Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Milky Moor posted:

Those were some good goddamn episodes. The little disagreement between Miller and Amos in the galley was fantastic. Wes Chatham is a great Amos, couldn't be better.

Yeah, having read most of the Expanse books I'm really looking forward to seeing him play stuff down the line, though at the pace they're on that's probably a long time away. I didn't read the first one though, so still plenty of stuff coming up that I'm sure will surprise me.

The various actors will be at roughly the right ages as they work through book stuff, since between the long travel times between various space spots and time skips between books quite a lot of time passes. It's not like having the various Stark Children rapidly age was a big problem in Game of Thrones, but I wouldn't say it wasn't a factor at all and it's nice to not have to worry about that with this adaptation.

Very good S2 premiere though, the effects and sets are all just as insanely good as I remember. It sucks having to wait so long between seasons, but I'm flat out amazed that anyone is willing to put in the time and budget into maintaining this level of production throughout a series that only broke one million viewers for its S1 premiere and was below a million after that. I hope the Expanse puts SyFy back on the map the way Breaking Bad and Mad Men turned AMC into a channel that people cared about.

Edit: Also a highlight for me was Naomi's amazing disappearing bra when she hooked up with Holden.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Feb 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I didn't mind Bobbie's actor, for where the character's at right now how she was represented made sense. Even if her performance doesn't turn out to be that great, she's right in the Amos tier of "Yep that's what that character should look like."

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Dessel posted:

Who's the young woman that looks like to be Fred's "2nd in command?" Liked her shouting to the belters before the mission started, also the body language in that scene was incredible.

There are a few sensible candidates for who that could be, in terms of characters from the books. Or maybe she comes up directly in the first book and someone knows for sure. I expect we'll get her name dropped pretty soon, one way or another.

uber_stoat posted:

I like her fine but I sort of wish they had cast someone a bit taller. the books are constantly going on about how imposing she seems standing next to an Earther for example.

*edit: i guess you're right, putting it that way... Bobbie is described as being over 2 meters tall but I guess women of that size are a bit hard to find. it's just that standing next to the other cast members she doesn't look so imposing.

Actually seeing her next to the others makes her look quite a bit more imposing to me, she has a nice width and sense of physical power. Bobbie in the books is basically describe as having a nearly John Cena-level physique, just on a woman, so seeing that she'd absolutely tower over Naomi (for example) fits for me.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Platystemon posted:

Seven and a half times, at the start of the series.

Mars has the tech edge, but Earth would poo poo on them all day every day in a ground war or a war of attrition.

Yeah, if it came down to a conventional war then Mars would have the space advantage in the short term and Earth has the ground advantage with 20+ billion people having lived at full G all their lives. In terms of comparison to where we're at right now, it'd be like the Chinese army corps vs. like, the U.K. and French ground troops, just no contest in terms of bodies you can throw in there. I give Earth the serious edge over time with so many people to draw upon and still the strongest pure resource base in the system, and only needing to ship resources around by train or plane instead of on spaceships that need to constantly produce air and water, and when the resources do arrive it's to bases that also need to constantly generate their own air and water.

As has been covered, if it was a no-holds-barred brawl both sides could easily wipe out the other with missiles, asteroid impacts, etc., but if one side did it all it would really take is a few surviving enemy ships to do the same to the other side, so it's pretty much a cold war situation, if during the cold war both sides were willing to accept the occasional military base or aircraft carrier being blown up (basically the Canterbury and Donnager situations) and not immediately jumping into full-on war.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I liked the misdirect with Miller checking out the Mormon ship, but thinking about how he could use it and not going on the grand journey. Expected it having read the books, but still kind of had me going thinking he could try to join them then be pulled out of it.

AlternateAccount posted:

Need a better thread title anyway. Suggestions go.

The Expanse, Season 2: The Coriolis effect and its effects.

or

The Expanse, Season 2: I dunno, something about Coriolis effects.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Hmm, I haven't been able to even find season one on Netflix, maybe I just missed it when it was available or searched before it was? Gonna have to check again.

I agree that the end of book 2 makes for a good end of the season, but I can't imagine they'll get far enough to make that happen. If they can pull it off without skipping too much stuff I'm all for it though, maybe the 13 episode order let them just barely make it there in a sensible way, since I have to figure that's the best place to leave off and keep interest up in the show, leave people wondering what will come next, etc.

Also, the more I think about it the more it bugs me that Miller shot Dresden so early. Like, he could see the writing on the wall that Johnson would be willing to cut a deal with him, maybe even let him continue his work, but Johnson was also making it clear he'd have to be told by Dresden who all the players are, and if Miller wants revenge he ought to wait until Dresden says at least that much, or get him to cough that info up right away and then shoot him.

