Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ShakeZula posted:

The new character is seriously named Bobbie Draper? Are they going to recast her three or four times?

idgi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Hahahahaha

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The Alamo Drafthouse screened the first 2 episodes on Jan 30 at some of their locations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Kingtheninja posted:

That's solely for outside the US right? No Netflix plans stateside?

All the talk about the blu rays has me interested in them, but I have season on Amazon so I'm probably keeping with that for S2. Assuming it'll look good enough.

Amazon Prime Video has the streaming rights for the US. The 1st season is only on Amazon Prime Video.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Kingtheninja posted:

I was talking about purchasing S2 on Amazon video.

Got it. Misunderstood what you were asking.

Also, what great loving open. That battle suit rocks.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

God drat it, Put that poo poo back Amos

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Stunt Rock posted:

I can't believe anyone ever complained about Amos because he is great at being extremely unsettling.

Wes Chatham plays Amos exactly how I imagined him. It probably helps that Wes is a HUGE fan of the books and *really* wanted to play Amos.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Stunt Rock posted:

I didn't read the books or the spoilers but I know that "doors and corners" is significant for some reason.

Well it's the title of the episode.

Also, that's where threats will come from in close quarter combat. Around every corner and behind every door.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Miller is one ice cold mother fucker.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Verified not in iTunes version either. I just scrubbed through the entire episode "Safe". While it should show between the UN meetings, nothing. From a narrative perspective in the iTunes/Amazon/GooglePlay version of the episode, the viewer doesn't get introduced to the spy until after she meets with the ex-Adminarl of the Fleet, but I think contextually you get that he's super off the books given her order to contact Fred Johnson sub rosa. But you miss out on a nice character beat for Avasarala and how she interacts with trusted subordinates.

Tighclops posted:

This show is extremely my poo poo, but I have to say that space battle was the most thrilling one I can recall since BSG

Alex's speech at the bar made my eyes water up a bit :3:

It was good, and the way that scene ended with Amos buying a hooker drinks to sit and listen to Alex was hilarious. Amos ain't got no time for that.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

uber_stoat posted:

I like her fine but I sort of wish they had cast someone a bit taller. the books are constantly going on about how imposing she seems standing next to an Earther for example.

*edit: i guess you're right, putting it that way... Bobbie is described as being over 2 meters tall but I guess women of that size are a bit hard to find. it's just that standing next to the other cast members she doesn't look so imposing.

She's also slouched over in that picture.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Excellent. I was also looking for some kind of primer on Belter slang because every now and then some Belter extra will say something that sounds like utter gibberish.

http://www.syfy.com/theexpanse/blog/belter-creole-101

E: fb :argh:

Of course there is. :D

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

gohmak posted:

http://i.imgur.com/JsC80QS.mp4

These two just get Miller and Amos.

Agreed.

I've always found Amos interesting. There is "family" and there is "not-family". If you're "not-family" then you are a threat or not a threat. If you are a threat, you are made not a threat and the easiest way to do that is to just kill you.

It's a very sparse decision tree he uses to deal with other people.

I also love how he appears simple but never stupid.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Feb 3, 2017

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Platystemon posted:

This, and Miller’s decision weakened by, as I said, the lack of knowledge about just how much of a sociopath he is and also, in the show, Fred Johnson’s acceptance of his terms.

In the book, Miller puts Dresden down while everyone is still in shock. He acts to pre‐empt anyone entertaining the offer.

I got the same vibe from the episode, personally. He put him down when it became apparent no one else was going to lay down punishment for what he did.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I thought Johnson was going just bluffing to have all the data unlocked. I didn't really think he meant it. :shrug:

I'm not saying he wasn't. However, I think Miller saw everyone buying into the bullshit and letting Dresden get away with it. Or even worse, letting him continue his work in a kind of Belter version of Operation Paperclip.

Personally, I liked it from a characterization perspective. Miller saw himself as reformed and a now a zealous dispenser of justice (re: air filter guy) and he burned for vengeance of an idealized love of Julie Mao. It also works in terms of the narrative by increasing the tension on whether or not the people ultimately responsible will ever be brought to task.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Feb 4, 2017

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

gohmak posted:

Wow. Well made and thought out arguments. I think you're wrong and season 2 is kicking off to be great tv. I hope they ignore criticisms like this and keep up the good work.

