have to stream it from somewhere else...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

grilldos posted:

Good directing can go a long way to properly establishing her as Imposing, and I would not say that the directing on these first two episodes was very good other than the entirely-CGI ship fights. Why is the camera almost always eye level on her?

Well it didn't even take that much camera trickery and CGI to make Tom Cruise imposing.
I'm sure they will manage it with Frankie.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
double post is double :-/

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Well Syfy also renewed 12 Monkeys for a 3rd season, while most fans thought it was to be cancelled for sure.
The thing was that in the last few episodes of season 2 the quality rose sky high, so some SyFy exec must have defended the show fiercely to renew it.

I've hated Syfy for almost a decade (After Firefly and SG:U cancellations), but they're slowly winning back my favor.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

The death of SGU was a tragedy especially since it started to really shine towards the end but I think it got hosed by being guaranteed 40 episodes out of the gate. They didn't seem to feel too much need to hurry and we ended up with a ton of S1 garbage. Firefly however was Fox, SyFy is NBCUNI.

Oh right... I often get the channels wrong as I'm forced to watch everything online anyway.

SG:U first season was fine for the first few "crisis of the week" episodes (the dual episodes "Darkness" and "Light" were terrific) but they should have advanced more quickly in the main storyline regarding the cosmic broadcast etc. The whole Lucian Alliance ship takeover sideplot lead to nowhere. But as you said they indeed probably thought they had at least 5 seasons so they didn't want to go too quickly.

Bummer. Well they can always pick up the series again at a later date, say 5000 years have passed all with different aged actors. (people still age slowly in the stasis pods, ref SG:A.... yeah I know, not gonna happen)

How much is Syfy advertising the Expanse this season? More than last season?
I don't think it was aired in many countries so I don't think anyone really knows about this marvellous show.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

I wonder why they totally eliminated the horror aspect of the protomolecule. The inside of Eros is a complete loving nightmare hellscape in the book, not a pretty glowing crystally thing. Good episode anyway.

TV is trying to recover from a zombie overdose. That's why.

If Earth is so severely overpopulated with most ppl living on Basic. Why are we only seeing the top 1% in their luxurious villa's?
I think the "poorest" people we've seen so far in their home were Holden's kibbutz parents. I want to see the slums or arcologies or whatever they've built to house 30bil people.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

I wonder why they totally eliminated the horror aspect of the protomolecule. The inside of Eros is a complete loving nightmare hellscape in the book, not a pretty glowing crystally thing. Good episode anyway.

TV is trying to recover from a zombie overdose. That's why.

If Earth is so severely overpopulated with most ppl living on Basic. Why are we only seeing the top 1% in their luxurious villa's?
I think the "poorest" people we've seen so far in their home were Holden's kibbutz parents. I want to see the slums or arcologies or whatever they've built to house 30bil people.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
How much time passes between Eros starting it's road trip and crashing on Venus?
I guess if Eros kept a 15+g acceleration during the whole trip this might have been pretty fast.

I didn't bother to rewatch yet, but I think I understood they said Eros was about 1/4 of the rock that killed the Dino's. Is this accurate?
I would expect real world Eros sized asteroid crashing on earth to be a total ELE.

Also the whole Roci chasing Eros scene with a totally juiced up crew up to the limit was awesome. It even said the juice was starting to reach toxic levels so this means a crew can never sustain these high G's forever.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
There is not so much a change in tone, as a change in cast/crew.

The Donnager crew was the crew of the flagship of the Martian fleet. Most of the ones we saw are/were officers.
The brig guards weren't all that talkative either.

Bobbies crew is mostly a bunch of marines/jarheads. While good at their job I wouldn't consider them to be the most educated and sophisticated people.
Their ship's captain however was exactly like the ones we know from the Donnager.

In fact, Bobbie's crew is going through the exact same phase as the guys from the movie Jarhead. They just want to get in action so badly... A body so pumped up with testosterone (can women have that?) just ready to shoot whoever they're told to shoot.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Ye well sorry, that's maybe one aspect they had to change a bit.
They couldn't find a 6'3 and 250+ pounds of musclular polynesian actress.
They had to settle for a little less, and honestly they found a great match.

A few months ago the bookreaders in this very thread were literally in love with the casting, and now many people are judging the character on a few introductionary scenes that even predate the source material.

What they are doing is instead of suddenly introducing a new character and immediately have a lot of stuff happen to her, they introduce the whole crew (with a slight focus on Bobbie) to give her some background and then only later really make her part of the central story.

Books can devote whole chapters on background stories after introducing a new character. This is much harder in TV as the only way to do this properly is flashbacks and origin episodes.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Well,

The Donnager crew were like the Titanic's crew. They thought they were unsinkable. Nothing could harm them.

However they clearly mention that they have zero actual combat training outside of simulations.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

bobfather posted:

Wouldn't those rounds have enough delta v to just orbit the sun, silent, and waiting to ruin some beltalowda's day months or years later?

I think you mean just "vee" ... as the projectile is no longer accelerating.
Yeah, high velocity space debris is quite dangerous. There have been some punctured solar panels in the ISS.

If what happened in the movie "Gravity" ever happened or real, that might be the end of human space travel forever.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
The thing is hé was not expecting either such efficiency and power at all, not even close.
He was hoping for a few percent increase.

It was a total fluke, nothing more.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

Platystemon posted:

If you wanted to slow down and get a good look, that would double the time it would otherwise take to get your data.

Couldn't the probe slow down partially by using the destination's star gravity well?
Pretty much by doing an reverse slingshot?

(would be quite a feat tho, if you're already traveling at a fraction of c)

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

TV shows really like to keep the existence of aliens from the general public in-universe. Like, did the stargate project ever reveal the gates to the general public?

Depends on which reality you speak of....
But no, the whole universe is aware of and uses Stargates as transportation. Only earth's general population is totally unaware of everything. Even after earth got attacked by aliens it was a "meteor shower"...

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

counterfeitsaint posted:

Seriously this. Everyone's ignoring the trail of body's behind this guy.

Good villains are the ones that have a lot of good points and are sympathetic. The problem with good villains is half the audience ends up mistaking them for good guys. See: DS9

This makes Clarke an absolute villain in "The 100".
Checks out yep.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Correct, they're forced out because of the thrusters.
Only after they're out the main drive is fired. They got the timing right to the second though, so they must be quite experienced in floating people.

I'm amazed by Drummer's accent. I thought she had it because the actress wouldn't be a native english speaker or so, but actually it's all done on purpose.
Love her to bits. Wouldn't dare to stand in her way though.

The pace of the season has staggered a bit since Eros crashed into Venus, but at least we got 13 episodes this season so plenty yet to come.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

Apoffys posted:

There is no legal international viewing, because the show doesn't get released internationally on Netflix until the season ends. Maybe they have a good reason for doing it like this, but I'm sure it's costing them a lot of impatient viewers.

Exactly I don't get it.
I'm pretty confident we can assume that most scify nerds (like me) are very well aware how the internet works and how to get their fix as soon as possible.
I do know some people who definitely wait until the end of a season before they start watching it so they can binge it... so it does have its merit.

This show should definitely have been aired on Netflix 24-48 hours after original airing on Syfy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
At least BSG didn't end by landing on the Planet of the Apes... that would have been funny (not).
SAaB : the only thing i remember from this was indeed Chiggie Von Richthoven... was awesome and terryfying.

As for the Expanse, i'm not sure how well people will remember it 20 years from now. I think it's great but I don't think it manages to draw in people who aren't like me (a geek).

• Locked thread