In this episode he's like "Naw man I just cut off one head of the snake" and I'm thinking dude, you could have found out all the heads and been right on track to go get 'em!

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Open Source Idiom posted:

Amazon in the states.

Ah, that explains it.

Svaha posted:

I feel the same way about most of the cast, but yeah, Chatham really nails it above and beyond.

The only one I kind of don't feel it with sometimes is Steven Strait as Holden, which is pretty unfortunate seeing as he's the lead. He doesn't portray the charisma of the book character very well and it comes off as a little too much like John Snow in space for my liking. Breath through your nose and crack a joke once in while Holden!

I like Strait as Holden, everyone has their own tastes though. I do agree that Amos is the standout, but Jane is holding his own as Miller too, Avasarala is played really well, I mean I just kind of like it all!

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I don't mind Bobbie and her Jingo crew, between her and the ship's captain we get the different perspectives of "lets go loving kill Earth Hoo-ra!" and "War is hell, let's avoid it." The OPA is the posterchild of different factions and people viewing things differently and being willing to take a different level of actions to accomplish its goals, but we also see that going on in the formal governments/militaries with Bobbie and company and Avasarala vs. the corrupt elements of Earth.

One thing that just occurred to me is how much of a parallel Bobbie's marines attitude and actions are to how lots of Americans reacted to 9/11. After that there was a huge swell of patriotism and sense that we had to go get revenge for our fallen, and a significant uptick in anti-muslim sentiment. In the show, after Deimos all the marines want to go kill Earth then and there and the one Earth-born guy in the crew gets more poo poo than ever from his squadmates.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

The Muffinlord posted:

The thing they gloss over is how long space travel still takes, even with the Epstein drives. Sure you can accelerate endlessly, but only at speeds that would be comfortable to endure. It's mentioned in the books that some of the longer voyages have taken months to complete, although they mercifully don't have too many chapters about not going mad from sharing the same stank air with people for that long. I'd imagine long-haul space travel mostly attracts people who don't mind being alone with their thoughts for long spans of time or the same stories over and over.

Yeah, but you'll get that in any adaptation to T.V. or film, it's not exciting to watch a long transit time and it's rarely worth precious screen time to break it down. Now, since in the Expanse you can easily hit weeks or months of travel time depending on your destination it might be worth reinforcing that fact, but at the same time it's not like the characters make a big deal about it in the book. It's just "oh, we're going to be burning to this place for X long period of time? Cool let's go." and then the next chapter will have the character at their destination.

Now what will bother me is if they start ignoring communication delays and have a live video chat take place between, say, Tycho Staton and Earth, because that's a pretty important detail to get right, in my view anyway.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Nihonniboku posted:

Enh, that's not really true. I'm going through the books for a second time, and they actually do make a big deal about travel time in the books all the time. Especially once the gates open up, and they start traveling to all the ring worlds. If I remember correctly, the Earth gate is beyond the reach of Pluto. So from Earth to Illus they say it takes 18 months.

Well, yeah, I was hoping to avoid bringing more book spoiler stuff into here and it seems I invited it in. No biggie though. What I meant was the characters don't really sweat a long travel time to get to a job or just to where they want to go the way almost all modern people do. The only modern comparison I can think of is long deployments on military or shipping naval ships, and the closest obvious modern situation is serving for months at a time on a nuclear submarine that's constantly submerged. A lot of people just aren't built to handle that, and I'm sure plenty on Earth aren't in the Expanse, but huge swaths of humanity just treat it as normal.

Obviously the books specify how much travel time is involved because they're books, you have plenty of room for that world building detail stuff.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Toast Museum posted:

If I recall correctly, helium-3 and lithium are some of the more important raw materials Earth imports.

Lithium is for sure critically important, and it may be the most valuable single metal in the setting. No clue on the science of this, but they make a big deal out of how Stars don't really expel it at the rate that other metals are created, and between its scarcity and use in various electronics it's super prized. Gold and Platinum, meanwhile, can be found all over the place in various asteroids, so while they are far from worthless they're less rare than they are now. Heck, there are concerns about running out of lithium right now since we haven't figured out how to synthesize it, it's going into all kinds of fancy electronic gizmos, and it's nowhere near as commonly found as stuff like iron and coal.

Helium-3 makes sense since that's been a theorized energy source from the moon, but I can't recall reading anything about it.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

VagueRant posted:

Also: do any armchair moralists in the thread think Holden did the wrong thing there, even with the information he had at the time?