To be fair, the point of criticism is not necessarily to hate on a thing. And in this point I think grilldos is trying to counter the gushing of "PERFECT EPISODE" with some valid arguments. And let's be honest, while I think it was a good episode and I enjoyed it, it was far from a perfect episode.

For honest criticism, I think the hope is that the show runners DO pay attention to it and use it constructively to improve and address the shortcomings.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Eiba posted:

Oooh, you think they were looking down. Nah, they were looking out the side. For whatever reason.

Yep, the net force acting on him is down toward the direction of his feet.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

He's travelling at 1g when he leaves the station, he'd continue on that trajectory.

he is continuing on the trajectory. The station is huge and has a large enough arc that the brief view appears that the stars are moving horizontal. The rotational velocity is enough that it *appears* he drops perpendicular to the floor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btxMd5mbPeM&t=55s

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Feb 6, 2017

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

tooterfish posted:

He's on a spinning station. Centrifugal acceleration acts perpendicular to the station's spin, that's how it simulates gravity (i.e it pushes people "down" to the "floor").

He probably should have been flung at a bit of an angle because of coriolis, but any spin fast enough to simulate gravity would fling him mostly outwards/downwards.

Centripetal force. Centrifugal is a "psuedo force" that only exists within the rotational frame.

Centripetal is what makes his body follow the curved path. Once that force is removed (when he's forced out by atmo evacuating) he'll continue on a straight vector. Observation from within the spinning system, it will appear as if he drops away. If the door were bigger, he'd appear to be moving downward at a diagonal.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

gohmak posted:

No he wouldn't

Thanks, I probably should have just searched for a diagram like that.

And if you look at the post above, the stars are actually traveling in an arc as you would expect.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Phobophilia posted:

Yeah I'd blame spotty directing, and the executive decision to cram 3 episodes into a season double header. The second half of this episode seriously needed room to breathe, stuff happened way too fast, did we really need to end episode 2 in the climactic Thoth station raid and the Dresden headshot?

Yeah after re-watch, the pacing goes to poo poo in episode 2. I feel like it would have been better served for the 2nd episode to close out on the approach to Thoth, and then open 3 with the actual raid allowing it to spread out some, instead of how cramped it ended up feeling.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Subyng posted:

Does Mars have an authoritarian government? I'm getting kind of a Zeon from Gundam vibe from them.

No, it's Republic. IIRC, It's the MCR = Martian Congressional Republic

I'm not sure if it's more expansionist Rome type republic or expansionist USA type republic or a combo of the two.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

It's "Owkwa". It's on the SyFy page for the Belter Creole 101.

http://www.syfy.com/theexpanse/blog/belter-creole-101

According to the Expanse Fan Wiki, it has it's roots in Finnish.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Hahaha. Miller moving the bottle away. "I offered a snort, not many snorts"

E: Wait, are we on different airing schedules or are we not posting during airing? This thread seems quieter than I expected.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Svaha posted:

This bit of dialogue was a nice touch:

Scientist: They burned their temporal lobes making them unable to feel empathy.

Amos: Is it reversible?

Scientist: No.

Amos: :smith:

Poor Amos, he so wants to be a real boy. :allears:

Yeah, I feel this was Amos's episode. There was so much revealed about him as a character and props to Wes Chatham for pulling it off.

Amos shows a depth and insight that until now hasn't been obvious. The conversation with Miller in the bar was spot on. Right or wrong, Miller seems bound and determined to destroy himself in his quest for redemption and doesn't seem terribly concerned with the collateral damage. Beyond his captain wanting him gone for moral reasons, I think Amos recognizes Miller as the threat to the crew that he is.

But where I think both the writers and Chatham knocked it out of the park, was how they *showed* how self-aware Amos is of himself. He *knows* he's missing some fundamental connection with other people. You see that in how he understands the scientist and gets him to open up. And when he oh-so-casually asks if there's anyway to "fix" the prisoners psychopathy... he KNOWS he's broken somehow. And desperately wants to be normal. There was no exposition or soliloquies to call it out. We're shown this over the course of the episode through his actions and dialog beats.

In S1 we saw him defer all moral decisions to Naomi, but that relationship was damaged somewhat when he found out she had been keeping the truth about the distress log on the Cant from him. It's a subtle beat, but I think he's withdrawn a little from her. He seemed to be deferring more to Holden in S2, and by this episode he is solidly in Team Holden. He still cares for Naomi (as much as he's capable), but she's no longer his moral compass. Holden's righteousness and absolute moral certainty are what Amos needs to help him navigate the world. At this point I feel that Amos will follow Holden to hell if asked.

