Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Phi230 posted:

They are all good except book 4

Ah poo poo, I just started that one :[ Is it bad bad bad or just bad in comparison?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Honestly, the book 3 crazy supervision out of nowhere seems like it would be eh TV at best. The crew doesn't seem to have a lot of agency in that book and there's not enough good character conflict to continue the pattern of the show.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Snuffman posted:

"Abbadon's Gate"? I could see it making great TV akin to Battlestar's half-season arcs. I trust the show writers, they know what they're doing.

I do, too. We will see how they manage.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
BSG is baaaaaaaaaad. Real bad.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Baronjutter posted:

Everyone in BSG was such a broken PTSD rage/drama machine that got stuck turned up to 11 I just couldn't enjoy it, and the series-wide plot was awful. There's some good episodes, the occupation stuff was pretty good but seems dated and post 9/11 as gently caress, and after that point it went unwatchably off the rails with characters managing to turn their single dimensional extreme caricatures of them selves up to 12.

This. It's so horrifically dated and suffers really badly from being transparently FOR TV writing. The allegories are hamfisted and the characters are one-note walking taglines. And it became clear just a few episodes in that there wasn't any kind of decent plan, but that was par for the course for that era of TV, I think. The Expanse is clearly Going Somewhere.

General Battuta posted:

But it hasn't found a spark yet. It competently executes a good story. The characters have motives which they explain clearly, and conflicts between these motives drive the story. It is Fine. It hasn't achieved anything like Walter White screaming in the crawlspace, or Where The gently caress is Wallace, or the dream fish in The Sopranos, or BSG's first episode, or BSG's music, or any of the high points of BSG's first two seasons. It's a good product. It's not a star yet.

This might be fair. The Expanse has TONS of little, awesome moments, but they mostly depend on context. The examples you give are something that you could show someone in a vacuum and they would realize pretty immediately they they are watching something really good. I dunno, though, Home might be flirting with it a little. But yeah, fair to say it's 99% entertaining but workmanlike, efficient television.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Crazycryodude posted:

What a stupid place to end it. I know they're limited with how many episodes they get, but they could have cut and rearranged some stuff to end on something that's an actual climax/cliffhanger from the books. Super pissed it didn't end with (BOOK SPOILERS)the Investigator needing to talk.

E: Thinking some more, gently caress it they totally could have ended with that even without rearranging a thing. Just have it be triggered by the Arboghast instead of how it went in the books.

Yeah. That's going to be an awesome moment.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Good finale. Not great, but certainly good.

Shirtless Amos will keep me motivated to go to the gym for at least a couple of months, geez. no homo

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
So how long is the wait? Start the clock.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Strategic Tea posted:

With how the MCRN ship plummeted past with it's thrusters flat out off I figured it had already been taken over by the protomolecule to dissect first.

For being a non-book thing, that ship was just generally a weird dud of a superfluous plot thread.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Zzulu posted:

I liked the season and thought it was much better than S1, but the climax of the season for me was Miller/Julie. That was wonderfully weird and cool. Kinda feel it lost a bit of steam after that, no doubt because of no more Miller. Avasarala and Bobbi make up for it though but Bobbi only really had like one or two good scenes

Yeah, the books kinda do this to. Each has a pretty severe tonal shift. Not necessarily bad, but it's going to make for some weird television. It MIGHT kind of be good. Broad-scale galaxy threatening stuff would get tired after a while. Smaller scale challenges are interesting.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Wait, did shirtless Amos have any tattoos on his chest?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Number Ten Cocks posted:

I don't think so. It's hard to see how they'd even go about applying a photorealistic temporary tattoo.

True to the books.

CG? It's just mentioned EVERYTIME someone sees him shirtless in the books.

And yeah, you guys are kinda mean to Holden in this thread, but the books are kinda merciless.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Baronjutter posted:

You guys have pretty much spoilered it, but I've always wanted Chrissie to finally meet the crew face to face, and watch them finally interact. I guess that's coming somehow. She's finally in space, I guess they rescue her or something?

Caliban's War book stuff For sure, but it's not 100% like the books. They end up working together though to wrap up the overarching plot line of Book 2.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Is this gonna be the thread for a year?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Should we compile a list of plot hooks that have been setup but never resolved?

- Fancy self-healing armor from S1 when the Donnager is under siege. Might have just been a throwaway.\
- I can't remember, wasn't the chip Fred Johnson took from Lopez's armor something to do with stealth tech?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Pander posted:

Which I enjoyed and feel is worth reading. It is not at all required to enjoy the show, it just adds a wrinkle and is good on its own merits.

I read it and thought it was terrrrruble. A total boring slog. They really salvaged the corn out of that turd for the show.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

AirborneNinja posted:

Will there be a new thread for the next season?

If it hasn't already materialized, I will crank one out once we get an actual premiere date.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Iirc, seasons 3 and 4 are being shot consecutively.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Can I be a pedant and say that Amos is definitely not a sociopath? He’s got a very strong sense of right and wrong for example. He’s just got a very short flowchart with very few possible outcomes for dealing with things that is what he had to develop to survive.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Amos has just developed a way to fit every situation into a “Kill, Marry(or become incredibly loyal to), gently caress”

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Link to a page that contains the trailer, if the Canuckistanis still can't see it, holler and we'll find another: http://deadline.com/2018/02/the-expanse-season-3-premiere-date-unveils-trailer-1202301438/

I'll start up a Season 3 thread this week sometime unless someone beats me to it, which is fine.

edit: Also, the trailer shows basically nothing except the cast and Holden talking over it, so if you need an auditory sleep aid...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
OK, season 3 thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3851148

• Locked thread