Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mental Hospitality posted:

I marathoned the first season a couple weeks ago and enjoyed the show quite a bit. Kinda bummed I can't watch it live due to my work schedule.

I like the Martian's, even if some of their patrol ship grunts are huge assholes. :argh:

They are basically smug space communists.

:smugbird:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Kingtheninja posted:

That's solely for outside the US right? No Netflix plans stateside?

All the talk about the blu rays has me interested in them, but I have season on Amazon so I'm probably keeping with that for S2. Assuming it'll look good enough.

Well people have pointed out the streaming video quality is pretty good.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Eiba posted:

Man, they got a six foot tall Maori boxer and people still complain that they didn't cast her like they imagined her in the books? Jesus.

It's impossible to please nerds

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

DentArthurDent posted:

I'm sad to see that the AV Club seems to have dropped coverage of The Expanse for its second season (unless they are really late posting about it). Whoever reviewed the first season didn't really seem to get the series all that much, its a shame they could not find anyone else. It also did not even rate an honourable mention in their 2016 Best of TV lists.

It's ridiculous that they can't bother to cover what is arguably one of the best sci-fi series on TV right now, while continuing to cover crap like "Legends of Tomorrow". (Actually, I have never seen a single second of Legends of Tomorrow, it might be great, but how many superhero shows do we need?)

The Onion AV is very bad and i'm sure their reviewers probably post in CD forum.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

They should ditch the plot for one episode and do the Space Mormon comedy club.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mental Hospitality posted:

I noticed that AV Club picked this show back up and reviewed the last episode. I wonder if it's because it's amazing, or their readers dogged the poo poo out of them for ditching it after season 1.

I even got my 60 year old father watching this show and he's not even into science fiction.

lolling at anyone who takes the AV Club or their very bad reviews seriously

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

probably doesn't help that none of the new martian characters seem to have any chemistry with each other.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Justin Credible posted:

And as another example the Martians who get the crew to the Rocinate had more weight and gravitas when they get smoked and all but one of those dudes was just in a full mask suit the entire time. They acted like professional soldiers.

Yeah the Season 1 martians seemed like a believable professional military while season 2 martians are gung ho parodies out of a Tom Clancy novel.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Antti posted:

The radio filter applied to all the chatter gave me immediate Homeworld flashbacks when the Nauvoo was launched.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvOj_2sJ1ok

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

It wouldn't be so bad if the shot didn't start on one side of the Nauvoo and go to the other side. Like the protomolecule wanted to be a super bad rear end and jump in front of the train just before it passed.

protomolecule just wanted to make Miller fill up his space diaper

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

VagueRant posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktnPXYSaqGg
preview scene for ep 6. Good scene. Lots of Amos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzSCvzVmh40

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Miller banged the belter girl and then got to make out with a protomolecule.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

the best thing about the amazon stream is being able to skip the angry martian marine scenes.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The Season 1 martians had just the right amount of smugness.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

We hate earth so much we wasted time making earth like kettlebells!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

get it right martian marines should be smug space communists like Lopez(RIP) not a group of whom soldiers would be at place in a airsoft tournament.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Addendum:
Protogen Hiring Manager: We cover medical, dental, empathy lobe microwaving, and every other Friday is Ice Cream Day!

I'm sure those assholes have a slide at their HQ like Google.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The whole Holden telling the crew he's banging Naomi scene was the funniest thing on TV i've seen months.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

MizPiz posted:

His exchange with Amos after the reveal is definitely one of my favorite Amos moments, save for all the others.

Also his face when Alex and Amos gave him a unexpected reaction.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The is realistic since future Baltimore also still sucks

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Quorum posted:

On the other hand, it is well known that the more Baltimore sucks, the more amazing the television dramas about Baltimore become. Future The Wire must be incredible.

E: avasarala for Baltimore mayor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1kK7uNdCpE

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Collateral posted:

Yes. Dawes is back.

best Belter accent in the whole show.

Loved the season 1 scene in which he dunks on Miller at the bar

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziLkBIrmTLg

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

all the book spoiler meltdowns and fights itt makes me think the whole Game of Thrones in Space comparison was accurate.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Miller also had that amazing haircut and a space fedora

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

The only way show Bobbie gets redeemed is if she indeed becomes the next Julie Mao protomolecule mesiah

*Crashes Asteroid into New Zealand killing millions of hobbits*

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Platystemon posted:

In the books, Miller was really a cat.

He put all his points in disguise and was able to successfully pass as a human for years.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Belters are bad and the Inners should genocide them.

Not to mention Belters dress like twiggy space hipsters

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lmao

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

tooterfish posted:

Uh, Miller didn't get friendzoned.

He wore her down with negs like "YOU'RE AN ASTEROID NOW".

Playa.

Miller had a makeout session with a WMD before getting killed

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Clumsy real-world analogies aside, I do love how the show/setting is so progressive and post-racial but in the shittiest way imaginable.

You have all these groups where nobody cares what gender, colour, sexuality you are, everybody's pulling together for the goals of their community.

It just happens to be those goals are to gently caress over the neighbouring planet. Humanity hasn't moved past prejudice, it just got bored of it's old ones and replaced them with planetism instead.

The whole show walks this fine line between being darkly cynical and joyously uplifting, and it's brilliant.

Plus the whole hilarity for how things rapidly spin out of control from a cold war to a full blown shooting war.

Sort of how the tangled web of alliances made WWI such a bloodbath even though original intent of the alliance was to create a balance between all the main super-powers.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

karrethuun posted:

Renewed for Season 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJbmB9k2Y88

http://www.tvguide.com/news/the-expanse-renewed-season-3-syfy/

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

vermin posted:

Just caught up with the latest episode. Good stuff. Waiting for the Nauvoo to come back into play. I'm honestly surprised they haven't mentioned it since Eros but I guess everyone's been busy with nukes, aliens, and conspiracies.

I need to start watching the episodes when they premiere or buying episodes. The viewership's been declining below 500K per episode. It's a drop of water in the ocean and losing viewership happens to all shows but I really wouldn't want this gem to get cancelled.

Well it already got renewed for Season 3

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

There was Shomi, which was free with my internet and was actually quite good. They had a lot of older movies netflix didn't have. Crave on the otherhand is rear end.

Anyways, I finally caught up with the show and god drat, everyone is an rear end in a top hat, but the Martians seem to come off as the least assholish of the 3 factions. Earth wants to make sure everyone knows they have the biggest dick, while the OPA seems more interested in just causing chaos without any thought of the outcomes of the actions, thinking that they'll be left in charge.

I like how this show is what Firefly was trying to be, but without all the cutesy literal western in space stuff and overly clever characters. Actually that's what got me to watch, seeing some browncoat asshat freaking out over an article saying that Firefly fans should watch The Expanse.

In this grim dark future only space Mormons and martian space communists are the good guys.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Polaron posted:

Obviously it was Prax's haircut.

The dress like Portland litmus test

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Tiggum posted:

How would that help? The problem is that people discussing the books in the TV thread is annoying. It would still be annoying if I'd read the books, because this is supposed to be the thread for discussing the TV show, not the books.

It is Game of Thrones in Space

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

R-Type posted:

And everyone talks like they're in a Die Antwoord video.

And everyone dresses like they're in a Die Antwoord video.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Longbaugh01 posted:

He had already done a video previously about expanse costumes.

Most badass costume had be season 1 one Avasarala had when she visited Holden's family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The TV series is better than the books

• Locked thread