Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I mean obviously corporate overlords wouldn't lobby for an increase to it, but it would definitely be in both their and the government's interest for people to be purchasing from them than using grey markets.

It's realistic in that it's an entirely unsustainable system, but it's an entirely unsustainable system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Which is still better than having money taken from their pockets and not given back.

It's why paying people wages is better than having slaves. It creates demand.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 31, 2017

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
What's wrong with Belter creole?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Also America was fairly constrained in how it used its nuclear threat even when there wasn't a MAD situation and they had a monopoly on them.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

enraged_camel posted:

Um, the US planned to drop a dozen nukes on Japan. The only reason they didn't was because they wanted to make sure Japan understood that they had a lot of nukes, and spacing them out over the period of several days made a more lasting impression over the Japanese.

I meant after the war. They knew they couldn't keep threatening people with dropping the bomb if they didn't actually use it. And they knew they didn't want to use it, because they'd demilitarised in Europe a lot, and the Soviets hadn't.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Why can you have old lady, but not old man?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I mean I get why they did it. If you just had huge jets of flames engulf the casket and cut away, there can still be questions of whether they actually got rid of it.

But they really should have just gone with that and had those questions, because it would have been less dumb.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I think it was a normal grenade, but it caused something to gently caress up and allow the protomolecule monster to escape.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Yeah I definitely thought South African too.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
The best part of that escape is there's a regular old blue emergency light on the wall that they had to sci-fi up. It was hilarious.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 10, 2017

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
The only good thing about the belt is that they're not space libertarians.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I liked the spirit level they pretended was future sci-fi poison. Surprisingly effective prop.

Also did I miss the earlier episode's title card having protomolecule growths all over the planet, or was this episode's the first?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Open Source Idiom posted:

You mean the halo of blue stuff that's floating around the last planet in the opening credits? That's been there since the first season, though it got bluer in the second season's version.

Huh, guess I never noticed it.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Nah, there's really not much compelling about him at all. He feels like more of an archetype than a character. Pity.

Good thing there are a lot of other good characters to carry the show.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Look I realise I'm late to this, but if there's one actor that looks like Aaron Douglas it's the guy who played Frank Sabotka in The Wire.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

ORIGINAL CHARACTeR DO NOT STEAL!!1!

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Toast Museum posted:

Let's be fair, that character is also there to let us know that the authors read The Blind Watchmaker shortly before starting on the book.

I loving hate when you can notice poo poo like this. It usually shows the writer has a really limited pool of reference and needs to read a fuckload more before being allowed to write again.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Because that's a really regular thing you do when you picking up something awkward with your fingers? I guess it's a tall person thing?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I watched it for the first time 2 or 3 years ago and thought it was fairly :mediocre:

It's just way too easy to date it to the early 2000s and Iraq. Totally rips you out of the story. And I stopped watching it before the part everyone says it goes way off the rails, so I can't imagine how terrible the 3rd season onwards is.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Apr 19, 2017

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
When did Gaius show up on the Cylon ship? Because that's about where I stopped watching.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I had no idea it was the season finale until I came here. Definitely didn't feel like one.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
How do people in movies even fire wrist mounted guns? If they need to use their hands to pull the trigger there doesn't seem to be any benefit over a normal gun. Just a huge danger of shooting your own hand off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
She has those iron man rockets strapped to her back anyway. THAT would have been an impressive entrance to that room.

• Locked thread