Amos was my favorite character in the books, and I'll admit I was extremely dubious that Chatham could pull it off. But drat if after this episode, Chatham *is* the definitive Amos for me. Chatham *gets* Amos and understands what he's all about, and has the skill to show that.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Feb 9, 2017

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

gohmak posted:

I just got that Eros spins on its side like spin the bottle.

Yeah, it was weird to see the visualization, but my brain went "Oh, duh. That way they have a level "ground" for people."

It's sort of counterintuitive on how you'd expect a cylinder shape to revolve, but then you remember it's out in space so the axis doesn't matter as much if you're pouring energy into the rotation.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Found a good interview with Chatham on io9 that went up today.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/last-nights-expanse-was-more-proof-that-its-the-best-sc-1792172927

EDIT: OH poo poo. There's spoiler about The Churn in there, so read at your own risk! Sorry thread, I completely glossed over that for some reason. If the thread wants me to remove the link, I will.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 10, 2017

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ATP_Power posted:

Having read but books, but not The Churn I'd say it has mild book spoilers related to Amos's character but nothing major.

I agree (having read them too), but some people get bent about mild spoilers, I just wanted to head that off.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Nihonniboku posted:

I never read Churn. There were enough clues about his past scattered throughout the 6 main books, as well as the episodes leading up to this week, that the spoilers in that interview from Churn are more just confirmation than an actual spoiler.

Yeah, but to be fair, this isn't the book thread.

I'm just gonna double down and say if you don't want to be spoiled for a facet of Amos's backstory, don't click. Personally, I don't think it would affect my enjoyment one way or the other, but then I typically don't have a big issue with spoilers.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The Muffinlord posted:

The thing they gloss over is how long space travel still takes, even with the Epstein drives. Sure you can accelerate endlessly, but only at speeds that would be comfortable to endure. It's mentioned in the books that some of the longer voyages have taken months to complete, although they mercifully don't have too many chapters about not going mad from sharing the same stank air with people for that long. I'd imagine long-haul space travel mostly attracts people who don't mind being alone with their thoughts for long spans of time or the same stories over and over.

I agree they don't do a great job getting across transit times in show, but travel wouldn't take months. The only trip I can think of that would even remotely have taken "months" is in (book stuff) Cibola Burn. Because of the "speed limit" around the gates

In the 1st season thread, we did the math on 0.5g acceleration from 0m/s to the halfway point and then 0.5g decel from halfway point to 0m/a. Even at the longest (one side of the belt across the solar system to the other on a hyperbolic path outside the ecliptic)is just about 2 weeks. Cargo haulers are probably more sedate at 0.3g, but it's not a linear increase in time. 1g to 0.5g only added a couple days on to the trip. For Earthers and MCR Fleet, 1g would be perfect. Regular Martians would probably 0.3g to 0.5g and belters 0.3g to be in their comfort zones. If you have a magic acceleration drive, why not take advantage to make the ride as comfortable as possible.

Constant acceleration has a HUGE impact on velocity and transit time. Partly because you are increasing velocity every moment to reach the halfway point (and then flipping and decreasing that velocity for the second half), but also because you don't need to plot huge arcing ballistic paths to get to your destination.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Feb 11, 2017

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

It was specifically called out in this last episode that Mars has superior ships. Given the MCR's training and operating in 1G *and* the fact they're all the same specieis when you get right down to it, I can't imagine Earth having any real advantage other than sheer numbers.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Nihonniboku posted:

Enh, that's not really true. I'm going through the books for a second time, and they actually do make a big deal about travel time in the books all the time. Especially once the gates open up, and they start traveling to all the ring worlds. If I remember correctly, the Earth gate is beyond the reach of Pluto. So from Earth to Illus they say it takes 18 months.

Right but I think the majority of that is due to the (book stuff again, sorry)Slow Zone around the gates. It limits anything with physical mass to 600 m/s. That's where the majority of your transit time is going to stack up.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Nihonniboku posted:

Nope. Once Miller convinced the Ring Station to lift the restrictions, full speeds resumed. The name the Slow Zone for the area around the Rings and Medina Station simply stuck.

drat. That's right. I completely forgot that.