Between the drone getting fried, a rented/PoS ship turning out to have a top-line med bay, and the guy who hacked through the door seals and got protomolecule'd I totally had them pegged as a Protogen/Mao-Kwikowski ship and crew out to harvest some protomolecule goodness, or get an update on what's going on at the scene. I was actually thinking that was the case before Miller even found the dead guy. I kind of hope they don't fully confirm it either way now, let the most obvious and likely thing be that Holden had to kill his past self and be tormented by that for a bit, but maybe he actually took out some super bad guys who were gonna do more bad guy things, and he just doesn't know it. In my personal view I was getting total black ops vibes right from jump though, and I'd actually need some evidence the other way to convince me, though ironically I never want that evidence to come up at all!

Given what we've seen the protomolecule do so far, and now with the fresh new feat of being intelligent enough to detect a threat and powerful enough to move a whole station with no clear means of propulsion at all, I feel like any measures are authorized. It's like if a full-blown zombie plague broke out across the entire island country of Great Britian, and if it did you have to imagine a strict blockade would be set up and governments would be killing would-be good samaritans trying to get in there and help out all the time, just to reduce the chances that they get out again and spread it.

Fantastic episode though, book one's the only one I haven't read at all (though I obviously pick up most of what happened as it gets referenced in later books, or at least the major plot points), so seeing the whole station move was a nice surprise. I kind of wish I didn't know so much of what's coming so I could be surprised more, but it's not like the books were bad reads and I'm sure there will be solid chunks of the books they'll have to streamline and show-only people will miss out when that happens.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

gohmak posted:

The advertisements for for season 2 gave away the finale I think. major book 2 spoiler monster in the airlock cam

Yeah, I mean if you want a cliffhanger for next season that could do it, I can think of a few other things happening at around that time in the book with various characters that would be at least passable.

I wouldn't mind them throwing a curveball and moving parts of the end of book 2 up so they happen earlier, that could be pretty effective.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

CLAM DOWN posted:

I really hope you're wrong :( It's on/owned by Netflix outside of North America and I honestly have a lot of optimism for it!

If Netflix has a stake in it, well, they've certainly rescued shows with less critical praise. I was sure Longmire was dead for instance and they saved that, though that was a weird situation where it was actually getting really good ratings for its network but it was the dreaded olds watching it. I wouldn't mind them taking control and keeping everything else the same, just changing who's signing the proverbial paychecks.

It's hard to imagine it leaving with it being so pretty and so much more book material to draw from, but I suppose stuff like that happens all the time. Far more shows only make it one or two seasons than get full and satisfying runs.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

MA-Horus posted:

Just found out from my buddy working on the show, renewed for a 3rd (and 4th) season, they're shooting 2 seasons back-to-back starting May.

Sucks for his summer but lol overtime.

13 episode third season renewal has been officially confirmed :toot:. I didn't see a mention of a two season back to back shooting schedule or 4th season pickup, but if they're renewing despite the low ratings I guess they could easily be going all-in and lumping together the shooting schedule. Very glad that Syfy is sticking with this awesome show, hopefully they ride it all the way through the end of the story and don't cut out partway through.

Edit: Also I really hope that belter who spaced all those innocent people gets killed, that was a very not cool move guy! Prax not even being able to name him or the ship was super sad to see, I really got my hopes up once he started dropping the dime on what went down.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Taintrunner posted:

I watched the finale with Holden and Plant Guy in NYC. They're really cool guys in person! Absolutely killer finale, and I made Stephen promise me there's more Drummer coming in Season 3.

Ah sweet, if you ever see them again pass along my compliments on their work, and I guess tell them to make sure the show continues for all the books by any means necessary?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

How are u posted:

I got around to watching the finale last night and holy smokes they really blew their budget on the CG for the proto-demon! It looked really good for a TV show. Every time it was on screen (lots! expensive!) I was thinking about how much worse it could have been.

I mean, they make the effects in general look so good that at this point I just expect them to handle making a big CG creature look convincing. It's the "problem" of anything that does its job well again and again, you get used to it so if there's even a minor inconvenience or dip in quality it stands out.

They do deserve praise for that though, it's the one effect that you see in almost every movie lately and increasingly on TV and they certainly did it better than usual. I'm sure it didn't hurt that they were making something slightly larger than human and that was supposed to be alien in appearance, compared to trying to make a CG flying superhero or something that's supposed to look human, or mostly human.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

Best of Both Worlds was written to give Patrick Stewart an out, he wasn't really happy on Trek at the time. Since he decided to come back they wrote part two appropriately.

Stewart is of course awesome in anything and was a great captain, but it's pretty wild to consider what the show would have been like if he'd been killed in BoBW part 2 and Riker took over as captain. Next Gen didn't really have a character with a tortured past, the closest would be Riker with the Pegasus and Picard when Borg are involved, but Riker living with a captaincy built on the grave of Picard would be interesting. If nothing else, it's what they ought to be exploring in Star Trek comics or something.

• Locked thread