Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

drat, that was a great start to the season. It's been years since I read the first 2 books and with how much the show is moving things around in the timeline, I'm constantly being surprised by stuff which is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

grilldos posted:

And finally, Thoth Station's invasion, specifically Miller's scenes once it's boarded, feels off. This is the one scene where all of the problems of this season premiere show themselves. You get the sense that, what, there are like 10 people on the station? That station is loving huge, and the direction does nothing to really give you a sense of the space. It feels like a set, in the way that (another Syfy show, one that is not good) Dark Matter's station sets feel like a set. The blocking is weird and without motivation for anyone other than Tom Jane, and when his invasion lackies shoot up the Matrix folks with hundreds of bullets, they're all facing eachother in a big circle and should have shot eachother up. Badly. Tom Jane also wanders around and immediately finds exactly what he is looking for, Dresden, one room over, on a station that is loving Gigantic, according to the ship fight that the viewer just saw minutes before. Dresden's rant feels less like the pointed words of a charismatic sociopath and more like an actor just spewing out lines quickly.

This scene reeks of bad direction from the start to the end, because the director simply went by the plot, which is the sign of a lovely director. The boarding party breaks in, kid gets shot, Miller notices gel, scolds his men, they find weird people, the weird people get mad, they shoot the weird people, Miller leaves everyone alone for some reason, he finds Dresden, Holden and Johnson show up, Dresden says insane poo poo, Miller shoots Dresden. All of this happens, and the director does nothing on his own accord to make any of it feel earned or the least bit realistic in physical flow. poo poo happens because it was written to happen.

I'll agree on the point that the station did seem pretty small and yeah they found exactly what they were looking for pretty quick. I'm guessing that was part of what you said that they wanted to make sure they got the station invasion in the premiere. If they had of had more time I imagine it could have been improved.

A minor point but I can't remember if it was from the book or even from The Expanse, but I recall them describing the bullets they use as having certain special properties. Those being that they're not all that powerful and they shatter on impact causing them to stay in the body and prevent ricochets so there's no chance of breaching a hull. Like I said, that might not even be from this series but it would be a pretty obvious precaution to take with your weaponry when you're fighting on space ships and space stations.

*I don't really think it's a spoiler but better to be safe. Just an explanation for what happened on Thoth.*
As for Dresden's speech and Miller shooting him, that all seemed well done to me. Dresden knows he has a high chance of being killed by these people, so he makes his case as fast as possible. I don't necessarily see his character as a "charismatic sociopath". The sociopath part yes, but I didn't get any indication that he's supposed to be a "charismatic, commanding or terrifying" person. He's just a scientist whose completely obsessed with the proto-molecule. In his mind he's not evil and the deaths of a few thousand belters is meaningless compared to the rewards of the PM. He just has to make them understand and fast. As soon as Miller see's that Johnson is buying into his poo poo he acts. If he waits another minute it might be too late. The second Johnson gets the place secured with his people in charge, there's no way Miller's ever going to get another chance. Killing whoever was in charge of what happened to Julie and to a lesser extant the rest of Eros, was literally his only goal. I'm pretty sure he even says that at some point earlier in the episodes.

I thought it was a strong opening to the season.

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

NowonSA posted:

Also, the more I think about it the more it bugs me that Miller shot Dresden so early. Like, he could see the writing on the wall that Johnson would be willing to cut a deal with him, maybe even let him continue his work, but Johnson was also making it clear he'd have to be told by Dresden who all the players are, and if Miller wants revenge he ought to wait until Dresden says at least that much, or get him to cough that info up right away and then shoot him.

In this episode he's like "Naw man I just cut off one head of the snake" and I'm thinking dude, you could have found out all the heads and been right on track to go get 'em!

