Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Platystemon posted:

Someone upthread said “if the Martian navy burns at 1 g for training, can’t the UN navy burn at 1.5 g and become beastly super soldiers?”

Not without a lot of joint injuries and cardiovascular problems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Platystemon posted:

This is how you start an abortion debate.

This would not have happened if the protomolocule had a gun

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

R-Type posted:

Cutty is going to be loving pissed that his big Mormon bullet couldn't impact a regular asteroid orbit . Predicting they shoot him in the leg. At least they can recover the ship or take another attempt at diverting Eros. Like close at slow speed, press and steer it with superior thrust.

Were you paying attention?

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Launching stuff into the sun is really hard, you basically have to reduce the orbital velocity of Eros to zero.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

welp time to fire up kerbal space program again

I don't think you can use planets for reverse gravity assists, none of them have retrograde orbits.

Edit: well, enough to have it fall into the sun. You can use them to decelerate.

Smiling Jack fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 20, 2017

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

They don't have to stop Eros, just slow it down enough that it's orbit falls into the sun eventually.

Which is basically zero

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Short version: you need to gently dock with the giant rear end space rock and then burn your engines in a retrograde orbit until it falls into the sun

Any collision strong enough to make the velocity change would be catastrophic and lead to the destruction / fracturing / partial vaporization of Eros

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Phi230 posted:

Guys.

Guys.

Calm down and enjoy the ride or else you all will loving have an aneurysm soon. Like maybe tomorrow.

Let go of your preconceived notions or biases or expectations and let Space Jesus take the wheel.

Let us nerds have fun

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

Docking a ship to Eros then accelerating it to the Sun is stupid because that leaves a bunch of time for UN/MCRN ships to investigate and get contaminated with the protomolecule. Not everything is about energy efficiency. :colbert:

The amount of energy needed to do it through collision would probably vaporize Eros

Somebody with more nerd ability than me please express the amount of energy needed in megatons, TIA

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Minimum required to fall into the sun.

Still a staggeringly large amount of energy to transfer in a collision

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Now I don't know if this was discussed but don't you really need to only put Eros into a decaying orbit rather than dropping its angular velocity to 0? Isn't that a much smaller delta V investment?

Obviously from a narrative perspective that would have given Earth and the MCRN plenty of time to land on the asteroid and get protomoleculed so it wouldn't have worked regardless but... isn't it correct?

Orbital decay is caused by interaction with atmosphere. Eros isn't orbiting anything with an atmosphere that would decay the orbit.

Other forces that cause orbital decay are too weak to be effective within a realistic timeframe.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I can just see the DM now: "okay so you just rolled a natural 20 on your crazy plan to ram Eros. You know what? Eros moved."

"What?"

"EROS loving MOVED I GOT A WHOLE SCENARIO PLANNED OUT HERE AND YOU FUCKERS ARENT RUINING IT"

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I ran a Twilight 2000 campaign that started off as a fairly simple "escape Germany" plot and ended two years later with my players dropping napalm on lovecraftian horrors in a secret MilGov base in a trailer park from a blimp

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

The Aliens Colonial Marines tech manual had a pretty good hard SF take on space combat

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

As someone who once murdered an important NPC I can see how this all played out

Edit: I once had a low level PC attempt to take on Darth loving Vader in single combat during a campaign, players do dumb poo poo.

I killed his character of course.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Mr Robot seemed pretty shallow but I only got about three episodes into it, does it get better?

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Xealot posted:

I'll have to check out Blindsight, but it sounds a little like Solaris in premise.

It's not

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

jfood posted:

I know what happens... so you can lay off the 'I R bookposter' poo poo. The showrunners have made some good changes so far, tossing Bobbie out an airlock would just continue with that tradition.

Serious question, is the fact the fact these broke-brain valkyries are mentally ill make it easier for you guys to fantasize about the pretend space-ladies touching your junk? Is that the reason for their popularity?

drat son step away from the screen and get some fresh air

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

jfood posted:

What exactly are the internally developed motivations and emotional content of the character? There aren't any. It's external factors all the way down.

Trying to equate that with actual femisist ideology is laughable, cuz she ain't even a person let alone a woman. Just a collection of parts stitched together.

But hey, you can wank to it, so grind on that defensive line as hard as you can.

You have issues

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Uh Pakistan has no nuclear armed or nuclear powered subs last I checked

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Holy poo poo that's amazing

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Kingtheninja posted:

It's me, the guy who doesn't get the joke but asks for everyone who won't.

Gerry Adams is both a PIRA terrorist and a the head of the political wing of the PIRA, Sinn Fein.

The PIRA used time bombs to kill a lot of people.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

oh boy here we go

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

OMGVBFLOL posted:

It's been mentioned that martian marines train extensively throughout their careers at 1g. It wouldn't be a new experience at all to Draper.

Book Draper and several other characters realize that training at 1g and living at 1g are very different things.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

OMGVBFLOL posted:

right, but having her struggle to walk across a room would be silly

Agreed.

I imagine the cumulative effect over several days would lead to fatigue, both from physical exertion and sleep disruption.

When you think about it 1 earth g is 3 Martian g, simple poo poo like breathing while sleeping becomes three times as hard.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

NmareBfly posted:

I think background detail and stuff the show has definitely moved past is fine, but stuff like this from a page back is no bueno:

(wasn't originally spoiled.) Like, it's not a huge plot detail revealed by any stretch but it's unquestionably something the show hasn't gotten to yet. This, to me, is a dick move. Book readers drop in on discussions about the future of the show with an authoritative air that can totally rub people the wrong way because it short circuits fun discussion.

