Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Bobbie is so hardcore anti-earth I don't see how everyone who has to deal with her on a daily basis isn't straight up rolling their eyes at her the whole time.

edit: also, nice cuts on the f-bombs, SciFi!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Platystemon posted:

The version I watched had an Avasarala F‐bomb.

There was more than one F-Bomb dropped in that episode, but both were edited out so that you only heard the 'Fff'

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

flosofl posted:

She's also slouched over in that picture.

She's also in a 2.5-3" heel.

Phy posted:

she's actually kind of enormous. Once she starts interacting with the main cast members instead of other Martian marines, there's lots of camera tricks they can use to play up her physicality, too.

The only thing that makes sense (to me) is that she started filming the show while trying to gain weight. She seems thicker in some shots in the 2 episode premiere than others. I realize her skin tight suit looks slimming, but not that much.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

grilldos posted:

This is part of why the Thoth Invasion felt so off at the end of it, too. The invasion in the book was half an infantry battle and half Miller discovering the truth of that station, Dresden, and coming to a personal epiphany about who he is and what the system has become. There's none of the personal reflection in that scene. It's just action, baby! I'm fine with pure action, they gave it to us with the ship battle. So where's the character-driven emotional payoff I'd grown accustomed to with Season 1?

I'm nearly certain that the whole reason behind Miller straight up capping the dude is so the writers can keep tension between him and the Rocinante crew.

LinkesAuge posted:

I guess part of the problem is that people imagine a female soldier that is basically built like a very strong man but in reality even extremely strong woman just don't look as imposing, that's just biology.

No problem here. I never read the books. Could care less about them. She doesn't have to look strong and imposing at all, as far as I'm concerned- unless the show goes out of its way to make her seem imposing (it hasn't) then it isn't an issue at all.

But since people brought up comparisons between her looks in the show and how she's described in the books, yea, there's a huge difference.

It still doesn't make a difference as far as the show goes.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Dancer posted:

Bioinformatics is a legit thing, but "nanoinformatics" sounds like they just picked up some random-sounding prefix and stuck it there. It's the application of computational tools to... really small things :v: . That kinda happens a lot already, and will keep on happening. Xenobioinformatics might have worked. But yes, language is not necessarily always logical and unambiguous and it is

This is a Science Fiction show that takes place in the future.

Edit: So uh, that's awkward. They just gonna give the Nauvoo back then?

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Feb 16, 2017

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Phobophilia posted:

Johnson finally pulled off some real gravitas: stealing his client's ship is going to destroy his business, but so be it. He sees the hard choice and makes it with no hesitation.

Not sure if the addition of Erasmus was the greatest idea. Holden's character development got pushed forward when he killed a mostly innocent med team, but the stated reason for killing them immediately didn't make sense,

Based on the entirety of the Erasmus scenes, I think they're full of poo poo. I don't think they were really a med team at all.

It sure won't change the fact that (even if I'm right) Holden and crew won't know it.

Regardless, the Rocinante is still pretty incognito. If med team goes out and tells the world that there's this fake Martian spaceship flying around threatening to kill them and gently caress with Eros: that's bad news. Even worse if said med team was legit and tells the world 'Hey there's this super disease going around' without knowing what Johnson and Rocinante crew knows.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 16, 2017

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

It is spelled 'molecule'

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Last few minutes of the episode were a little tough to follow because the audio was out of sync.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

The Belt is Mongolia, Dawes is Genghis Khan, the Protomolecule is the Golden Horde, Mars is Asia and Earth is Eastern Europe.

Also Holden is alright but as the series goes on, it seems the actor who plays him doesn't have the gravitas or credibility to pull it off.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I am a monster and whenever Drummer is on screen I keep staring at what I think her boobs are because it looks like they hang down to the bottom of her rib cage.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

He was acting funny to me but I thought the gist of the conversation he had with the scientist was:

Amos: hey you broke brained?
Scientist: yup
Amos: can it be reversed?
Scientist: nope
Amos (thinking): gently caress, probably means no hope for me either

I was under the impression that Amos' moral compass was funky from the start, and there's no real event that happened to him recently where he'd be like ”ok let's go all out with this poo poo now”

He got a lot more personable lately, which is why the most recent mood swing is noticable

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I wanted to pull out clips of Chrisjen talking but apparently all of The Expanse episodes are copy protected on Tivo so I gave up.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Grand Fromage posted:

So I'm listening to the podcast and the authors just said the people we saw this episode are NOT on Basic, they are unregistered. The guy on the med school waiting list may be an exception who's there trying to help.

Why did it take a podcast to clarify this? I thought it was clear as day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I liked the gravity assist scenes and I was also OK with how the coffin was vaporized because it is a science fiction TV show and sometimes science fictiony things happen.

• Locked thread