Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Phy posted:

Any Texans - is Cas Anvar's Mariner Valley drawl for Alex anything like a real Texas accent or does he sound like some goob trying to imitate Mission Control? Because honestly that's what I pictured the Mariner accent as anyway.

The books point out how it's all highfalutin affectations anyway, and in various times of stress, Alex tends to lessen or drop the accent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Apropos of no particular post, I hope us book-readers can keep spoilers to a minimum and let people speculate about the direction that the show is going in. It's fun to see what people can come up with, and you never know when Ty and Daniel will decide to throw a curveball at us.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Reminds me of when I noticed that the mug on the Mass Effect 3 loading screen is an Ikea FARGRIK mug

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

FuriousxGeorge posted:

I have to imagine that as an alcoholic Earther I would have a really frustrating time if I went up into the belt.

just drink from the bottle like a real alcoholic

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I really hope they develop Bobbie more once they get to Ganymede. The rah-rah semper fi attitude that she wears on her sleeve is one-dimensional and getting stale, fast.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I played the poo poo out of Mass Effect, so I couldn't help but think of Keith David when imagining the stern black war hero boss. But Coleman has seemed all right so far, except for one odd beat in the latest episode where he responds "What?" and it sounds really wooden.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Eiba posted:

The diagram was really interesting.

(I'm spoiling this 'cause I'm a dirty book reader erring on the side of caution, but I'm only pointing out what we saw in the show already without offering any explanation) The orbital path of Eros changed at a pretty sharp angle. It's veered inward, and doesn't appear to be on a circular orbit anymore. That would indeed take a (pretty massive) acceleration, but we were watching the whole time from Miller's perspective... and he wasn't jerked or slammed into anything. There were no signs of acceleration.

If the protomolecule can defy the laws of physics by instantly altering the trajectory of an entire asteroid, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt when it comes to the resulting effects of acceleration, or lack thereof

Platystemon posted:

Holden had some major character development, putting down some more‐or‐less innocent people like dogs.

That kid was him once.

It also very conveniently set up Miller's crisis, with the debris from the explosion. I was curious where they were going with the introduction of the Marasmus, but that tied things together nicely.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

The only other one I can think of is the old manga/anime Record of Lodoss War, based on essentially transcripts of D&D sessions. Not sure if there's anything else out there.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I liked that they actually showed the transmission delay between Earth and Luna in that conversion between Chrisjen and Arjun. That's something that comes up every now and then in the books as a realistic consequence of communication over long distances that hasn't been addressed until now.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Evernoob posted:

Ye well sorry, that's maybe one aspect they had to change a bit.
They couldn't find a 6'3 and 250+ pounds of musclular polynesian actress.
They had to settle for a little less, and honestly they found a great match.

A few months ago the bookreaders in this very thread were literally in love with the casting, and now many people are judging the character on a few introductionary scenes that even predate the source material.

What they are doing is instead of suddenly introducing a new character and immediately have a lot of stuff happen to her, they introduce the whole crew (with a slight focus on Bobbie) to give her some background and then only later really make her part of the central story.

Books can devote whole chapters on background stories after introducing a new character. This is much harder in TV as the only way to do this properly is flashbacks and origin episodes.

I think I mentioned this before, but I'm disappointed at the pre-book scenes with Bobbie because they've already demonstrated in season 1 that they can write great pre-book stuff with Avasarala. Normally I would be willing to give a TV adaptation a pass for that, but the Expanse has raised the bar significantly.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Amos is so god drat good. The idea that he would try to make it up to Alex by giving him an excuse to punch him tickles me, because of course that's how a guy like Amos apologizes.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Oh gently caress, he was Lane Pryce? I didn't even realize it. Great god drat actor.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Eiba posted:

I think... I think Dawes is a good guy.

He's an antagonist, but I don't think he's been wrong about anything.

The only real criticism of him is that he's power hungry or something, but he seems to pretty responsible and community oriented with his power, so that's not so bad? He's right about Johnson having a more barter/property based kind of logic, while Dawes is working with the whole gift economy mentality of the Belt. I think that Belter mentality of sharing what you can, and ostracizing hoarders is... probably a pretty solid basis for a non-exploitative economy. Johnson doesn't really seem to get that aspect of things intuitively.

Dawes has a more adversarial view of the system than Johnson or Holden, but he's not a dumb belligerent nationalist. He agreed about returning the nukes, even those are really tempting to hold on to as a symbol of power. He realized, no matter how it feels, they're kind of useless in achieving their goals.

So I think I'm actually on Dawes side here. Is there anything terrible about him I'm forgetting?

