Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Guys.

Guys.

Calm down and enjoy the ride or else you all will loving have an aneurysm soon. Like maybe tomorrow.

Let go of your preconceived notions or biases or expectations and let Space Jesus take the wheel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I am however disappointed in how the show handles the protomolecule, and subsequently the Eros infection/broadcasts and protogen station.

1. The station was supposed to be more hard fought at least. I was hoping to see the fighting on the ring as described, where dudes were firing from elevated positions since the whole station was literally an uphill battle

1a. Dresden was supposed to be some suit who thinks himself above the OPA people taking the station. He's apathetic and dismissive, smug and superior. Not really in the show.

2. The protomolecule stuff was supposed to be more like fleshy and organic. Like some real horror poo poo. Vomit zombies. Moving torsos. Spines and bones like rafters. Columns of flesh with fused bodies. I understand it's TV. Wish it was on HBO.

2a. The broadcasts! It's supposed to be moans and screams and eventually insane murmurs, voices, repeating words and phrases, whispers.

I was really looking forward to "DON'T YOU loving TOUCH ME" but they changed it to just a screech when the Nauvoo was about to impact.

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Feb 21, 2017

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
2300AD is a hard sci fi rpg

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
So when does the new episode come out

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

10pm on a Wednesday? Do they get viewers?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Started reading book 2 in anticipation of tonight's episode and it's pretty baller

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

I wonder why they totally eliminated the horror aspect of the protomolecule. The inside of Eros is a complete loving nightmare hellscape in the book, not a pretty glowing crystally thing. Good episode anyway.

Because it's on TV.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Evernoob posted:

TV is trying to recover from a zombie overdose. That's why.

If Earth is so severely overpopulated with most ppl living on Basic. Why are we only seeing the top 1% in their luxurious villa's?
I think the "poorest" people we've seen so far in their home were Holden's kibbutz parents. I want to see the slums or arcologies or whatever they've built to house 30bil people.

I've only read book 1 but they imply Earth standard of living is very high but I could be wrong

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

VagueRant posted:

What DID Fred do with Earth's nukes? Wonder if you'd be tempted to hit Venus with them JUST to make sure.

Also PROMOTIONAL SPOILERS: ep 6 (or more, since it says COMING WEEKS?) promo!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytq693c3xVw
Looking pretty hype.

Wow getting started early with the book 2 stuff

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Did they drop the whole legitimize the OPA thing?

Holden or Johnson haven't once talked about negotiations or "getting a seat at the table"

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
That was probably one of the best episodes of TV ever.

If we don't die....that'll be interesting

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Crushing rear end to dust takes a grim meaning when you realize Belter girls probably don't have the strongest pelvic bones

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

SimonChris posted:

Why did Protogen attack the Donnager in the first place? What were they planning on doing with if they had taken it?

Steal Martian Intel and kill Holden et al.

The attack was supposed to be a false flag to bring Mars vs. The Belt

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

gohmak posted:

I'm gonna miss the Roci drone. gently caress those MSF guys for taking it out.

The drone got CQBd

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Anybody know what rpg they actually played

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

OB_Juan posted:

I'd guess Traveller or d20 modern. Maybe a no-magic Shadowrun?

I suspect 2300AD because it shares a lot of similarities like a super efficient engine mixed with hard sci fi

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I just learned this is a 13 episode season

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I like how the entire premise of Eros and JulieMaolicule is that the protomolecule was designed to reprogram single cell organisms and build from there. The PM freaked the gently caress out when it encountered multicellular life and incorporated Julie into its biological computer system.

You can tell this when Julie says "Can't stop the work" when Miller wants her to stop. She's still influenced by the protomolecule's original programming to seed a planet with the Alien biotech colony thingy

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I fuckin love this franchise

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I just saw the new episode. Pretty clear book v show split in the context of the audience reaction

Meaning show only peeps are a tad impatient and need to trust the process. Good things will come

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I mean I wish they followed the books but I can see why they're gonna do what they're gonna do and add drama between Thorsson and Bobbie.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm like 1/3 through book 2 and it is good

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Prax, when the mirror fell

Wendell, his arms wide

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

gohmak posted:

Havlock and Millar at te aqua

Miller in space.