Also in general don't be a dingleberry about it and if someone says 'hey you shoulda spoilered that' maybe edit your post, it's not that drat hard. Calling it out just tends to draw attention to it and make it worse, though. Someone is gonna bitch at me for quoting the above, I bet. :shrug:

This is pants on head idiotic and if you consider that a spoiler you're a loving idiot smdftb

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

get a loving life jfc

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

They aren't here to talk about the show they're here to pedantically complain about incredibly minor poo poo and go full :tinfoil: :psyduck: about things that may or may not happen in the show

In short, :wtc:

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

The most amazing thing people have missed is that post-Eros Amos is literate but pre-Eros Amos can't read. This is also why Brad Pitt was considered for the role of Amos.

To be fair, PreAmos hides his illiteracy from th other characters, and by extension the viewers, very well.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Finally saw the episode, the whole martians are little bitches on Earth theme was a way bigger deal in the show than I remember from the books

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

counterfeitsaint posted:

I'm kinda surprised the Martian Embassy isn't like packed full of soldiers living and training there all the time.

The show actually goes a bit more in depth than the books, there's a big difference between training there, living there, and growing up there, as referenced by the magic bone density pills (which I guess are either hideously expensive or have massive long term side effexts or all the Martians would take them)

The idea that Bobby can't function there in a combat situation isn't correct, as both the Martians and Earthers use power armor. Earth Space Marines would suffer from lesser, but significant effects on physiology from extended low / zero G environments. Power armor equalizes the playing field and allows your forces to wreck poo poo even after suffering muscle loss and bone atrophy.

The show has Bobby and crew doing a lot of maintenance and fitting on those suits which implies that they are difficult to maintain and fitted to the user. I imagine they are also pretty expensive.

Some of the embassy guards seem to be wearing the power suits.

Smiling Jack fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Mar 24, 2017

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Going back to gravity differences, in the first episode Avasarala tortures a Belter by forcing him to stand up, and comments that one gravity is literally killing him.

Keep in mind that all the Belter characters (including Naomi and Miller) are supposed to look like that guy- Belters are so different from "normal" humans that Earthers treat them like another species entirely.

Gravity differences would show up in other ways as well. In Arthur C Clarke's 2010, one character who lived on the moon for a long time breaks both legs jumping from a second story balcony- this is normal in Lunar gravity, and despite knowing the difference intellectually, he does it reflexively as jumping down twenty feet is normal on the moon. Something as simple as walking up the stairs would require significant attention as your feet aren't going to be where you expect them to be. Keeping your balance would be difficult, running nearly impossible.

This works in both directions, going from high g to low and vice versa. Special effects budgets limit it on screen but martians or lunies or belters on low g stations should be seen bouncing down hallways and caroming around corners like parkour practitioners on crack cocaine while Earthers would have to concentrate on walking down the hall without accidentally jumping five feet in the air.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

It wasn't a mafia. they were wearing Star Helix uniforms, who were the private police organization Miller worked for.

It implies society has broken down to the extent the security forces went from providing security, to skimming supplies, to straight "gently caress this we're outta here" levels of anarchy.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Baronjutter posted:

I was going to ask when belters are going to start getting their hands chopped off for not meeting ice quotas but that's pretty much the opening scene in the series.

The Belgian Congo has been inspiring SF writers for decades :allears:

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

AirborneNinja posted:

One of the books mentioned how hard it is for earthers/martians to keep up with a belter on the float.

Not just the float, it would also show up on Mars / Luna / Eros etc

First time you tried to run you'd find yourself jumping ten feet in the air.

https://youtu.be/HKdwcLytloU

Keep.in mind that suit weighs 180lbs.

Smiling Jack fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Mar 25, 2017

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Number Ten Cocks posted:

:eng101:

No it doesn't. It masses 81.6 kg and weights around 30 lbs.

Pretty sure the A7L weighs about 180-200lbsand sources back me up.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo/Skylab_A7L

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Uh... In that video, it does not weigh 180-200 lbs.

That's why the distinction between weight and mass exists.

:thejoke:

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Uh... In that video, it does not weigh 180-200 lbs.

That's why the distinction between weight and mass exists.

:thejoke:

My point is that the suit weighs 180lbs in earth gravity, so keep that in mind when watching the video.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It wouldn't be worth it unless you were going to Earth. Bone density is loss is a serious concern of any long term space mission in the current day.

Yes, which is why they should be taking magic bone pill on Mars as well but they aren't.

Unless magic bone pill is only effective at higher G... Okay that makes sense

Anyway NASA did a year long study on a pair of twins, https://www.google.com/amp/amp.space.com/35527-nasa-astronaut-twins-study-early-results.html

This was a one year study conducted on adults, imagine the differences if one of them had been born and raised in a low g environment.

Born and raised in a zero g environment would be :wtc: if it's even possible

Smiling Jack fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 25, 2017

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I think being raised at 1g and then living on Mars would have health advantages that outweigh the disadvantages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Not that Star Helix is a shining beacon of integrity, but they could have just been wearing the Star Helix uniforms as a pretense for boarding ships.

Still a significant indication of societal breakdown

• Locked thread