However, I did a quick lookup, and distance from Earth to just Pluto is about an order of magnitude greater than it is to Jupiter. So when you add up whatever distance form the far side of the gate it probably does end up being a major trip, magic drive or no.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The MRC Marine stuff screams of fan-service to get Bobbie on screen ASAP. It does literally *nothing* to advance the plot other than HULKBOBBIE WANT SMASH PUNY EARTH. And every scene is so hackneyed and terrible down to the "huh. we better wrap up all this inter-squad tension before we start doing actual plot stuff!"

And the depth of characterization so far has been lacking. Which is weird, because inconsistent as it's been, at times a lot of the background players in the rest of the show seem interesting at some level.

INTRODUCING BOBBIE AND THE REDSHIRTS:

Bobbie - I really hate Earth. A lot. And I'm strong.
The Lieutenant - I sure am war-weary. Really, you kids just don't understand war.
The Rich Bitch - I'm rich but I'm regular folk. I'm also xenophobic to the point of seriously threatening my ELITE squad's cohesion.
Earth Immigrant - I may be from Earth, but Mars is my home. Stop picking on me.
Some Guy: Really, I'm an integral member. But I'll just faaaade into the background.

It's a complaint on how the show presents the characters, but I guess(?) some book people feel it's a spoiler of some sort. Whatevs.
It's like the show is "here's some characters, but don't get too attached if you know what I mean"

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 11, 2017

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Hey guy, not everyone here knows what's going to happen and this is a pretty lovely thing to do. I've read the books so I know, but others don't and you're straight up spoiling things. Good job.

I honestly don't remember what happens when they get to where they're going. I not making a comment on their fate.

I'm commenting on how shallow the characterization is and how the show is presenting them as if they aren't important.. But thanks for cementing that now

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 11, 2017

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Eiba posted:

While I don't like the Martian marines bit, this complaint seems silly. You're basically taking issue with the fact that they have easy to process introductory traits. So far they've introduced five people, made them do stuff so that you can remember who's who... and that's it. What more were they supposed to do with this pile of new characters who only get a few scenes every episode?

I don't know, but more than this. It just seems so clumsy and ham-handed and really feels different than the rest of the show. Even the Ceres prostitute in S1 (who probably had the same or less screen time and lines) was given more depth of character.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Milky Moor posted:

That's just the injection point. Amos gives Miller some meds when he meets him in the bar.

Yeah, that's just a portable delivery mechanism so they don't need to sit in an auto-doc every day or so. They still have to top it off every now and then.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Inspector 34 posted:

Well not that serious, my bro. Could have thought for more than 3 seconds and come up with a better metaphor I guess. Maybe a freight train and a school bus? I dunno.

Point was, there's no reason to think the Nauvoo is lost as you suggested, there's a whole lot of solar system left to travel through and no indication that the ship is out of control.

Yeah, they could very well have programmed the acceleration to cut shortly after the billiards style bank-shot. Then it's entirely ballistic and can be overtaken.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

Really? I haven't been able to make out anything clear in the Eros audio. I'm missing the video feed too we're not seeing any of the crazy poo poo. Maybe they're saving it for next week.

gohmak posted:

I don't hear it

I didn't either.

I wonder if hearing damage and age strikes again. Person of Interest had an episode like that where there was some high frequency morse code. Root heard The Machine communicating with her, but her captor/interrogator didn't hear a thing because she was too old. People in the watch thread not only confirmed to us olds that "yes, there was actually sounds during the TV broadcast" but that it was legit morse code saying what Root was reporting. It was just one more layer of cool in some of the smartest TV I've ever seen.

This may be the same kind of thing. I'll have to watch the episode again with headphones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Svaha posted:

This is complete speculation right? It's a possibility they got off of Eros with the protomolecule, but I'm fairly sure the show has not indicated that they did, Nor have any of the characters involved indicated that they had more samples somewhere. As far as the show is concerned, the protomolecule is on Eros and in a missile parked off an abandoned asteroid mine in the middle of nowhere.

Yeah, watching the episode I love how it's left ambiguous. The doctors/citizen journalists/maybe Protogen only ever fully show the one guy communicating with the Roci. We can see there's more crew and we know one of them got infected because Miller found the body. We (the viewers) and Holden have no idea if any more are infected or if they are going to broadcast the situation of Eros to Solar System (how do you like it, Holden?) or if they are going to contact Protogen. Either one is a huge danger to humanity, and Holden has the real dilemma of having to do what he knows he must even though it goes against everything he believes in.

• Locked thread