Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Maybe someone should model this scenario in KSP and demonstrate what can go wrong? Orbital physics is way over my head, so count me out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

I don't get why they had to change up the Ganymede battle and Bobby's reaction so much.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

I really love how much they're letting Avasarala be Avasarala this season.

She might be my favorite character.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

I loved the grenade scene. The sound effects immediately afterward tell the whole story. That plus Alex's "I just figured I would show up and rescue you."

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

But, in the expanse there are super efficient fusion drives and stealth in space. That's the rules of the show.

In the first book (and maybe the first season, I don't remember) stealth ships are tracked by their hulls' IR. So it's not like the stealth ships are that stealthy, they're just painted black, the hulls are cooled to reduce IR, and all of their waste heat is sequestered somewhere magical.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

In the book, wasn't the sales pitch being made to the UN and not Mars?

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Also, I won't be able to see this until tomorrow, so I don't know what happened at Venus, but the Arboghast had a significant event occur 42% of the way through my ebook.

I'm pretty sure that's the event we saw tonight, and it's pretty much exactly like how it is in the book, which I thought was pretty impressive, but it doesn't translate to TV perfectly.

Number Ten Cocks posted:

This season has diverged quite a bit. In the books Bobbie ends up with Avasarala in a much different way (and spends time as a liason/gofer on Earth before they leave for Mao's ship) Mao is in a different political situation, Prax is very different and conducting a system-wide video milkbox campaign for Mei (with counter progaganda from his ex-wife funded by shadowy UN domestic intel units), etc. The military situation is also different in some subtle ways the show has ignored or downplayed.

They made some major changes to Prax's adventure, but overall, I think I like the TV version of him more. I'll be surprised if they go through with the milkbox/gofundme campaign of his in season 3, but they might. I doubt it though because it feels like they've really downplayed Holden's social media presence in the show compared to the books, and Prax's thing ties into it.

Bobbie was totally imitating the Terminator at the end there, had she told Aversala "Come with me if you want to live" when she reached out it would've been perfect. The look Aversala was giving her then was great, she really sold the moment.

Sammus fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Apr 20, 2017

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

VagueRant posted:

The Arboghast scene while beautiful was probably a bit too vague and strange for show-only viewers, could've done with people reacting to it to really sell it?

This 100%. I was happy to see that they made it happen like they did, but it didn't work as well visually as it did in the book.

VagueRant posted:

But man, the Bobbie stuff is kind of a constant disappointment. Felt like they really undersold her power armour. Her slowly throwing dudes seemed like something the show was already having Frankie Adams do without power armour? Wanted it to be almost cartoonish, with dudes getting effortlessly getting smashed through the goddamn ceiling. In the books didn't she literally rip through the ship from the outside? I know it's down to budget, like the tragically lost Ganymede scene. But the writing suffers a little too, there's an interesting tension to setting up her "formal wear" in advance, versus just dropping it out of nowhere right when she needs to get to it. The whole scenario just worked better in the books for me, down to an incredibly compliant captain.

I really like Bobbie, but yeah, they're doing her role a tragic disservice. The final fight scene with her was a huge disappointment. It even looked goofy as gently caress when she threw the last guy to the ground, like they didn't get the effect quite right.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Atlantis had this

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Invalid Validation posted:

That girl is also a major character in Dark Matter.

Holy gently caress. I never realized she was 5 until just now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

The lady who plays Avarsarala is in The Punisher. :neckbeard:

• Locked thread