Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

So I'm catching up on the thread and am a couple dozen pages behind but I just want to say that if this season doesn't end with the line "Hey, we need to talk." I'm going to be EXTREMELY upset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

fridge corn posted:

Anderson Dawes south London accent is ridiculous and I lol everytime

It sounds more South African than anything to me.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Snuffman posted:

Are they going to cut Prax's Go-fund-me campaign storyline and go straight to Io? I kind of hope so. The Kickstarter storyline was pretty dumb.

Yeah it was stupid but it set up the Prax/Amos heart-to-heart after his ex wife accused him of abusing Mei. I haven't seen the most recent episodes but it seems like that's getting cut which is a shame because I love that scene :(

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

AlternateAccount posted:

The cliffhanger is going to be BOOK SPOILER HOLY poo poo, IT'S ON THE SHIP.

To me at least the episode title "The Monster and the Rocket" is the obvious place for that to happen, and that's only the second-to-last episode. Still hoping against hope that the season cliffhanger is gonna be that line I mentioned earlier.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

It'd be 100% possible to track everything in the system with modern technology, much less whatever they've got a few centuries in the future. I think the way The Expanse gets around this is that the solar system is developed enough that it's easier and cheaper to track traffic via the transponders every ship has to have on at all times. Now, I'm 100% sure that Mars and the UN have back-up thermal and optical systems to track everything if they ever need it, but they're not constantly looking at the entire system 24/7 because why bother? During peacetime, as long as you can keep eyes on the other guy's naval bases to see what comes and goes that's enough.

Also, stealth ships in The Expanse are SUPER stealthy, like barely warmer than the background at all and a tiny little object that nobody would notice anyways. Chalk it up to REALLY good heat sinks or whatever, Atomic Rockets isn't the be all end all resource for what works and doesn't work in this imaginary universe.

E: Beaten

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 12, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I mean, I hope you're wrong but I know you're probably right. I still think it would make sense for them to rearrange the order of some things and end with "Hey, we need to talk." I think they'll lose a lot of audience interest and emotional investment in Miller if they wait an entire IRL year+ to bring him back, and Tom Jane is way too good an actor for that to happen to.

Swap the Io assault and the Ring activating, leave the season with Prax and Mei still unresolved and end with Proto-Miller as the cliffhanger.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Apr 13, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah it's a code shifting/class based thing. She talks like an inyalowda when she's around the Roci crew (and 90% of the major characters, really) because they're all Earthers/Martians. When we do get to see her around other Belters, especially later on in the books, she speaks the creole.

E:f,b

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Holden is definitely the weakest link, both in the show and the books. I feel like he's a pretty generic archetype for the other real characters to revolve around, and a sock puppet for the authors whenever they need him to initiate plot device or whatever instead of a person with his own motivations.

Also, Amos is the best.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Cojawfee posted:

How are Wes Chatham and Aaron Douglas not the same person? I was thinking he was the guy from Battlestar but that was Aaron Douglas.

Yeah I thought they were the same person at first glance. They're both perfect for the role, too - I wouldn't be surprised if Amos was partially inspired by the reboot's Chief Tyrol. Appearance-wise they're incredibly similar, at least.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I think it was mostly the multiple years it's been since I've watched BSG combined with the fact that they're both no-nonsense beefy white engineers around the same height with buzzcuts and beards

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Bobbie and Avasarala have both gotten incredibly better recently. I mean, Chrissie was already great but she's even better now, and Bobby has gone from "lovely caricature of a Marine" to "oh ok THERE'S the Bobby I know".

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah I bounced off after the first episode, too. It just seemed like a lovely YA novel/teen drama with a bit of sci-fi fluff around it. If you guys think it's worth it, though, I may give it another shot.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

The novels are 100% worth it, in my opinion. They're very well written and perfectly paced - great to just sit back and read for fun, especially if you like how the universe is harder than most. It's not deep, thought-provoking sci fi that's gonna make you rethink the universe, but it's a solid read.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah, the "guest" characters work fine in a book, but I'd rather see the show work with a more permanent cast. They've done a really good job with working Avasarala into the story as a more major character, and I hope they can do it with at least Bobby, as well. She shouldn't be too hard to work into most of the story later on, really, there are plenty of faceless mooks with guns that could become her or a spare bunk on the Roci she could fill.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

They invented an entire book's worth of stuff for Avasarala to do during Season 1/the first bit of 2. I'm sure they can do it again for her later/do it for other characters that would need it to stick around constantly.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

What a stupid place to end it. I know they're limited with how many episodes they get, but they could have cut and rearranged some stuff to end on something that's an actual climax/cliffhanger from the books. Super pissed it didn't end with (BOOK SPOILERS)the Investigator needing to talk.

E: Thinking some more, gently caress it they totally could have ended with that even without rearranging a thing. Just have it be triggered by the Arboghast instead of how it went in the books. Just plain stupid that they didn't do it.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

ATP_Power posted:

I'm not a huge fan with how they've decided to structure the seasons. It'll certainly be fine if you're watching the whole series once it's complete, but making the first few episodes of the season be the climax of the plots from the last season isn't good for watching it as it's released.