I think us as the viewers are a lot more trusting of Fred Johnson than your average belter though. We've seen his back story, but to most people he's the guy who defected from Earth after slaughtering a station full of innocent belters. I think Miller see's that Dresden's basically just convinced Johnson to let him live and to keep the program running and just acts. Yah it's not the smartest move, they could've learned who's actually running the project, but Miller's not about to trust "The Butcher of Anderson Station" with a program / weapon that's already killed a few thousand on Eros.

That and like someone said, Miller's pretty much just out for some self destructive revenge.

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

Platystemon posted:

Some exist, but why would you live there when you can live on Earth, Luna, or a Jovian/Cronian moon?

https://fat.gfycat.com/EqualGaseousEquine.mp4

They sure love their floor windows on Eros.

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm sorry for revealing that something doesn't happen. I'll be more careful about that in the future.

[spoiler]Miller doesn't turn into a magical unicorn.[/spioler]

Don't be a tool. Saying something doesn't happen can be just as much a spoiler as revealing that something does. If you can't understand that, I don't know what to say.

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Fringe taught me to treat Jared Harris characters as villains, and I'll be doing the same here. gently caress Dawes :colbert:

But he's such a friendly loving father in The Crown! Jared Harris is a seriously awesome actor.

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

My local Canadian space channel puts the episodes up free on their website like a week or so after they air. I don't have TV or any sort of subscription to their channel, but I can click and watch them without paying a dime. It's of course also possible to torrent them the moment the episode has finished airing live. In Canada those are my only 2 options and neither of them give any money to the show.

I'd love to support the show in some actual financial sense though. But I'm not signing up for a cable package. Short of putting something like $2 per episode in an envelope and a "thank u for space show" and writing "To: The expanse" on the envelope I don't know what options there are.

If you're watching the same ones on the Space Channel website like me, then they do have ads before it starts and I think at the usual commercial break spots. Not sure if adblocker blocks them but I turned it off for the whole domain. I know what you mean though, I just want to give them my money some way other than getting a cable subscription which I'm not going to do.

edit - It's too bad they don't have something like pay a few dollars and be able to watch it at the same time it airs.

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

Benagain posted:

I have so much respect for that actress for so many reasons, but one of the best things is how at the drop of a hat she can just exude power.

I never got why people liked Avasarala in the books so much. I didn't dislike her really but the whole "grandma with an attitude" never really did it for me. Shohreh Aghdashloo's take on her though has made her probably my favourite character on the show. Every scene with her is amazing. That whole interview scene with Bobbie was great.

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

Smiling Jack posted:

Yes, which is why they should be taking magic bone pill on Mars as well but they aren't.

Unless magic bone pill is only effective at higher G... Okay that makes sense

Anyway NASA did a year long study on a pair of twins, https://www.google.com/amp/amp.space.com/35527-nasa-astronaut-twins-study-early-results.html

This was a one year study conducted on adults, imagine the differences if one of them had been born and raised in a low g environment.

Born and raised in a zero g environment would be :wtc: if it's even possible

That study was specifically for the effect of micro gravity on humans though. We still don't know how much gravity is required to prevent those kind of negative effects (vision impairment, bone density and muscle loss etc). That's because we've never had humans living in a low g environment for longer than Apollo 17 which was about 3 days. There was a Centrifuge Module proposed for the ISS to study that but it was cancelled. That's also another reason some people want to see a long term lunar mission, so we can see what the effects of low g (0.16 of earths on the moon) on the human body.

It could turn out that living in low g isn't all that bad for you.

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

Smiling Jack posted:

Forearm mounted weapons are bad and dumb, people have wrists and hands for a reason.

I've always just gone with the assumption that they'd be way better than a normal weapon in low to zero g combat. Not having to carry a rifle while you're crawling through some ship's corridors in zero g seems like a big advantage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

They just wrapped up shooting last weekend and the cast has been bigging up the SFX guys, so they are a ways into post-production. I would guess March at the earliest, late summer at the outside.

I heard they were filming season's 3 and 4 at the same time, so I'm hoping spring at the latest.

• Locked thread