Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What if Earth is just padding their numbers? Yeah, there's totally 30 billion people in our buildings here, don't bother coming over to check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

bull3964 posted:

How are people watching the first two episodes already? Syfy hasn't released them early and the premiere isn't until 10pm tonight.

Maybe there was a release on a private tracker somewhere.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It will probably end up on Amazon a few months before season 3 like Season 1.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It wouldn't be so bad if the shot didn't start on one side of the Nauvoo and go to the other side. Like the protomolecule wanted to be a super bad rear end and jump in front of the train just before it passed.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The Nauvoo plays Faith of the Heart on loop endlessly until all occupants are dead. It's part Mormon adventure and part Vaultec experiment.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
"There was a transmission before Eros moved out of the way of the Nauvoo"
"What did it say?"
"Hold my space beer"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They don't have to stop Eros, just slow it down enough that it's orbit falls into the sun eventually.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Not really. There are several things they could do to alter the orbit of Eros. They could hit it in a way that would be equivalent to a radial burn to move the orbit so it hits the sun.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Luckily they had a free spaceship with a bunch of magic drives.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The entire existence of the Mormon church is pretty much "We don't like you, go away" and they say "Ok, we'll go off to this wasteland."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Is Miller the first person to bang an asteroid?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

gohmak posted:

I'm gonna miss the Roci drone. gently caress those MSF guys for taking it out.

Pretty sure they have more.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm not really sure why they put his story in this episode.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Based on my guessing, the UN side on the ground got attacked by whatever that protomonster was. They radioed up to the sky to say something was attacking them. The UN ships didn't get the whole message and couldn't figure out what was going on. They decided to just attack the Mars ships before they had a chance to enact whatever plan they might have had.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It could work somewhat. Have it run radio silent, not have much of a radar signature and have some sort of shroud to hide the burn from someone looking head on.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Are the rail guns so powerful that they are ripping through the entire ship? You'd think they would bury the command center in the middle to provide some buffer.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Even if people living like that were possible in this universe, it doesn't make any sense for them to live like that in what seems to be the capital of Earth, especially with how close it all was to where Bobbie was. If I were the UNN, I would make sure that no hobos were living around the UNN building. You don't want diplomats coming from Mars and wherever and seeing that you can't even provide for your own people. Even North Korea makes sure the people living in Pyongyang look like well fed normal people.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Tested just posted a video of him going through makeup.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They would argue that any money given to the basics to spend on things would just be taken from their own pockets by the government and given back to them by the basics.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm not saying I agree with the post I made, that's just an argument someone with lots of money who doesn't want to pay taxes would make.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If they have lots of money and they live comfortably, why would they care about the lowest dregs of society? We live in a world where there's a family of billionaires who got their money from a company whose employees have to go on food stamps to survive. The rich saying "gently caress the poor" isn't a far out scifi concept.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Is there a middle class on Earth? If it is just people on basic and then the super rich, I could see them not caring about selling to the basics at all. Rich people want to buy expensive things because the things are expensive and they need something to spend their money on. Businesses could get by making products exclusively for the rich. No matter how much of a stimulus a basic gets, they won't be able to afford the super expensive items. There would be no incentive to give basics more money. There would be an incentive for middle class people running middle class businesses to want the basics to get more money, I suppose.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The only way it would make any sense is for them to move all the basics to the midwest and places with lots of open land that most people don't want to move to. Or maybe allow people already living in nice areas to go on basic there if there is room. No one is allowed to move to a nice area and go on basic. Anyone they don't have room for gets moved somewhere else.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 31, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The whole thing bothered me. Are thrusters enough to break orbit of whatever moon he was around? If he's slingshotting around, no way would be be able to instantly reverse course with just thrusters. It would have been better if he had started out doing a burn and then going silent and using thrusters to manipulate his trajectory to get to Ganymede. Getting there with just thrusters made no sense.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Also, how did that MCRN ship not spot him? If I were assigned to watch a no fly zone, I'd be blasting out radar and whatever other detection technology I have to make sure no one gets through.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Perhaps they were also running dark.

Why? It's an MCRN no fly zone, everyone on the system knows it, so everyone knows MCRN ships are there. There's no reason to run silent when enforcing a no fly zone.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

ZorajitZorajit posted:

What happened with that incinerator scene? Is that relevant to anything, or was the cgi just REALLY bad?

I guess it was just to show the one guy that protomolecule exists and that they were experimenting with it in that lab.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Don't worry, you'll be able to buy that backpack from every etsy store in a couple weeks.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Boing posted:

I love the way his body intersects the holograms. Watch this scene again and they have so many little touches, like how he traces the lines of the orbits with his finger and the holograms respond to it. And the way his ring reflects the hologram beams as it drifts through the display. Incredible.

Then they throw it all away with that loving incinerator flash sequence :negative:

When does he do that? All I see is him making some random gestures.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Wow, you really goofed that up.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
20 of the missiles didn't explode and are controlled by ISIS now.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Was that a normal grenade that was tossed into the room or was it perhaps a Proto molecule grenade? I ask because it seemed to turn at least one person into a Proto molecule monster

What? That protomolecule person was inside that holding cell and escaped once the grenade went off.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The horizon is probably lower on Mars due to its smaller size so their equilibrium is off when they look at the Earth horizon.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
So they were able to follow those people into that room the whole time?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
He wasted too much time getting those power ups.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Did they not have enough of the suits or something? Surely they could have grabbed some non speaking extras. The dialog makes it seem like there were more people. "We formed a line" doesn't sound all that impressive when it's just 4 people standing 10 feet away from each other.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

unlawfulsoup posted:

It was the first result on GIS and I liked that it was a planet that had a belt on it.

Those are rings, not a belt. "Belters" refers to people who live in the asteroid belt.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
How are Wes Chatham and Aaron Douglas not the same person? I was thinking he was the guy from Battlestar but that was Aaron Douglas.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Crazycryodude posted:

I think it was mostly the multiple years it's been since I've watched BSG combined with the fact that they're both no-nonsense beefy white engineers around the same height with buzzcuts and beards

Yeah this. I had never seen Wes Chatham before and Aaron Douglas was just a memory from the last time I watched BSG so they blended together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Longbaugh01 posted:

Face Blindness is a long-held tradition on Something Awful and continues to wreak havoc across its community.

They look similar you troglodyte.

• Locked thread