There are two things that characterize the Belters: being essentially indentured servants to Earth and Mars since they were "other" enough to be called Belters, and the good-of-the-community, measure-twice-cut-once mentality of putting environmental considerations before all else. These two have condensed into a multitude of factions that all call themselves OPA, all hating the Inners to varying degrees--which obviously doesn't help the perception of them.

Johnson is trying to legitimize the OPA, using the nukes as a bargaining chip to try and get a seat at the table when it comes to negotiations with Earth and Mars. Dawes wants to unite the Belters as well, but under the banner of independence, without needing to be all buddy-buddy with the Inners.

Dawes is the bad guy from the viewer's point of view, because he's working against what Holden and Johnson (who serves as Holden's patron) are standing for. But that's what makes him compelling--the best villains are right.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

enraged_camel posted:

But Cortazar isn't even in the books, right? So the incongruence of Holden's behavior can't really be blamed on the books, at least for that particular scene.

(I never read the books so I don't know.)

Cortazar is featured in one of the novellas, the other two of which cover Amos's past on Earth and the Anderson Station situation. There's also the short story Drive, about Solomon Epstein's creation of his eponymous drive.

That said, Cortazar's situation is very different between the show and the novella.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

the next episode can't come soon enough

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Excited to see how Ganymede goes down. And having Holden gently caress up the Somnambulist situation was a nice touch; it was a weird place to end the episode, but having real and immediate consequences for his idealistic bravado keeps the character grounded.

Also, more space lasagna :woop:

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Baronjutter posted:

Inners don't care about belt people.

:vince:

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

NmareBfly posted:

Because now that I think of that just goes to show how much belter babies are valued. Earth babies happen on Earth, Mars babies happen on Mars. Belter nurseries are farms because the 'people' that emerge just more grist for the mill for the inners to chew up and digest. I initially forgot that these are belter kids we're talking about.

What? Ganymede is a farm in the traditional sense of providing crops for food--hence the greenhouse domes and orbital mirrors. It just also happens to be a good place to go and have kids. "Farm" isn't some weird pejorative implying the low value of belter life.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Number Ten Cocks posted:

You're into future season territory. You should probably stay away from that stuff.

If you're not all caught up on something, nothing good can come from reading the wiki, no matter how diligent they are about putting spoiler warnings at the top of each page. I had the big twist to Knights of the Old Republic spoiled for me because I decided to look up something completely unrelated on Wookieepedia.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Toast Museum posted:

Heads up, audiobook people! The new Jefferson Mays recording of Cibola Burn has been released, and people who bought the lovely Erik Davies version from Audible get the new one free. Just re-download the book and you're good to go.

Hopefully it's something they'll fix soon, but it looks like it lacks the usual Kindle integration at the moment. With every other Expanse novel, you get a discount on the Audible version if you already have the Kindle e-book, and they've also got a nifty feature where it'll pick up where you left off when you switch between the audiobook and e-book.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Errinwright's confession was an interesting twist. I wonder to what extent he and Avasarala will work together from here, or if Mao's going to screw him over for snitching.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I was reading this article about the Expanse and came across this choice quote:

quote:

In early 2002, Abraham met up with George R.R. Martin for dinner. Martin asked him, “So Daniel, how do you feel about a three-way with two old fat guys?” The author wanted Abraham’s help to complete a long-unfinished manuscript.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Bobbie is my waifu :allears:

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Errinwright is a hipster

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

radical meme posted:

I finally caught up with the season and I have to say that, I love the Chrisjen Avasarala character more and more (get to the loving point) and I'm really enjoying Bobbie Drapper also; Bobbie cramming cucumber finger sandwiches into her mouth like she's never eaten before was some funny poo poo. I like strong female characters and they are two of the best. But, good lord, I was sad to see Joe Miller go.

Has anyone read the novels, are they worth picking up?

they're real good

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Ban all bookchat

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

counterfeitsaint posted:

How many books are there, and is the series finished?

I assume this chat will devolve into equal parts book chat, and whiny loving book readers making passive aggressive posts about how people don't like bookchat, so I'll be needing something else to read until next season.

Six books out with nine total planned, and they've pretty consistently​ been releasing one a year. There's also a couple novellas that cover events in the past or events happening elsewhere.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Re: Holden, do you guys think a different actor would've made his scenes land better? I don't know anything else that Strait has done, but I feel like a big weakness of the character has just been the way he's written. He's kind of one-dimensional by design, and though they've taken measures to punch up his character development for the show (yes, he's even more bland in the books), I don't know how much you can alter his trajectory while still following the major story beats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

The new novella, Strange Dogs, is out now!

• Locked thread