Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

That is one a hell of a thousand word picture. :smith:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

KirbyKhan posted:

Thot is a fun word ya square olds.

A word so monomaniacally devoted to depersonizing and dehumanizing :females: that it sacrifices flow, meaning and usability to do so. It can't function grammatically in even the most grammatically loose American dialects.

It's a one use joke: "Who's thot?" Then nobody gets it, and you have to spell it out. The guys who are always talking about :females: chuckle.
It's like a six year old's first booger joke. Except the booger joke doesn't need to be explained.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Stultus Maximus posted:

I'm assuming troll or parody.

I'd say yes

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

The 22nd's banner, as well as individualized banners for the 10 other US Colored Troops regiments mustered at Camp William Penn near Philadelphia, were made by David Bustill Bowser, a member of a prosperous and active black Philadelphia family. He was (primarily) a commercial painter. Bowser was also a businessman, philanthropist, abolitionist, recruiter, actively in civil rights of the day in PA and Philadelphia, a stop on the Underground Railroad, and painter of a portrait of John Brown from when Brown spent the night at the Bowser's. His wife was a seamstress, which worked well for their business.

There is at least one surviving USCT banner, from the 127th. That banner informs/verifies the bold colors on the replicas of the banner from the 22nd. There are contemporary (or at least within 25 years or so) pictures of a few of the regimental banners, including the 22rd, which is how the form of the replica was preserved. Several USCT banners were given to the West Point Museum for preservation in 1906, but were thrown out in 1940.

The "th" as a generic abbreviation for any ordinal number was apparently a thing in the mid to late 1600s. It may have been a printing/typesetting issue(?) rather than a spoken or written convention. In any event, 200 years later in 1863, 22nd would have been abbreviated the same way we do. Bowser also did the banner for the 3rd USCT Regiment, and abbreviated it 3RD So who knows why the 22th?

joat mon fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 12, 2019

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Nystral posted:

Wtf? I guess they weren’t kept in archival conditions?

quote:

Richard Sauers wrote in his book, Advance the Colors! Pennsylvania Civil War Battle Flags that many of the USCT flags made their way from the State Mustering office in Philadelphia (where a flag was held for safe keeping) to the War Department for storage. In 1906 they were transferred to the Museum at West Point. Documented in this transfer are the flags of the 22nd, 25th, 32nd, 43rd and 127th USCT. By the start of WWII storage had become an issue, and the condition of some flags had become so poor that they were discarded. Sauers mentions that only one flag identified as a Pennsylvania USCT remained in the museum in 1940, but he does not state which one.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Victor Vermis posted:

Generational labels arbitrarily demarcate everyone's shared decent into the existential terror of chattel consumerism.

"Karen", the wiley point-of-sale Kapo, covets the elevating power of keister'd diamonds.
And so it plumbs the depth of its rear end in a top hat. And arms itself with the contents.

YOU STOLE MY DIAMONDS
It shouts, thrusting turds in every direction, jockeying for position in a queue to nowhere.

AND YET YOU NOW POSSESS EVEN LESS THAN I
It sprays and cackles, folded over and vacating into its own mouth.

FETCH MINE EQUAL SO THAT I MAY RECTIFY THIS INJUSTICE
It barks, vomiting poo poo on all who attempt to help it.

Animated by Gerald Scarfe.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

:vince::vince:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

The zipline of death was pretty good while it lasted.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

What sort of idiotic derail are you loving grammarians trying to create over some dick graffiti. I may be a poo poo poster but holy gently caress y'all are dumb.

I wish you'd waited for it to build to a PoMo deconstruction of that particular bit of shitter art.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Quote is not edit.
Imm'a a idiot.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 17:32 on May 16, 2020

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Softface posted:

"Kosovo is Serbia" and (I think) "Serbia remembers Clinton's cock"

The quiet part being "Kosovo is Serbia, and it would still be true if Clinton hadn't helped stop us from ethnically cleansing Kosovo."

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

aphid_licker posted:

Wait, Mongolia??

She'd already done 73 takes and didn't want to do it again.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Uh other than the “Where we go one, we go all” part, which I don’t know wtf is about, that’s just the standard oath of office.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Maybe it was a corporation?