Julie in space.

Miller and Julie, on Eros.

Diogo, he crush rear end to dust.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder why they're changing so much. Are they cutting the monster/prax/Ganymede or are they mixing things up to add drama for TV and save Ganymede for later in the season

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Open Source Idiom posted:

Oh come on. How hard is it to use spoiler tags.

Literally everything I've said happened in the show except Prax, who has been revealed as a new character for months and apparently in the new promo which I didn't see.

By Ganymede I meant the Ganymede battle which happened off screen and seems to have been cut entirely.

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 10, 2017

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Book Bobbie is way better imho

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'll say again: book bobbie good

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

el dingo posted:

Spoiler that poo poo man cmon

The Expanse takes place in space

Awwww poo poo spoilers

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It's such a shame they cut Yojimbo

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The show likes to create a lot of unnecessary drama. In the books they resolve stuff like landing at Tycho for the first time and Bobbie's debrief very quickly and painlessly.

Thorsson/Bobby and Fred/Holden were way too suspicious of eachother for no reason in the show

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

enraged_camel posted:

But Cortazar isn't even in the books, right? So the incongruence of Holden's behavior can't really be blamed on the books, at least for that particular scene.

(I never read the books so I don't know.)

I've just finished book 2 and I can say so far they're pretty good regardless of what he says.

To their credit they handle a lot of situations in less dumb and dramatic ways.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I guess the OPA isn't as scrappy Hezbollah in space anymore because after Eros they should be a legitimate governing force in the system.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

gohmak posted:

We book readers know that the historical anolog for the OPA is the Taliban :D

The first book described the OPA as Hamas directly

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Number Ten Cocks posted:

You completely misunderstood my real objections to Castro. Which was my intent, but I'm not a TVIV regular and thought goons were more sophisticated over here. It's always nice when a long shot pays off.

In the books Amos is trolling everyone with the allied psychopath routine and he's actually just a gender studies major who ran from his student loans and picked up spaceship engineering as a hobby while converting his passion for SJW campus politics into casual murder.

fool you revealed yourself as a chump

if you truly were a sophisticated man of the arts you would know that there are no student loans on Earth circa 2350 as one must work for a year to gain work credit for admittance into university

lo, if you can see beyond your curved brow, you knuckledragging imbecile, the hole in your ways and the folly of your smooth brain

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

ATP_Power posted:

Solomon Epstein was the Boss, Earth is Zero, Mars is Big Boss and the Belt is Les Enfants Terribles.

no no no no no

Miller was Big Boss and Holden was Ocelot

Fred Johnson was Miller

Miller was Miller

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Clumsy real-world analogies aside, I do love how the show/setting is so progressive and post-racial but in the shittiest way imaginable.

You have all these groups where nobody cares what gender, colour, sexuality you are, everybody's pulling together for the goals of their community.

It just happens to be those goals are to gently caress over the neighbouring planet. Humanity hasn't moved past prejudice, it just got bored of it's old ones and replaced them with planetism instead.

The whole show walks this fine line between being darkly cynical and joyously uplifting, and it's brilliant.

Its almost like its exactly like how the Global North fucks with the Global South

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

gohmak posted:

No seriously. What is stereotypical African American Vernacular English?

I'm black, grew up in Harlem and live in Atlanta. I don't see a lick of slang continuity aside from "nigga"

Its like a stereotype holdover in white cultural memory. Think "airplane" and "speaking jive" aka its bullshit

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Platystemon posted:

He’s the Butcher of Anderson Station, specifically.

It was an incident from his time in the UN Navy.

He led an assault on a station full of striking miners. They were trying to surrender, but Johnson’s superiors never told him.

The UN gave him a medal, but he quit is disgust.

reads like a metal gear subtitle description of a character

A HERO DISGRACED, TURNED TO REBELLION

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

So why was Johnson so pissed off with Holden at the end? That seemed pretty out of left-field. They had one disagreement about the feasibility of going to Ganymede. Hardly seems like the thing that would push him into revoking their right to dock at the station.

It was dumber in the book dont complain

• Locked thread