Yeah, that's my major problem. I think they budgeted their time badly with season 1 and now are trapped in this cycle of not having the proper climaxes in the seasons they belong to, and that can REALLY bite them later (if it hasn't already) because the cliffhangers only get bigger as the books ramp up. It doesn't look like they're gonna get all of book 3 in next season, but hopefully they can cut down book 4 to get back on track. If they keep up with this weird chronology the later books are gonna lose a LOT of their impact (no pun intended).

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 20, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Don't let that guy who was projecting about "broke brained murder waifus" super hard hear you say that, it'll just get him started again.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Spoil that poo poo. Also, if the show ended there, we wouldn't really have a show at all after season 3...

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah Holden is really just a bland and vaguely charismatic white dude for the interesting characters to orbit around. Nothing wrong with that, either, it's just what he is.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

That's possibly the most apt description I've ever heard. And not the good part of Seveneves, the lovely later bits.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Shohreh Aghdashloo but with greyish hair is basically exactly how I pictured Avasarala back when I first read the books, so I have no idea what you're talking about.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I think the problem with just shooting Holden and being done with it is that he always spooges his dumbassery across social media every time he feels even vaguely threatened so it would be a PR disaster. Even if his reactor just happened to "accidentally" lose containment with no warning while the Roci was out and about, he's already a minor celebrity so it would be a little suspicious.

Also, the major powers have way more important things to worry about for now, so I can understand putting Holden on the back burner to deal with the apocalyptic war that's brewing.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Then you get people complaining that Shohreh Aghdashloo doesn't look/sound Indian or whatever. It's impossible not to get complaints.

That said, whitewashing both Errinwright and the Secretary General IS kinda lovely.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Caliban is from Shakespeare's The Tempest. He's a half human beast-man that was produced by some unholy magic bullshit, and is kept enslaved by the powers of a wizard.

With that in mind it should be pretty obvious.

E:f,b

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Doresain posted:

In the books, Amos actually does fine in brothels? He talks about how it is an honest profession and he employs sex workers often without issues. Children are Amos's hangup - hurting children makes him real, real mad.

Also, what drug binges?

Yeah, the A Team does just fine whilst tearing it up portside.

I mean, they gamble all their money away, get drunk, and occasionally snort space coke off of strippers but... have you EVER seen a sailor on shore leave? As long as they aren't getting arrested for 13 different felonies at once it's pretty tame in comparison.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 30, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if Alex popped some focus drugs over the commercial break, but that's not exactly a character flaw/indicative of him being a binging addict. Just what people do in space.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Pretty sure I saw that in a preview somewhere?

E: Ah, just looked it up again and it was a "trailer" that was actually fan-made and just cut together scenes from the first two seasons

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Sep 15, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Elias_Maluco posted:

That's kinda what I said: the "alien-human-robot-guys" were humans who became synthetic after using the "soul upload" machine, whatever it was called (not sure about this one). The toasters (original robot Cylons) then made a pact with them to create human-cylons and these became the masters of the original robot cylons, kinda like the humans were before.

They even dumbed the toasters down so they would not think for themselves or something like that

I don't think the human models were masters, at least not originally, just infiltrators/diplomats. The more mechanical models definitely had just as much free will and intelligence as ever at the start of the war. It was later on (Season 3-ish?) that some of them got dumbed down, in fact the entire cause of the Cylon civil war was over whether or not to lobotomize the centurions/raiders.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I mean, they had "and they have a plan" at the opening of every single episode for, like, the entire run of the show. It isn't unfair to assume that the Cylons (and thus, the writers) have a plan based off that.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Clarke's third law

I never really have a problem with the hyper-advanced aliens doing borderline magic, of course they can break physics they've been working on it a few tens of thousands of years longer than we have. We've got plenty of stuff today that would look like bullshit impossible magic to a Bronze Age farmer. Hell, we've got stuff that would look like bullshit impossible magic to someone from a century ago, much less millenia. Why wouldn't aliens or far-future societies have stuff that looks like bullshit impossible magic to us?

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Sep 29, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

What's wrong with the Peaches arc? I kinda like her.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Milky Moor posted:

Bobbie going nuts on cucumber sandwiches is the best thing because it demonstrates how much more PATRIOTIC and EFFICIENT Martian food is than decadent and wasteful Terran vegetables

E: Wait this is the Expanse thread not the Aurora LP thread. Still works, though

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I like book Amos better than show Amos, but he's 100% supposed to come off as a sociopath either way because he, uh, is. He gets more character development later on, and he's definitely competing for second place in my character rankings (number one being an absolutely uncontested Avasarala, ofc).

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Invalid Validation posted:

Is Thomas Jane back this season cause I need me some Joe the rear end Crusher Miller back into this show?

He cratered into Venus at an appreciable fraction of c, I doubt he'll be back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I thought we were playing along for the people who hadn't read the books :ssh:

• Locked thread