Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

worst pizza party ever...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Invalid Validation posted:

I just got caught up with the show again I still really miss Miller.

slay those who didn't like the space PI haircut

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

Holden failed Naomi's loyalty check :lol:

forgot to do the side missions before the main quest?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

:smugbird:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Longbaugh01 posted:

Without Holden being Holden we wouldn't have moments like Alex's "Here we go again" when Holden tells him to open a channel.

Best laugh in the whole season had to be the bit when he confesses to the crew that he's banging Naomi

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

counterfeitsaint posted:

The Roci had a lot of noticeable damage from scraping around inside the ag dome. Even if it did take more damage from missile, the hole the protocrap man was hiding in obviously would have had to have been made before that.

It's pretty cool how similar to BSG the ship shows the battle damage history especially after getting patched up after the station assault episode

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Zzulu posted:

Amos is big and strong and my friend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-rM5VyxVHk

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

the best part of that line was Bobby stuffing her face in the background

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Accretionist posted:

The characterization she's getting is great.

I'm glad they're taking her in a different direction than I expected. I thought the heavy-handed and naive jingoism was setting her up for a fall but it was setting her up for hard disillusionment to change her direction, and what she's been up to so far has been thoroughly entertaining

She got actual character development and even some funny moments after getting cut loose from the We hate earth military caricature platoon.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

HERAK posted:

And coincidentally this coincided with where her plot starts up in the books.

Pretty much intentional I imagine especially showing how getting thrown under the bus was the life changing incident that brought her close to cucumber sandwiches.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

fridge corn posted:

I got 20 minutes into the first episode of The 100 and turned it off because it was garbage

It's one of the shows in which the first season takes a while to get going due to the old exposition trap.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

am0kgonzo posted:

I agree that Holden isn't an interesting character, but liking Amos more doesn't say much, because Amos is obviously the best.

Holden is basically lawful good Killjoy, Amos is interesting because he's a nihilistic, unpredictable murder golem.

Also confirms that future Baltimore still sucks dick

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

I think so. The first episode is a huge misdirection. The show turns into Lord of the Flies in the most sudden and unexpected way soon after, and gets better and better from that point forward. It does have a few romance plots but their theme is definitely not teen drama

It's a bait and switch in the best possible way. First episode makes it feel like your standard CW show with beautiful people but then it quickly switches over into a bleak post-apocalyptic atmosphere.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pharmaskittle posted:

I agree that arm guns are a cool idea that looks very lame in action. It'd be cooler to have them use oversized rifles and maybe have micro missiles that can pop out of their arms or even racks that raise out of their shoulders. Hell, give them a predator shoulder gun.

Edge of Tomorrow got it right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJvARtLMlvQ

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Really, Avasarala is constantly talking about that moron James Holden's latest action or public pronouncement. Fred's not any nicer when the aggravation of Holden exceeds the utility he gets out of him (but usually more the Rocinante).

The season one line by Fred Johnson owns when he meets Holden for the first time.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Kesper North posted:

They have said they approach the show as basically being the "second pass" at the novels, and that it is more the way they want the series to be, I think. They're just committed to different choices in the books at this point.

Yeah the writers admit that they felt while working on the series many aspects of the book could be improved which led to things like the donkey balls episode.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Best comedy moment for season 2 still had to be Holden making the banging Naomi confession to the crew.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

This is a really cool look at Ceres station

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32cSZUFNHrs

I was a little confused on where the nice part was in relative to the lovely part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCqjR1gHyIQ

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

hump day bitches! posted:

Going to back to the expanse, I can only imagine Wes Chatham as Amos, that dude just nails the character and delivers the lines in a deadpan but with a cheeky undertone that is hilarious.He also has the super menacing look required for it.
The whole series feels like a super tight version of the books.Shame about the lack of Yojimbo and powerarmour but eh you cant have it all.

His best moment had to be his reaction when he learns that Naomi hooked up with Holden.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ineptitude posted:

Just finished binge watching season 1 and 2. Haven't been this entertained watching TV in years, and can't wait for season 3.

Is this a popular show? I have never heard anyone talk about it, the only reason i even heard of it in the first place was because i saw a GIF from the show on imgur and wondered what the source of the GIF was from.

(Im just worried we might not get more seasons than s3, or maybe not even that one)

Not really popular in terms of actual ratings but hopefully all the streaming services means it will get a wider audience over time.

I'm also glad that it got a 3rd season despite the weak ratings

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sammus posted:

The lady who plays Avarsarala is in The Punisher. :neckbeard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1kK7uNdCpE

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

sebmojo posted:

Just watched the first couple of Altered Carbon, and that's some good gritty hypernoir cyberpunk if you're looking for such. Thread over here.

It's sort of of uneven but I enjoyed it overall. Perfect fix until the next season of The Expanse comes out since they both have similarly bleak settings.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yeah he's the best part. Also echoing the uneven sentiment. If you or someone you know likes noir or sci fi it's definitely a recommend but man there were a bunch of eyerolling moments.

It's the perfect holdover until the next season of the Expanse starts especially since both shows have similar themes.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pander posted:

"like" is a complicated question. Best place on the issue is somewhere between rooting for him and :stonklol: at what he does.

Best scene had to be the bet payoff scene with Alex

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

There is a novella called The Churn which is entirely about where Amos comes from, if you guys want to know more. It's pretty good.

He owns since he's basically a nihilist also he grew up in future Baltimore which still sucks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-rM5VyxVHk

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAKJoEO21s0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJbmB9k2Y88

• Locked thread